Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Is the Most-Watched Star Trek Original Series Debut on Paramount+ Ever

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds appears to be drawing a lot of eyes on Paramount's streaming service.

Go to post

I do like me some Star Trek, but TOS was my least favorite of them all.

They got the formula right with the TNG/DS9 universe, and even through the writing on Voyager sucked ***, I'd still rather watch that than TOS, because it lines up with my preferred TNG:ish universe.

Unpopular opinion, but Kirk was the worst Captain of them all. No one in any armed force (or research organization) would put someone like that in a leadership position.

Picard on the othger had was the very definition of the rational, principled and moral leader.

"the Most-Watched Star Trek Original Series Debut on Paramount+ Ever"

Aren't there only 2? This one and Picard?

Among the blind the one-eyed man is king. Fool me twice, I'm not getting fooled for a third time.

I watched the pilot of STD and it was horrid, even disregarding the Star Trek moniker and viewing it as a run of a mill scifi show. Calling it star trek is a disgrace and insult.

Then I watched the pilot of picard and it was not as bad as STD, but the picrad in it is not the same character as in TNG. There was no reason to continue watching it, it wasn't star trek, just a mediocre scifi flick, one that only got worse with time from what I heard, making me glad I quit after one episode.

These days if someone wants to watch Star Trek, they need to watch The Orville. And I know the line "I can't stand Seth Macfarlane". I have a certain level of aversion to him as well, still I'd burn the entirety of kurtzmantrek on a pyre just for one more episode of The Orville.

I do like me some Star Trek, but TOS was my least favorite of them all.

They got the formula right with the TNG/DS9 universe, and even through the writing on Voyager sucked ***, I'd still rather watch that than TOS, because it lines up with my preferred TNG:ish universe.

Unpopular opinion, but Kirk was the worst Captain of them all. No one in any armed force (or research organization) would put someone like that in a leadership position.

Picard on the othger had was the very definition of the rational, principled and moral leader.

You shall have no other captains before Kirk!

I didn't really watch TOS, apart from a few episodes I caught on cable TV. But I absolutely love the movies with the original cast. Even the ones others hate. Those 6 movies are the most wholesome scifi experience possible.

And while I learned to like TNG eventually, it was a more distant and sterile experience, just as Picard is the most sterile captain. I never had any meaningful emotional attachment to that crew. Apart from a few gem episodes TNG is probably my least favorite series (barring the kurtzman era of course)

DS9 had a horrible first season so bad I almost quit watching it entirely, But glad I kept with it, as DS9 is a monotonic non decreasing function, it keeps getting better and better.

Still my favorite is Voyager, it is the one that clicked with me the most, and while the TV ending sucks, there were novels that expanded the ending and made it whole. They like to virtue signal about diversity nowadays, but it doesn't get much more diverse than this. But not diversity for diversity's sake, and not diversity used as a shield to criticism.

This and Lower Decks are the ones we've enjoyed and actually been able to watch more than once. STD was torture and Prodigy has potential but we both got bored by the end of the first season.

"the Most-Watched Star Trek Original Series Debut on Paramount+ Ever"

Aren't there only 2? This one and Picard?
Discovery and Lower Decks, if you count that -- so 4 Trek shows. Lower Deck is my favorite by a long mile. SNW isn't horrible, but just doesn't always do it for me.

And while I learned to like TNG eventually, it was a more distant and sterile experience, just as Picard is the most sterile captain. I never had any meaningful emotional attachment to that crew. Apart from a few gem episodes TNG is probably my least favorite series (barring the kurtzman era of course)

See I disagree with that completely. When I watch TNG, especially as the series matured, writing improved and everyone get more comfortable in their roles, I see a character that wrestles with the moral implications of his decisions, tries to do the right thing, while remaining calm, trying his best to make rational decisions, not emotional ones, listening to his people, and ultimately making the call himself. Someone who praises in public, but criticizes in private.

The character of Picard is essentially the ideal leader personified, and I have always found that dialogue and wrestling with his responsibility and the ethical implications of his decisions to be an extremely compelling character, much more so than Kirk, who was just a dumb hothead.

See I disagree with that completely. When I watch TNG, especially as the series matured, writing improved and everyone get more comfortable in their roles, I see a character that wrestles with the moral implications of his decisions, tries to do the right thing, while remaining calm, trying his best to make rational decisions, not emotional ones, listening to his people, and ultimately making the call himself. Someone who praises in public, but criticizes in private.

The character of Picard is essentially the ideal leader personified, and I have always found that dialogue and wrestling with his responsibility and the ethical implications of his decisions to be an extremely compelling character, much more so than Kirk, who was just a dumb hothead.
Picard is the ideal leader, too idealized to be believable. I'd rather have any other captain on my ship than Picard and his rigidity.

Picard might be a model captain but he never left a mark on me as this big tactician genius. He had it easiest from all the captains. He never had his kobayasi maru. Somehow his principles were always left intact.

I'm not saying that Picard is bad (well in the titular series he is, but that's entirely another thing) just that he is the least interesting captain, with the least interesting crew, who handles the least interesting situations.

Star trek series would be more realistic if the captain and his top officers would not get themselves in harms way every other episode.

too idealized to be believable.
This has been my hang up with most ST series — they are too idealized to be believable. Every situation is distilled into black and white versions of morality and there just isn’t a whole lot of in between.

Original Cast definitely did not fit that - and I appreciate that: they had flaws and worked to overcome them and in spite of them. But as you distance from the original series — and even into the movies — even Kirk loses that for some idyllic version of himself.

This has been my hang up with most ST series — they are too idealized to be believable. Every situation is distilled into black and white versions of morality and there just isn’t a whole lot of in between.

Original Cast definitely did not fit that - and I appreciate that: they had flaws and worked to overcome them and in spite of them. But as you distance from the original series — and even into the movies — even Kirk loses that for some idyllic version of himself.
I don't think Kirk is idillyc at all in the movies. Spoiler alert:

In the first movie he forces his replacement out for elfish reasons.
In the second movie he is overconfident and they pay the price.
In the third he goes against starfleet. If it was picard they'd have had some ex-machina moment to save spock, like one of the starfleet supreme commanders would've given secret permission. Was Picard ever in the wrong? I don't remember.
In the fourth he is court martialled and demoted to captain, only avoiding stricter punishment because they did save earth.
The fifth might be the only movie where he doesn't do anything wrong.
In the 6th, he can't put aside his hatred of klingons.

Kirk constantly questions himself, struggles with getting old. And he refuses to take the L, even if he needs to break the rules, that's what makes him both a damned good captain and a flawed human.

Become a Patron!
Back