NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti Founders Edition Drops to $1,599

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA users who have been waiting to pull the trigger on green team's newest flagship graphics card might want to head over to Best Buy.

Go to post

Yeah, that's right up there with the 2080 Ti killer for $699 aka the 3080. Just checked BB and lol it's still sold out but the cheapest new on Prime is $799.

I am shocked though. This 3090 Ti FE is in stock at BB. I can't remember ever seeing an RTX 30 series FE that didn't disappear before my eyes as a bot snagged it. The times are a-changing.

If rumors are accurate (which they may not be) the upcoming 4070 will give you the same or similar performance, with an MSRP of $400*.

(*as long as crypto doesn't come roaring back before then)

It's always idiotic to buy a flagship card at the end of a generation. The only time they ever come close to making sense is if you buy them right at the start of the gen, as soon as they are launched. At least that way you can spread that insane price point out over several months to over a year of dominating performance, instead of having something faster and cheaper come along in only a couple of months.

with an MSRP of $400*.
That's about how much I spent to step up to the 3090 Ti I now have. Still pretty happy about it. Seriously no complaints other than having missed out on this:

1657826248093.png

Who cares about an Fe with you can get a liquid cooled factory OCd card for the same price. This a beast of a card and right now it comes with the NV Face Your Demons 4-game bundle.

Some people just really like the FE versions, I guess.
This is true - among a few other points:
  • FE cards are usually the first to get custom water blocks
  • FE cards are a known quantity - and come with unique air-cooling solutions that may be more amenable to less standard desktop configurations, i.e. ITX
  • FE cards are sold by Nvidia themselves - could be a positive if their service is better than some AIBs

FE cards are usually the first to get custom water blocks
It's funny how many times I've read in a thread somewhere that the 1st thing a new owner did after unpacking an FE card was to begin removing the cooler and heatsink.

FE cards are a known quantity - and come with unique air-cooling solutions that may be more amenable to less standard desktop configurations, i.e. ITX
I was psyched to see that the Hybrid 3090 Ti I just ordered is only ~788mm in length and 2 slots wide since it's going into a mid-size case that's more suited for ATX. I'm not sure how one would work for an ITX but coming from a HAF I'm pretty excited.

Does nVidia still service and provide warranty service or did they punt all of that through Best Buy as well?
Good question. Hadn't thought about that before. I doubt BB would've picked that up but anything's possible.

I would like to think that will happen, but very doubtful.
I agree

It will be all of those things... on paper.

It will be a few months before mere mortals can get their hands on them. It only took, what, almost 2 years for the 3000 series to finally get to the point where a regular non-bot, non-miner willing to pay 2x, non-influencer given a review copy, non-lucky person who happened to get hot through a queue or drop was able to get their hands on them at anything near the original announced pricing.

Now, I admit, that was something of a perfect storm. But Pascal was very similar. So was Maxwell, iirc. Turing wasn't as bad, but Turing also didn't have nearly as large of gain numbers on initial launch - just really brought RTX/DLSS stuff, and rasterizing wasn't hugely improved (that, and Pascal was just a really good product with some longevity).

I hadn't heard these rumors about the upcoming 4070 having an MSRP of $400, or having similar performance to a 3090 Ti. Methinks my 1080 Ti might finally get replaced. Not that I actually believe these rumors.

I hadn't heard these rumors about the upcoming 4070 having an MSRP of $400, or having similar performance to a 3090 Ti. Methinks my 1080 Ti might finally get replaced. Not that I actually believe these rumors.
Well some rumours also say that MSRP might be up 30-40% compared to 3000 series seeing how many numpties were willing to overpay for those.

Yep, and I remember all too well how almost every announcement from 3070 up touted a 2080 Ti killer last round for a fraction of the price. From performance to the price that didn't really happen. Even now with prices crashing the cheapest 3080s are barely breaking the $1K mark. If that perfect storm had not happened there probably would've been some truth but it is what it is.

I believe that we all have seen that usually, the current gen flagship is replaced by one tier below in the next-gen, not two or three down. Maybe NV will offer some kind of price-corrected near top-tier card but then how is that going to affect the rest of the stack? Are they in a position to drop all the prices down as inflation and other supply chain-related issues persist and if so will bots still be used to scalp them? If bots do make a return will NV step up with its purchasing process to prevent them? Like I said earlier, there are still a ton of what-ifs regarding the next releases.

Are they in a position to drop all the prices down as inflation and other supply chain-related issues persist and if so will bots still be used to scalp them?
This. With everything else being higher in price in the world currently I highly doubt these cards will be any cheaper. Again I hope I'm wrong.

I believe that we all have seen that usually, the current gen flagship is replaced by one tier below in the next-gen, not two or three down.
Yeah, exactly. That's how it usually was in the past.

I remember all too well how almost every announcement from 3070 up touted a 2080 Ti killer last round for a fraction of the price. From performance to the price that didn't really happen.
I remembered pre-launch how the 3070 was essentially being marketed as a cheaper 2080 Ti, but I don't actually recall if it even got close to the 2080 Ti's performance. Honestly all I remember from this past generation is how the pandemic, miners, and scalpers/bots took all the supply, and how prices were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the f*ck above MSRP. That's probably all I'm ever gonna remember this generation for. I'm hoping things go very differently with the next generation of graphics cards.

$400 is a lot closer to a more appropriate price for an X070-class card though.

Become a Patron!
Back