PlayStation 5 Is Getting 1440p Monitor Support

Now if they'd add Ultrawide support too, I might even reconsider my decision to not buy it.

I haven't checked the stock since april or may, with exclusives heading to PC there is really no reason to buy one. I'm 99% positive the PS4 Pro will be my last console.
You have a good point. I've been a Sony console owner for a long time, and PS4 Pro may end up being my last as well.

I haven't checked the stock since april or may, with exclusives heading to PC there is really no reason to buy one. I'm 99% positive the PS4 Pro will be my last console.
I had a PS5 and honestly didn't see the hype. Maybe I'm a spoiled PC gamer, but it really wasn't that impressive. I do have a PS4 which I'll just keep because it was a gift from the wife, but it also gets hardly used.

About f*cking time. Sony getting yet another feature that Xbox family had last-gen. As with VRR, again I say, "welcome to last gen Sony."

with exclusives heading to PC there is really no reason to buy one
I'm really hoping that I won't need to get any system this generation. Keep those Sony exclusives coming to PC. I've had at least one console for every generation starting with the 2nd generation. Will be weird to finally go through a generation without getting any of the consoles.

I had a PS5 and honestly didn't see the hype. Maybe I'm a spoiled PC gamer, but it really wasn't that impressive.
No you're not a spoiled PC gamer, consoles in general just aren't that impressive when you mainly game on PC. XBSX and PS5 are lucky they even got to launch with a current-gen GPU architecture. Their CPU is last-gen. PS5 and XBSX are the closest any consoles have been to matching PC at launch, but still they fall short. Not to mention it take a few years after the launch of a new generation of consoles for devs to start really using the power of those consoles. There really hasn't been sh1t in the past couple years to push either 9th-gen system yet, and show what they are really capable of. And like every console generation, the stuff that really pushes the hardware won't come until closer to the end of the generation.

Last edited:
Their CPU is last-gen. PS5 and XBSX are the closest any consoles have been to matching PC at launch, but still they fall short. Not to mention it take a few years after the launch of a new generation of consoles for devs to start really using the power of those consoles.
Hmm, you say something interesting here.

If the hardware is last gen, or at least on the lower end of current gen -- why does it take years for devs to actually start using the power?

Seems like it would be the same on the PC side then - or is it the PC side can just brute force through it and gloss over any inefficiency?

If the hardware is last gen, or at least on the lower end of current gen -- why does it take years for devs to actually start using the power?
Sony consistently has a way of shaking things up with each new gen the all various improvements take developers years to really reap the harvest. It's very similar to what we see with PC every time a new iteration of DX comes out. Even though I stopped buying consoles after the PS2 slim came out I've kept a pretty close eye on Sony because they tend to be a bit more unique with some kind of cutting-edge tech. The PS4 was a bit odd in comparison to the PS 1-3 but that's because they made the jump to AMD APU but then are getting custom chips now which adds another curveball for the developers to adapt to. This time around they've got the SSD/memory stuff plus trying to do RT and whatever unique flavors are involved.

MS does the same thing with Xbox but this gen had a few more things going on as well similar to what Sony was doing since each are getting their own custom APUs from AMD. Meanwhile, inch-by-cyber-inch they are getting closer to PC levels. PC brute force can definitely happen for those lucky enough to own the hardware. From Batman Arkham Knight to Horizon Zero Dawn there are more than a few examples of games that have needed an unusual amount of hardware to get a decent experience on PC.

Hmm, you say something interesting here.

Seems like it would be the same on the PC side then - or is it the PC side can just brute force through it and gloss over any inefficiency?
At least for this generation, availability has been so bad that developers can't exclusively target it. They have to make sure their game runs on last gen or it won't sell on console. It's probably more exaggerated now, but a factor for past generations, too.

Yeah, I remember for both the PS1 and PS2 the best "looking" games came out either the year of or before the next-gen came out as well. Even without supply chain issues, the developers are always on the tail end of the release schedule. The PS4 represented a major change as Sony walked away from the Cell processor but then the PS5 is basically 2nd gen PS4 with enough tweaks and upgrades to add even more complications to the process. Factor in the steps to get it to 'enhance' the older games and there's yet another set of tweaks a dev team has to tackle.

I was impressed by what I saw from the PS5 teardowns, especially considering what it'd cost to build a comparable PC. There are pros and cons to gaming consoles when compared to a PC, and I won't attempt to enumerate them all, but moving games to a dedicated device separated from my PC is one of the reasons a console is beginning to appeal to me. Access to exclusive titles would be a minor bonus at best.

