HDD Shipments Drop to Historic Lows in 2022

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
A new report from TRENDFOCUS shows that HDD shipments continue to plummet throughout 2022 reaching historic lows for the decades-old storage format. Combined totals...

Go to post

I'm not surprised with the proliferation of cloud storage where data density is much higher, consumers not needing 10+ TB of storage for all of their data. Ssd drives of any sort being so much faster... the land of platters is coming to a swift end.

It's just the normal trend of things. Everyone going to something faster and more reliable and as @Grimlakin mentioned cloud storage is readily more available.

I'm one of the few "consumers" still buying hard drives, but I am only doing it for my NAS, and I am buying enterprise models.

I don't understand why consumer hard drive models still exist.

I don't understand why consumer hard drive models still exist.
Exactly this, if you need a lot of space for a consumer I think you're probably maxing out around 2tb. (today)

But if you need more than that you also understand your need is going to grow well beyond a piecemail step approach so you go NASA shopping. 20-40TB isn't unreasonable and for those you will shop the RED line or other enterprise class drives because access speed isn't such a big deal any more. You're more concerned about running them in a fire safe or the equivalent.

I wouldn't mind swapping out my 4 x 6tb raid for a 2 x 20tb mirror.... but as long as the drives still work and I'm not out of space on the server yet....it's not worth the tiny electrical savings to "upgrade"

Become a Patron!
Back