Lance Reddick Gives Praise to Castmates and Showrunners, and Fans of Netflix’s Resident Evil Series Following Its Cancellation

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Lance Reddick took to social media to give praise to his fellow castmates and showrunners following Netflix's announcement that its Resident Evil live-action series would not be renewed...

Go to post

If only he left out the part about trolls and haters.

I don't think it's very classy to label your critics trolls and haters.

Just because you worked your *** off on it, doesn't mean it can't be bad.

It's a shame it got cancelled I quite enjoyed it, seen worse zombie stuff last longer. In this day and age it is nearly impossible to create something artistic without some people hating on it that does not make it bad.

Come on this was not an art house production... Pi... that was art house.. Oh Brother Where Art Thou... kinda art house... (well fringe). And others... There was nothing about this production that made it feel.. wow or special. I think the costs were too high for the ROI.

It's a shame it got cancelled I quite enjoyed it, seen worse zombie stuff last longer. In this day and age it is nearly impossible to create something artistic without some people hating on it that does not make it bad.
Artistic? Geez, you are really setting a low bar there. I'm not liking this trend where people are not allowed to criticize things without being labelled as something bad. Hater, troll, or worse some kind of phobe.

Artistic? Geez, you are really setting a low bar there. I'm not liking this trend where people are not allowed to criticize things without being labelled as something bad. Hater, troll, or worse some kind of phobe.

I did not mean artistic as a measure of quality but as something that can be considered a form of art (like movies, computer games, tv shows, music).

A lot of critique is more personal taste then something beeing actually bad.

for example if a company makes a sequel to an existing game and the only new thing is the story, but gameplay etc stay the same you are going to get peomle saying they love it because its more of the same and people disliking it because it's more of the same.

I did not mean artistic as a measure of quality but as something that can be considered a form of art (like movies, computer games, tv shows, music).
Then I misunderstood, I thought you were suggesting this was distinguished art.
A lot of critique is more personal taste then something beeing actually bad.
Yes, criticism and reviews are 90% opinionated, that doesn't make them invalid or trolling. As I use to say the only way an opinion is incorrect if it
A, doesn't represent the person's real opinion, ie lies for clicks
B, based on misinformation and not first hand experience

I'll give it to you there is a lot of A going on in the mainstream establishment reviewers, and B at the youtube sphere of reviewers.

But when they come out to throw every criticism into the racism or trolling bucket they are really doing a disservice, not just to fans, but themselves as it is really not conducive to public acceptance.

for example if a company makes a sequel to an existing game and the only new thing is the story, but gameplay etc stay the same you are going to get peomle saying they love it because its more of the same and people disliking it because it's more of the same.
Yes and both are valid positions to have, it would be terrible if everyone liked the exact same thing. This doesn't make either position "haters and trolls"

I'm not liking this trend where people are not allowed to criticize things without being labelled as something bad. Hater, troll, or worse some kind of phobe.

Yeah it's a disturbing trend, I agree. There's a difference between:

"Meh, I didn't care for it"

And

"WTF is this trash they should die in a car wreck."

The internet tends to skew towards the latter, unfortunately, because the kids like their videos and the "influencers" love their clicks. That doesn't mean the former is hate-baiting though, but when you also combine that with the "Anyone that doesn't agree with me is not only wrong, but my enemy" - you get what we got.

Yeah it's a disturbing trend, I agree. There's a difference between:

"Meh, I didn't care for it"

And

"WTF is this trash they should die in a car wreck."

The internet tends to skew towards the latter, unfortunately, because the kids like their videos and the "influencers" love their clicks. That doesn't mean the former is hate-baiting though, but when you also combine that with the "Anyone that doesn't agree with me is not only wrong, but my enemy" - you get what we got.
That's the lie we live. In reality it's mostly the former, and a few examples of the latter. But companies take the latter and put it on a pedestal for everyone to see and claim all who dislike what they are doing is like that. Sometimes they even talk about the latter pre-emptively. "If we get criticized it is because of this, and has nothing to do with the actual product"

I see it as a pathetic and disingenuous way of deflecting responsibility.

