ROMA: World’s First Native RISC-V Laptop Announced with Quad-Core CPU, 16 GB RAM, and Linux Support

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
DeepComputing and Xcalibyte have announced the ROMA, the world's first RISC-V development laptop.

Go to post

I like that RISC-V is making progress.

The world could use a license free instruction set.

In an ideal world, it would be RISC-V that eventually supplants x86, not ARM.

We don't need to replace one instruction set where innovation is obstructed by proprietary claims with another.

I wonder how it performs.

This sounded interesting until I clicked on the link...

Some highlights:

"The first 100 to pre-order the ROMA will receive a unique NFT, but it doesn’t seem to be clear what the laptop is officially priced at."

'“With built-in PoS, NFT, and MetaMask-style wallet, ROMA is born for the Metaverse,” said Yuning Liang, Founder and CEO of Xcalibyte and DeepComputing.'

"A Web3-friendly platform with NFT creation and publication plus integrated MetaMask-style wallet, ROMA will create an even more integrated experience with future AR glasses and AI speakers operating entirely on RISC-V software and powered by RISC-V hardware.

"Companies contributing to ROMA’s development include DeepComputing (engineering), PW (assembly), Xcalibyte (system tuning), ECP (security), XC (crypto), Rexeen (voice), LatticeX Foundation (PoS blockchain, NFT)."

This sounded interesting until I clicked on the link...

Some highlights:

"The first 100 to pre-order the ROMA will receive a unique NFT, but it doesn’t seem to be clear what the laptop is officially priced at."

'“With built-in PoS, NFT, and MetaMask-style wallet, ROMA is born for the Metaverse,” said Yuning Liang, Founder and CEO of Xcalibyte and DeepComputing.'

"A Web3-friendly platform with NFT creation and publication plus integrated MetaMask-style wallet, ROMA will create an even more integrated experience with future AR glasses and AI speakers operating entirely on RISC-V software and powered by RISC-V hardware.

"Companies contributing to ROMA’s development include DeepComputing (engineering), PW (assembly), Xcalibyte (system tuning), ECP (security), XC (crypto), Rexeen (voice), LatticeX Foundation (PoS blockchain, NFT)."

They mean "Point of Sale", but it reads much better if you use the other abbreviation POS stands for.

That takes this from interesting to "hell no" in my book.

Yeah, any time I see POS I have to do a double take as well. If I hadn't had some retail experience, decades ago, I wouldn't be familiar with the term.

It's a shame they had to through NFTs into this. Oh well.

Seems like they're trying to hard - whatever sticks, etc. - and that projects a lack of confidence.

Still, it's not like there's no reason for excitement. Working RISC-V hardware that is affordable and available is a net positive for adoption, and as we've seen with ARM as implemented by Apple, x86 isn't the only instruction set that's capable of being used to push single-thread performance.

They mean "Point of Sale", but it reads much better if you use the other abbreviation POS stands for.
To be honest, my mind didn't attempt to expand that initialism as it was too focused on the accompanying buzzwords. But now that you mention it, it's interesting because point-of-sale is conventionally abbreviated in all-caps, whereas proof-of-stake is usually formatted as "PoS". (At least in my experience.) I wonder whether that was by accident. 🤔

To be honest, my mind didn't attempt to expand that initialism as it was too focused on the accompanying buzzwords. But now that you mention it, it's interesting because point-of-sale is conventionally abbreviated in all-caps, whereas proof-of-stake is usually formatted as "PoS". (At least in my experience.) I wonder whether that was by accident. 🤔
I could also be wrong. I'm not hip to all the crypto lingo.

You know, I hadn't even considered Proof of Stake but that does make sense considering the merge is on its way, some day, some year, etc.

You know, I hadn't even considered Proof of Stake but that does make sense considering the merge is on its way, some day, some year, etc.

I keep hearing that, but as time goes on, "the merge" is more and more starting to sound like some religious belief in the end times that is supposed to come, but then gets readjusted when it doesn't :p

Didn't you guys get the memo? The deadline for Ethereum's transition from "proof of waste" to "proof of stake" is firmly set to six months from today. Just as it was six months ago. ;)
I could also be wrong. I'm not hip to all the crypto lingo.
Oh, your interpretation is probably correct. I was just confused by the reference to Point of Sale (POS) because the snippets from my earlier post were quoted verbatim from the article, and I hadn't considered the meaning or use of "PoS" an essential part of the message from the Church of Crypto. I thought it was suggested that the quotations were chosen because of the term PoS (to mean Proof of Stake). Not that it matters — I may have a tendency to overanalyze things at times.

POS could also mean Parts of Speech, Power on Standby, Partially Ordered Set, [hundreds of other possibilities], or my preference in the context of crypto: Piece of S**t. :D
I keep hearing that, but as time goes on, "the merge" is more and more starting to sound like some religious belief in the end times that is supposed to come, but then gets readjusted when it doesn't :p
I do consider cypto a religion at this stage in its existence. It has the defining characteristics of one. There was a related post in the news section about a new "NFT-based" console. The crypto cultists clearly fear the death of their religion and seek new platforms to promote their get-rich-quick pyramid schemes. Crypto brings out the worst in humanity, and if it all goes up in flames yesterday it won't be soon enough. 🔥 That includes the buzzword-enriched Web 3.0 dystopian vision and all its Metaverses too.

Become a Patron!
Back