Problem: I haven't owned a console since the 1990s and am mostly clueless about the present software distribution model, which includes ways of obtaining games at a discount. Do console games routinely go on sale a few years (or whatever) after they're released? I also don't know whether it makes sense to to wait for the PS5 Pro at this stage. The digital edition seems like a no-brainer. Is there a PS5 guide or FAQ for newbies?

This post probably qualifies as off-topic, and for that I apologize. The console gaming subforum seemed inactive, but maybe I'll post my questions there and someone will take pity on a poor console newbie. 🎮

Do console games routinely go on sale a few years (or whatever) after they're released? I also don't know whether it makes sense to to wait for the PS5 Pro at this stage. The digital edition seems like a no-brainer. Is there a PS5 guide or FAQ for newbies?
Yes, console games do go on sale, but the discounts aren't as deep as what you see on the PC side. I know at least on the Sony side, after a couple of years some titles move to "Playstation Hits" and the price comes down a good bit permanently -- not sure if this is just first party titles or if third party titles extend to it.

If you get the disc drive, there is still a gray market for physical media, but it's very much diminished - the prices aren't discounted deeply, you still have large patch downloads, and a lot of publishers will lock content behind redeemable DLC-type transactions that aren't included in the base physical media --- once they are redeemed from the initial purchase that code is spent and subsequent users of the media would have to purchase the DLC.

The drive unit does work as a 4K blu-ray player, if that's of any value. Apart from that, yeah, the drive has little value on the Sony side. On the microsoft side, the S edition without the drive is a much slower chip than the X edition with the drive, it's actually slower than the previous generation XB1X Pro.

Waiting for the Pro or Slim -- tough call. When they do finally come out, very good odds the exact same thing will happen to them that is happening to current hardware -- it'll be nothing but scalpers for the first several months, if not years.

PS Plus is mostly required for online multiplayer games (not universally, but mostly) - it's microsoft analog is XBL. It also gives access to a couple of free games each month - you only keep access to those for as long as you remain subsequently subscribed -- you drop the sub and you lose access to all of the accumulated free titles unless you purchase them. They recently added tiers to PS+ so that it's similar to XBGP - the middle and highest tier have libraries of titles to access similar to Netflix - if you don't mind the subscription model. Both PS+ and XBGP are nice ways to get an immediate boost to your gaming library if you are new to the system.

Most people will chose a camp (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo) based on what all their friends are playing, or based on exclusives they want to play. Sony tends to err more towards it's japanese roots, with a lot of RPG-heavy titles that don't always make it to Microsoft, whereas Microsoft tends to lean more on racing and FPS titles. Most of the big AAA titles will make it to both sides, eventually.

Problem: I haven't owned a console since the 1990s and am mostly clueless about the present software distribution model, which includes ways of obtaining games at a discount. Do console games routinely go on sale a few years (or whatever) after they're released? I also don't know whether it makes sense to to wait for the PS5 Pro at this stage. The digital edition seems like a no-brainer. Is there a PS5 guide or FAQ for newbies?

Stuff on sale all the time. Usually if you are just patient and don't fall for day 1 hype, stuff is usually half price in 6-9 months after release. Or less.

Also, bc the PS5 "next gen" is out, PS4 stuff on sale everywhere. I've mostly been buying cheap PS4 games that I missed. I feel like my PS5 is the best PS4 ever. I maybe only own 4 PS5 games and 2 of those were from PS+. The other PS5 games I played I made sure to buy on disc so I can offload it after I finish. And there is nothing wrong with buying used.

Digital only consoles are for chumps and/or rich people that don't care.

If you're not on slickdeals.net they have a game section. For example I saw on there that Best Buy is doing a $10 game a day promotion lately. Today's was Nioh 2, I think yesterday was COD Vanguard.

Now nothing can compare to the deals you can get on PC via the bundle sites like Humble bundle, Fanatical, etc. It's bc of these I have an infinite game backlog on PC.

Now.... even if you could walk into a store today (or online, you know what I mean) and buy a $500 PS5.... is it a massive upgrade over PS4 pro? Nope. I would say it's not even a massive upgrade in graphics over base PS4... but it is a lot faster.

I still have my launch model PS4. I was going to wipe it and sell it but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Some would argue that the best way to do consoles is buy the last gen model and enjoy all the cheap "last gen" games. I did this with PS3, bought at the end of it's life cycle and enjoyed all the cheap exclusives.

