Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Is a “Disaster” That’s Worse than the Original, Critics Say

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Nightdive Studios finally released Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition this week, but the majority of players seem to be very unhappy with what the developer has done with Westwood's classic 1997 point-and-click adventure inspired by Ridley Scott's acclaimed sci-fi film.

Go to post

If they didn't have the source code why not just rebuild it in a more modern engine? It would likely give them the ability make it look more like the original by not limiting them to a janky, reversed engineered 30 year old engine. Such an extreme waste of time and resources. Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing and no plan to do it.

If they didn't have the source code why not just rebuild it in a more modern engine? It would likely give them the ability make it look more like the original by not limiting them to a janky, reversed engineered 30 year old engine. Such an extreme waste of time and resources. Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing and no plan to do it.
Then it would take 6+ years, like their System Shock remake.

Wow, the first time I heard of Nightdive f*cking up a remaster/new port of a classic game. I wonder what in the f*ck happened. Not the kind of work I'm used to seeing from them.

Wow, the first time I heard of Nightdive f*cking up a remaster/new port of a classic game. I wonder what in the f*ck happened. Not the kind of work I'm used to seeing from them.
Yeah, I read some similar statements in the other review threads I skimmed through. People familiar with their work are genuinely surprised this turned out as it did.

Yeah, I read some similar statements in the other review threads I skimmed through. People familiar with their work are genuinely surprised this turned out as it did.
Well, the previous games were all basically FPS-es using similar 3D engines. This is an entirely different type of animal.

All they had to do was make the shell of a point and click adventure using literally any existing modern day game engine and then "trace" the old assets, updating them for the new engine. All the art, design, audio and story work was already done for them.
I'm willing to bet a group of high school seniors could do a better job.

All they had to do was make the shell of a point and click adventure using literally any existing modern day game engine and then "trace" the old assets, updating them for the new engine. All the art, design, audio and story work was already done for them.
I'm willing to bet a group of high school seniors could do a better job.
They tried to do this. But this game is rendered and built in a unique way to most every other game out there.

They tried to do this. But this game is rendered and built in a unique way to most every other game out there.
Entirely irrelevant... They weren't asked to mimic the rendering mechanics, they were asked to mimic the game.
You can make a point and click adventure using almost any modern game engine out there then just have a few halfway decent artists redraw the original backdrops. There is no reason this game couldn't have been remade to mimic the original using modern tech, none at all.

Entirely irrelevant... They weren't asked to mimic the rendering mechanics, they were asked to mimic the game.
You can make a point and click adventure using almost any modern game engine out there then just have a few halfway decent artists redraw the original backdrops. There is no reason this game couldn't have been remade to mimic the original using modern tech, none at all.
Oh of that I have near zero doubt. I'm only guessing but I think they wanted to honor the original tech and bring it forward. And by all accounts if they did at all it was only by a decade. And that is too bad.

Become a Patron!
Back