NVIDIA May Delay GeForce RTX 40 Series to November Due to Oversupply of GeForce RTX 30 Graphics Cards

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Overstock of GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards could prompt NVIDIA to delay the launch of its GeForce RTX 40 Series, according to Moore's Law is Dead.

Go to post

And they get no sympathy from me. They gleefully went along with and allowed the POS scalpers and miners to rape the stock for 2 years leaving their long time customers forced to either do without or pay 400% markup. Now hopefully the chickens will come home to roost and the glut of used GPU's will hurt their sales for a little while. I know, just a drop in the bucket but I would take some satisfaction out of it.

Maybe they will just have a **** ton of cards ready to go on launch day so everyone willing to pay msrp can get one? Naaaaaa....

In the end, these are all just rumors and hyperbole. From all the leakers and their supposed inside sources to even NVIDIA. There's been a number of times I've heard that something won't happen only for NVIDIA to turn around the next week and make its own announcement that it will. I remember some release announcements like that with various Pascal, Turing, and Ampere cards. No matter what, I feel they'll roll something out between Sept-Dec but, of course, I could be wrong. The only guarantee is that if AMD announces an actual release date first, you could bet money that NVIDIA would retaliate with its own tick-tock response. At the moment I wouldn't count on Intel to act as a catalyst for NVIDIA with anything but AMD has seemingly been one on more than one occasion.

The only guarantee is that if AMD announces an actual release date first, you could bet money that NVIDIA would retaliate with its own tick-tock response.
This is certain, the only question would be hard vs paper launch.

All nVidia has to do is announce - and most folks will hold out waiting even if it's an entirely paper launch -- but that will also put the brakes on depleting the gray market inventory so they want to delay that as long as possible. But yeah, if AMD announces, they will do something inside of the next week, almost guaranteed. They don't want their stock price to take a hit because of perceived competition.

AMD has to come in faster and cheaper and in quantity for it to actually pull ahead.

Considering 3080s are still going for well above $1000 I doubt there is such an oversupply. Unless nvidia is burying cards in a landfill in their backyard.

Considering 3080s are still going for well above $1000 I doubt there is such an oversupply. Unless nvidia is burying cards in a landfill in their backyard.
Two thoughts:

The first is, prices went very far above MSRP. Everyone wants to sell as high as they can, so they don't take too much of a hit. So prices started at something astronomical

The second is, prices are continuing to fall. Supply<-->Demand is tilted towards Demand's favor right now, so prices are drifting down, and will continue to do so until those two factors stabilize somewhat.

They just started at a really high number, and have a very long way to fall. There is probably a floor there somewhere; i know I wouldn't pay anything close to MSRP for a used card, but someone who bought it at 200% of MSRP may think of that as "Hey, I'm already at half of what I paid" -- and that's probably the point where the cards start to either sit in closets or get chucked into landfills.

Maybe there will be no mining surplus apocalypse with used cards. Part of it would be nice; we'd see 4000 series cards sooner. Part of that would be a disaster - the price hikes we've seen with the 3k series would stick and there'd be less to hold it in check.

I think Nvidia is going to raise MSRP on 40 series by 30-40% over the 30 series. What do they care? They'll still sell like hot cakes. They'll just be more mindful of production, maybe even create some artificial supply constraints to keep prices and demand high.

They'll just be more mindful of production, maybe even create some artificial supply constraints to keep prices and demand high.
Yup. That ties back into the TSMC story where nVidia asked to lower their production order, and TSMC said "No".

They could still just park the chips in a warehouse and allow them to trickle out, it just isn't the preferred option.

Yup. That ties back into the TSMC story where nVidia asked to lower their production order, and TSMC said "No".

They could still just park the chips in a warehouse and allow them to trickle out, it just isn't the preferred option.
Yep and over the weekend I saw a clickbait story about Intel possibly delaying something and while I didn't read it I did see that it mentioned them and these rumors in the description.

This method is a slippery slope because then how much profit do you need to make up for the fact that they sat in a warehouse? And what if your competitor has something better? Both are going to hold off on introducing new cards to market until the other blinks first.

What really will show is if AMD just says... "We are releasing cards to market NOW." And allowing reviewers the chance to pre review the hardware.

Yep and over the weekend I saw a clickbait story about Intel possibly delaying something and while I didn't read it I did see that it mentioned them and these rumors in the description.
On the graphics side: Intel has to ship something before they can delay it.

Unless you mean delaying the previously announced delay to be an even larger delay.

On the graphics side: Intel has to ship something before they can delay it.
Well supposedly they have a warehouse full of cards, they can ship them as soon as the driver team gets their act together

Become a Patron!
Back