PC gaming is best... but man I work on computers all day and by end of day last thing I want to do is sit in front of another PC.

PC gaming is best... but man I work on computers all day and by end of day last thing I want to do is sit in front of another PC.
I hear ya. Same for me and it's depressing. I'm so happy with how my rig is now and so sad that when I get home my eyes are basically telling no to looking at another screen.

This is legit. I mean, I love my PC, but every time a Windows Update breaks stuff again, or yet another driver update goes wonky, or something... I just kinda grind my teeth a little bit. I mean, that's part of the reason I love them - the tinkering around, but I won't deny that it's less than ideal when it starts to occur too frequently or at the worst possible time. PCs are miles better than they used to be, reliability is vastly improved, but they still aren't perfect, especially on the OS side...

But sometimes I just want to sit on the couch with a beer and unwind with a mostly mindless game, and consoles are exactly perfect for that. Occasionally a console will lock up, but it's far and away the exception that you have to reset a console or fumble with the settings. The most difficult thing I usually have to do with a console is pair the controller for the first time. And the entire user interface is designed around sitting on a couch with a beer in one hand - there isn't really anything you can't do with just the controller (not saying that a KB/M isn't often superior, just that it isn't required)

Console games go on sale almost as often and as deep as PC game sales (except for Nintendo systems). I usually don't buy games until they are $20 or less. Every game I have on PS4 I paid $10 or less for (except maybe one of them), and that includes brand-new sealed physical copies. For example, I bought new physical copies of HZD Complete Edition, God of War 4, Uncharted Collection, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and Gran Turismo Sport direct from Amazon for $10 each in 2019. Some of those games were also on sale for similar prices in 2018 at other stores like GameStop (but don't give those @sshats your money). Some games that I bought digitally like Wipeout Omega Collection I paid just $5 for, from a PSN sale. Sometimes Sony also gives digital games away for free to keep forever. They did that with Uncharted Collection (which I grabbed so I wouldn't have to use my disc) and R&C 2016 back in 2020, I believe it was. My brother's brand-new physical copy of Insomniac's Spider-Man for PS4 which he got a couple years ago or so was just $20 (and it included all DLC). So f*ck Sony charging $60 for the remastered version on PC. When that sh1t is $20 or less I'll grab it (or I'll just access it through a friend's Steam library share). Leaning towards less. I laughed when Halo MCC launched at $40 on PC cuz at the time it could be found on XB1 for $15.

I used Sony as an example, but I see similar sh1t go down with Xbox game sales. Various storefronts, or even Microsoft's own Xbox Store, routinely have sales on Xbox games. As for Xbox GamePass, I have friends who are very fond of it, but it isn't for me. I would rather wait for a game to get cheap and then buy it and actually own it.

Nintendo on the other hand will sell you games that are a decade old for full f*cking price, and the cheapest you'll ever see them go on sale is usually $40. Not much of a sale at all. Sometimes I've seen a few miracles, for example I bought NSMB U Deluxe for Switch for $30 from Best Buy. That's a MASSIVE price reduction for a Nintendo game, and I could not believe it was being sold for such a "cheap" price. But of course a game that old that was merely ported to a newer system shouldn't even have a regular price as high as $30. And with Switch games, physical copies tend to cost a decent amount more than digital because of the cost of the cartridges. Now for some Nintendo games Nintendo will actually release cheaper versions of, such as Bayonetta 2 on Wii U for $25, or DKC: TF for the same price on the same system, as part of their "Nintendo Selects" program. Of course when they ported those games to Switch, they were back up to full price.

I'm the wrong person to weigh in on when is the proper time to grab a console, cuz I always grab consoles when the generation is at least halfway over, if not at the end. I've even been known to get consoles after their generation has ended. I got an original Xbox after X360 had already come out, for example. And now that we've all been through 8th-gen and saw how those consoles got upgraded (something Nintendo started in previous gens with the likes of the DSi and the New 3DS, to name a couple examples), it makes me even more inclined to wait. Plus now Sony is releasing their exclusives on PCs, and so while I wait years for PS5's library to get padded out and the prices to come down, it may end up being the case that I will never need to get a PS5 at all, cuz all those exclusives will hopefully end up on PC. If I had known some of those PS4 exclusives like HZD and GoW4 were coming out on PC, I would have never played them on console. A friend offered to let me borrow his PS5 to play HFW, but playing HZD with a controller was painful, and I do not wanna deal with that again in the sequel. I'll just wait for the PC version. And if by the end of the generation the game never makes it to PC, then fine, I'll consider playing it on console. And hopefully by then, PS5 Pro or whatever will have been out, and will have a discounted price. Cuz one thing I will never do is pay launch prices for a console (and I don't buy consoles until there are at least 5 must-have exclusives on them). I've had a console every generation since 2nd-gen (and after 4th-gen I've had every console for each generation), but I'm kinda hoping that 9th-gen will be the first generation where I won't feel the need to get a console at all. I prefer to game on PC cuz to me PC is the ultimate video game platform, not just because of hardware power, but also freedom. You are free to use what controls you wish, or modify game files if needed/desired, and the community is often there to fix developer mistakes.

