AMD RDNA 3 GPUs Could Feature Up to 384 MB of Infinity Cache

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's flagship Radeon RX 7000 Series graphics cards could see a big bump in Infinity Cache.

Go to post

I wonder what the benefit is other than going for 8k textures... I guess.

I wonder what the benefit is other than going for 8k textures... I guess.
Cache will go toward a lot more than just textures. Textures are more VRAM limiting, they don't get a lot of computing done on them, just applied after all the calculations are done.

Cache is for the calculation side of the house. My immediate guess would be for ray tracing, holding mesh maps and trace paths and such, but I'm sure it will be able to help with a lot more than just that on the compute side of the house.

Cache is for the calculation side of the house. My immediate guess would be for ray tracing, holding mesh maps and trace paths and such, but I'm sure it will be able to help with a lot more than just that on the compute side of the house.
I didn't know that. I'm not overly familiar with how infinity cache works with AMD cards. This could be the bump-up that AMD needs to overtake DLSS then. I know they're totally different but it's different ends to the same means.

Well, it reads like big improvements. Hopefully it will translate into good fps, and efficiency.

Well, it reads like big improvements. Hopefully it will translate into good fps, and efficiency.
I would think something like cache would have a limited point of return on performance. Like the difference in windows of 16 gig and 32 gig for the average user is very minimal. Even less so between 32 and 64 gig. (Though I have thought about it.)

I want to see how these compare to the coming generation of Nvidia cards too. Lets hope that AMD doesn't sit on their hands like Nvidia is professing to do.

Become a Patron!
Back