First Officially Licensed M.2 SSD for PS5 Announced by Western Digital and Sony Interactive Entertainment

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Western Digital and Sony Interactive Entertainment have released the first officially licensed M.2 SSD for PlayStation 5 consoles, the WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD for PS5 Consoles.

Go to post

The nice part about the PS5 - you don't ~need~ a licensed product to work.

A lot of folks will buy it just because it has the PS logo on it as is officially endorsed -- so they know it will work if they have no other idea and are just looking at SSDs on the shelf at Best Buy.

That reminds me, folks. A bit off-topic but in the vein of it at least. Prime day is tomorrow and who knows, there might be some decent gen 4 2TB SSDs on sale.

Your link says 176.60€ for me (I don't realy like that amazon links always get redirected to more local versions)
$109 for me here in US. I guess international rates may vary.

I also read somewhere else the WD 850 black is on sale for prime day around the same price (may not have a heatsink tho)

$109 for me here in US. I guess international rates may vary.

I also read somewhere else the WD 850 black is on sale for prime day around the same price (may not have a heatsink tho)
Yeah, I saw it and a few other PS5 SSDs on sale between 189-200. Wow! While just googling 2TB ssd's on BB and Amazon I was shocked at the markups for the PS5 certified drives. I had a $70 cert from when I bought my new monitor last month and ended up pulling the trigger on a Crucial P5 Plus 2TB gen 4 at BB. It was $10 more than the Prime day sale but with tax it came to $140 so I'm pretty happy and I was able to do a store pickup. It has some great reviews on both sites so I'm looking forward to using it and moving my other drive which will become the new OS drive and then I'll ditch the SATA drives.

The fact that Sony is demanding lice song for something that goes in a standard PC form factor slot is enough to make your blood boil.

A drive is a goddamn drive. This pay to play bullshit ought to be illegal. If I were to buy a PS5 (which I won't), I should be free to put whatever goddamn drive I please in it.

Nothing less should be acceptable.

A drive is a goddamn drive. This pay to play bullshit ought to be illegal. If I were to buy a PS5 (which I won't), I should be free to put whatever goddamn drive I please in it.
You can use any PCI 4 2280 NVMe drive on Playstation. There are minimum speed recommendations, but to my knowledge, they are not enforced via a white list or any other mechanism. You do not have to buy a licensed (or loused) drive

You can not on Xbox. It has a proprietary connector.

Yeah, I got a GIGABYTE AORUS Gen4 7000s SSD, 1 TB in my PS5, works fine. As long as the drive you put in passes the built in benchmark it should be good.

Become a Patron!
Back