Yes, console games do go on sale, but the discounts aren't as deep as what you see on the PC side.
I mean GOG and Steam are still the king of sales, and places like GMG and Humble Bundle, but I still see console games get very cheap from time to time. But yeah especially if you're looking to pay less than $10 for games, PC storefronts are hard to beat. I bought Doom 2016 a few months after launch for 50% off, and the year after that it was 5 f*cking dollars. I have seen $60 games go on sale for $5 two years later. Nintendo, are you seeing this sh1t? Stop being a bunch of @sswipes. This is why people mod your systems and play your games for free, or use emulation.

it's microsoft analog is XBL
Well Xbox Live Gold, technically speaking, cuz Silver is free. But yeah you need PS Plus or XBL Gold to play games online. One thing I do like though is that you get free cloud saves on XBL Silver, same as for Steam, GOG, and other PC platforms. Whereas on Sony and Nintendo systems, you have to pay for their online subscriptions to access such a feature. Not as big of a deal on Sony systems where you can backup your saves on local media such as USB flash drives (at least on PS4 and PS3), but on Nintendo systems, if you don't soft-mod the system then you're screwed.

Stuff on sale all the time. Usually if you are just patient and don't fall for day 1 hype, stuff is usually half price in 6-9 months after release. Or less.
Yupz, this is definitely true. You don't have to wait long for massive discounts on most games, same as on PC. I never get games at launch, I always wait for sales. Plus the longer you wait, the better condition the games are in. Give the devs time to fix issues and add features and whatever the f*ck else.

Digital only consoles are for chumps and/or rich people that don't care.
I knew a few guys who bought PS5s, and every single one of them got the one with the disc drive. I still like physical media myself. Through most console generations, a lot of games I've gotten to play just because I was able to borrow them. Although in later gens like 8th-gen, it wasn't as big of a deal cuz friends would just loan me the system to play their digital games. I got to play a lot of PS4 games before I had a PS4 just cuz of friends letting me borrow their systems. But yeah if I already own a system, it would be better to just borrow a physical game for that system, and not have to borrow a whole system just to play a digital copy.

One thing people don't talk about is how much faster games install from a disc than when you download them.

I feel like my PS5 is the best PS4 ever.
I have a friend who has only had two consoles in his life before PS5: NES and N64. One of the reasons he got the PS5 is cuz it can play PS4 games, and it can run those games way better than PS4 Pro. He felt he should go with Sony cuz Sony killed it with the exclusives in 8th-gen, and Microsoft games come to PC anyways. Kinda ironic though cuz now Sony exclusives are ending up on PC. Ignoring that, if I had known PS5 was gonna run PS4 games, I probably would have skipped PS4 altogether. I got base XB1 as a gift, but if I had followed my original plan, I would have been waiting for the price to come down (and decent exclusives to show up), and then seen that XB1X came out, so then I would have been waiting for a price drop for that (by which point I would have found out about XBSX), and also that Microsoft was releasing their exclusives on PC, and that this would become a normal thing. So then I never would have ended up with an XB1 at all. And I wouldn't have gotten XBSX either, cuz why bother, all those games are on PC. I actually like XBSX hardware more than PS5, but as a PC gamer, XBSX is useless to me. Well not entirely true. I use my base XB1 to play original Xbox games, and some X360 games (not all my X360 games work on XB1 though), so XBSX could have been an extension of that (and would certainly run XB1 games way better than my base XB1). Also getting any 9th-gen system to use as an Ultra HD blu-ray player would have been handy, except I don't buy blu-rays, I grab rips. So the only reason I ever have to grab a console is for exclusives that will never show up on PC.

