Prey Is Hulu’s Most Successful Premiere Ever

It was the worst movie I've seen this year, I feel like everyone else saw a different movie than me. It was laughably bad. And not in a so bad it's good way.

From the Critical Drinker's review on it, I got the impression that it's only "good" because the bar has been set so low that it surprises people. He still pointed out several issues with the character and characterization with all the characters as well as the protagonist. She has no known motivations and its just another character that's essentially a description of a character rather than something that's remotely fleshed out. Still, he said it wasn't a complete waste of time and it's better than many of the franchise entries. Again, the bar there is pretty low.

From the Critical Drinker's review on it, I got the impression that it's only "good" because the bar has been set so low that it surprises people. He still pointed out several issues with the character and characterization with all the characters as well as the protagonist. She has no known motivations and its just another character that's essentially a description of a character rather than something that's remotely fleshed out. Still, he said it wasn't a complete waste of time and it's better than many of the franchise entries. Again, the bar there is pretty low.
I've said it a while ago that the bar is set too low, I think in the context of the extraction, which the critical drinker gushed over. I think that was mediocre at best, Prey is just plain bad, still it could be worse. But just because something isn't the worst it can be in every possible way doesn't make it good by any definition of the word.

I mean, if someone was expecting high cinema from a predator movie….
You are already lowering the bar with this statement.

I don't sit down in front of any movie expecting it to be disappointing, especially one that has been described as "surprisingly good" even by non-establishment critics.

I don't sit down in front of any movie expecting it to be disappointing,
I tend to agree with this - I won't even watch a movie if I don't expect to like it.

There are exceptions -- those movies that are so bad it's entertaining. But you are in a different mindset for those movies, like MST3k, and they are few and far between.

I tend to agree with this - I won't even watch a movie if I don't expect to like it.

There are exceptions -- those movies that are so bad it's entertaining. But you are in a different mindset for those movies, like MST3k, and they are few and far between.
A month or two ago we watched one on Netflix. It was French comedy/horror that mixed Dodgeball(in this case an all-girl Volleyball team) w/ Friday the 13th-Deliverance and was called "Girls with Balls". The sad part is that the trailer showed pretty much all the best parts but oh well.

Become a Patron!
Back