Meta (Oculus) VR Headsets Will No Longer Require Facebook Accounts

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Meta is addressing one of the chief complaints that Oculus VR headset owners have had regarding their devices.

Go to post

An account with Facebook that is not a Facebook account.

How much do you trust that...

"followers"

"not a social media account"

Pick one. They are mutually exclusive.

There was a moment there in 2020 where I was actually slightly inclined to try VR, but it passed long ago. Thanks, but no thanks.

It's clear that Mark doesn't want his establishment to be known as FB anymore (I mean, can you blame him), and he desires that *Inc.* label to be much more. But the question is, what (and it's not the so-called metaverse)?!

There was a moment there in 2020 where I was actually slightly inclined to try VR, but it passed long ago. Thanks, but no thanks.
There are headsets available that are not associated with Facebook. I’ve been curious about the pimax, but 8k might be a touch tough to drive with current video cards. Would also be interested to hear about experiences with the valve index.

I was all about 3D tech for a while but since I already wear glasses I was never a fan of the extra weight and pain from even more gear on my face. When the VR headsets came out the first thing I thought was heck no, this is just too much. I'm going to wait it out for glasses-free tech matures more but I'm glad VR is around because the industry will continue to feed R&D for other technology. At this point just having a display that checks off all the major points is enough.

I like my oculus. Just used my wife facebook account and disabled whatever it does to connect the facebook crap with the vr. I don't think its a big deal anymore to do a facebook account, make private and be friends with no one with it... It can probably be made into something like a gmail account.

There are headsets available that are not associated with Facebook. I’ve been curious about the pimax, but 8k might be a touch tough to drive with current video cards. Would also be interested to hear about experiences with the valve index.
When I was interested the index was permanently sold out, now due to the international situation it's too expensive to spend on something I might hate.

VR is something I would like to try, mostly the index, but my failing eyesight and the fact that apparently you can easily scratch the lenses when wearing glasses this kind of made me think it's not worth the money for something that I might ruin in 5 minutes just using it.

Who lnows maybe someday I'll try the Playstation VR thingie, that is at least cheaper.

but my failing eyesight and the fact that apparently you can easily scratch the lenses when wearing glasses
We got all this sniz today; quantum computing, deep learning neural networking, etc. but none of these MFers can get behind an AFFORDABLE *TRUE* SOLUTION to aid our people in their daily lives, huh?!

Nah, this sniz isn't deliberate. 😒

I've never tried VR, but active/passive 3D on HDTVs and the glasses-free 3D found on Nintendo 3DS always worked out a lot better for me when I was using my contact lenses vs wearing my glasses. And yeah, when you have glasses, it's annoying to put yet more gear on your face.

VR is something I would like to try, mostly the index, but my failing eyesight and the fact that apparently you can easily scratch the lenses when wearing glasses this kind of made me think it's not worth the money for something that I might ruin in 5 minutes just using it.

Who lnows maybe someday I'll try the Playstation VR thingie, that is at least cheaper.

Do you need to wear glasses under the hood though? I thought the lenses were adjustable to compensate?

Become a Patron!
Back