Anyways, back-compat is very handy, even for people like me who keep all their systems. Sony made the right move. Of course that was made easier by the fact that PS4 and PS5 are both AMD64. I have a PS3 unit that doesn't have back-compat, and my PS2 Slim currently doesn't read discs (and the memory card ports are wonky), so my only recourse for PS2 games is emulation on PC, until I get my PS2 repaired or replaced. While I mainly play my PS1 games on PC via emulation, I've also made decent use of my PS3 to play PS1 games. And before that I used to play my PS1 games on PS2. Most of my friends missed PS4 Pro cuz they had base PS4 (whereas for me PS4 Pro is the only PS4 I've ever had), and now PS5 is well above and beyond that, so that works out very well for them to continue enjoying their PS4 games. Or like the friend I mentioned before, who hasn't had a console since N64. PS5 being able to run PS4 games (and also having access to some games from previous Sony systems) has been working out very well for him. Well except PS3 games on PS5, cuz those run via streaming, and my friend said it's @ss.

Speaking of streaming (yeah I'm getitng off topic), I tried Xbox Cloud streaming earlier this year, and that was surprisingly usable and playable. Then again, the friends who house I was at said that both the Verizon FiOS backbones and the Microsoft Xbox servers were nearby, so that was probably a contributing factor to how well the streaming worked. Still, worked better than I expected, and certainly better than any of the streaming gaming services I've read about before, like that PoS Stadia, or OnLive before that.

why does it take years for devs to actually start using the power?
Well the first problem involves cross-gen titles. Whenever a new console generation starts, devs haven't quite left the previous gen behind. You'll see games come out on both last-gen and current-gen consoles, and well they shouldn't do that. When you design a game with a previous-gen console in mind, you can't fully exploit the power of the current-gen console. Friends who are playing HFW now are telling me that while the game looks good, it doesn't look as good as it could've been if it was designed just for PS5. The older hardware holds back design and development. I'm concerned about GoW5 cuz of that (which from pre-release footage doesn't look all that much better than 4). I've seen that happen before for multiple gens, and it takes a while before devs finally stop focusing on last-gen hardware and just focus on current-gen.

Also devs have been known to just carry over their dev tools and engines from previous gen, and that doesn't help either. Uncharted 4 was a great example. While the engine was upgraded for PS4, it is still the same engine they've been using since Uncharted 1 on PS3, and it shows. In the old days, when Naughty Dog was under the original leaders and co-founders Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin, they would always make a brand-new engine designed specifically for the new Sony console. When PS4 came out, Naughty Dog did not do this. They recycled the same engine they used for Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us. That engine was then ported over to PS4 for TLoU Remastered, and then they used that engine for Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: Lost Legacy. They finally made a new f*cking engine for PS4 for TLoU Part 2, at the end of the PS4's life. And now that engine will have to serve for PS5, cuz I highly doubt they will bust out a new engine for PS5 any dang time soon. But yeah a lot of us were disappointed with Uncharted 4's graphics, and wondered what could have been if ND had made a brand-new engine for PS4 for that game. Anyways this is just one example, but a lot of devs do it.

The 2nd issue is that when new hardware comes around, the devs aren't familiar with it. It takes some practice and familiarity and a lot of coding experience to get comfortable with new hardware, and then to really wring the power outta it. This is why every single console generation the best-looking games, and the games which utilize the hardware the best, come towards the end of the generation, when the devs have had a lot of time and practice getting intimate with the hardware. The hardware has been out for a while, everyone has their tools and engines set up properly for it, the documentation has improved, the development environments have improved, and the more knowledgeable devs share their expertise with those who are less familiar (for example, Sony designates Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games as hardware support companies that other devs making games on Sony consoles can come to for info and help). Sometimes the console manufacturer's own tools are lacking, and another company will step in and make superior development tools that end up helping out both the console manufacturer and other devs. See Factor 5 on N64 for a very good example of this. A lot of the sh1t they made for developing games on N64 ended up basically becoming standard dev tools for both Nintendo and other N64 devs to use. But yeah it takes a few years after a new console gen comes out to get the ball rolling. Look at 8th-gen, where those systems came out in 2013 but we didn't really start seeing true made-for-8th-gen-hardware games coming out until 2016. I would expect next year we'll start seeing stuff truly made for 9th-gen consoles start to come around. Devs are spending these early years getting their feet wet with the 9th-gen hardware (some of which was still brand-new for PC, like the RDNA2 GPU), and by the time this generation is halfway over, we should start seeing some impressive stuff. But the real impressive stuff will most likely come towards the end, when PS5 and XBSX have been around for several years and devs have already been used to developing for them.

Consoles typically see a lot more optimization than PCs because console hardware doesn't change (well at least it didn't until 8th-gen, where PS4 and XB1 both got upgraded versions, and XB1X was a bigger departure from XB1 than PS4 Pro was compared to base PS4). Not to mention most devs focus development on consoles. Consoles are the lowest common denominator, and unfortunately because most game devs focus on that, PC is never truly properly utilized (except for a scant few devs who still know how to code for PC first then port to consoles, like id Software). Look at 64-bit CPU architecture. We've had AMD64/x86-64 since 2003, but it took 10 f*cking years for that sh1t to become standard in games, thanks to 8th-gen consoles. This was when games finally moved to 64-bit en masse. Same for DX11. We had DX11 on PC for years before the 8th-gen consoles showed up, but DX11 didn't really blow up until the 8th-gen consoles and their DX11-class hardware came along. But yeah, having non-changing hardware is one thing game developers really like, as they can code for a specific console and they know how their game is gonna look and run on every single unit of that console that is out there. With PC there are so many different hardware configurations and software layers and other sh1t, and in the past most game devs didn't like having to deal with that. Ironically thanks to 8th-gen and now 9th-gen, console devs are starting to have to do a bit of that PC-style development-for-multiple-configurations type of stuff. Of course it's not as bad, there are only two versions of the PS4 for example, compared to a million different PC configs, but still it's more than console game devs had to deal with in the past.

One thing I've been waiting to see is which console becomes the development standard for the 9th generation. During 7th-gen this was Xbox 360. Most devs, including Japanese devs, developed for X360 and ported to PS3, due to Microsoft's superior development tools, programming environment, and especially how the PS3's architecture was some crazy sh1t that was difficult to code for. During 8th-gen the PS4 was the favorite out the gate, plus Mark Cerny worked his magic, so devs were pleased with both the hardware design and the dev tools. Although both PS4 and XB1 were based on AMD Jaguar so not as much of a difference between the two systems. There the programming environments were more different than the systems were. So yeah I don't know which 9th-system is gonna be the focus of most game developers, but the two systems are close enough in design and power (both using 8C/16T Zen 2 and RDNA2, although only Microsoft's design fully conforms to the DX12.2 (aka "DX12 Ultimate") spec) that I don't think it will really matter much in the end. Not like 7th-gen where multiplatform games often looked and ran worse on PS3 (despite PS3 technically being more powerful).

From Batman Arkham Knight to Horizon Zero Dawn there are more than a few examples of games that have needed an unusual amount of hardware to get a decent experience on PC.
I played Batman: AK several years late cuz A.) I was burned out after Arkham City (and I also played Arkham Origins), and B.) the PC version was one of the worst ports known to mankind, and in such a terrible-@ss state the devs basically abandoned it. But coming to it years later, I had the hardware to just brute-force run the game, to overcome the extreme lack of optimization. So I played the game at 60fps 4K max settings no problem (and also waiting so long allowed my Batman Arkham fatigue to subside so that I could actually enjoy AK). But aside from games like that, which was an early 8th-gen game (and still using UE3, a customized version of it), if there's one thing I am happy about when it comes to consoles being on 64-bit PC hardware, it's that PC ports tend to be slightly less terrible now that games are being developed on a common architecture (for the most part). A side benefit of making an x86-64 game on console is that x86-64 PCs get a [hopefully] less crappy port, and a bit more optimization than what we had been used to before that. Still, I miss the old days of devs developing a game for PC and porting down to consoles, rather than designing a game for console then bringing it over to PC.

Last edited:
Funny thing is I just got an invitation from Amazon to buy a new Xbox, but I passed. Just couldn't bring myself to do it, as I think it would sit around collecting dust like the PS5 I had did.

One thing people don't talk about is how much faster games install from a disc than when you download them.

Yeah even if there is an 80gb day 1 patch (and isn't there always) it is faster than downloading the entire game and installing digitally. But the days of "throw the disc in and play" are LONG gone. Every game has tons of patches now. And even though I have FIOS fiber 1g internet, downloading ANYTHING from Sony/PSN is STUPIDLY slow. Like hours. Steam/Epic on the other hand download stuff 5x as fast. I'm gonna chalk that up to Sony DNGAF as opposed to technical/server issues.

I haven't had xbox since 360 so can't comment on the MS side. In the 360 days the games were much smaller. Also my internet was much slower. Man I remember "hacking" my 360 to upgrade the 20gb hdd to a 120gb (really was just a firmware upgrade but still) and I thought I was king of the world. 120gb seemed like infinite space back then. Now 2tb won't even hold you very long, the stupid games are 100gb and up now.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back