Spoiler alert: if the thought of undead creatures tearing into human flesh lacks appeal, then it's probably worth skipping a TV series titled Resident Evil.
It's a shame it got cancelled I quite enjoyed it, seen worse zombie stuff last longer.
As a fellow connoisseur of undead entertainment, I must concur. I'm disappointed we won't see a second season. With a bit of polishing, the series had the potential to become an artistic masterpiece within the burgeoning genre of zombie television. 🧟‍♂️

I do agree with others that it's inappropriate to label those who disliked the series as trolls or haters. Just because an opinion is clearly wrong doesn't mean that one should fear expressing it.

I enjoyed the show as well and even though there were some really rough patches for me, and I could make a list, I still wanted to at least see a 2nd season attempt to focus itself. NBC had a very similar show a few years ago that I loved that was canceled after one season. I was pretty bummed about that one.

Edit: The Passage. I really dug where that show was heading.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1074206/

I do agree with others that it's inappropriate to label those who disliked the series as trolls or haters. Just because an opinion is clearly wrong doesn't mean that one should fear expressing it.

I would say that depends on how they expressed themselves and knowing the internet I'm sure there were some haters and trolls to be found if I were to look for it. Some opinions need not be shared with the world.

There are no wrong opinions. Only different ones. That's why it is an opinion.

Hmm...

"My opinion is the world is flat."

As an opinion - yeah, it's valid that a person may believe that.

But no matter how much they may believe, it doesn't make it factually correct.

There's got to be some dividing line between a fact and an opinion. I don't know exactly how that is defined, but if anything the politics of today prove that it's definitely required. On the face of it would I say it's the difference between subjective and objective, but lately I'm not exactly sure that's true or not.

My opinion is the world is flat.
I was just expressing to someone the other day how it feels like we're living back in that time again. That pic that David posted in the funniest pics forum somewhat goes with that. Somewhere out there I expect somebody is proclaiming that water is not wet right now or that fire doesn't burn.

I would say that depends on how they expressed themselves and knowing the internet I'm sure there were some haters and trolls to be found if I were to look for it.
Calling them trolls or haters is just going to make matters worse though.
In the context of something as objective as entertainment, opinions are often wrong. For example, a person who thought Resident Evil was poorly written would have an incorrect opinion.
"My opinion is the world is flat."
Now if that were a statement, assertion, proclamation or...
Somewhere out there I expect somebody is proclaiming that water is not wet right now or that fire doesn't burn.
But fire doesn't burn. You know what does burn? Witches! 🪵

The whole thing with skipping exposition and using flashbacks to fill in blanks bit by bit is way over used and needs a very long rest. Might as well start with an over the top action sequence, freeze frame with a record scratch, and voiceover:

"Bet you're wondering how things got so crazy. Well, I'll fill you in. It all started about two weeks ago...."

In a similar vein, skipping around in the story timeline without telling the viewer is a crutch for not having an interesting enough story to tell. It ruined the first season of The Witcher.

The whole thing with skipping exposition and using flashbacks to fill in blanks bit by bit is way over used and needs a very long rest. Might as well start with an over the top action sequence, freeze frame with a record scratch, and voiceover:

"Bet you're wondering how things got so crazy. Well, I'll fill you in. It all started about two weeks ago...."

In a similar vein, skipping around in the story timeline without telling the viewer is a crutch for not having an interesting enough story to tell. It ruined the first season of The Witcher.
I somewhat agree. I don't mind a little flashback/jumping but I also felt it was overdone and after a point actually detracted from the storytelling. I didn't have a huge problem with any of the timeline stories (I could easily nitpick them though) but the constant switching got old by the end. They could've accomplished much of the same goals by being a bit more focused on a specific timeline per episode as many other shows have successfully done. I think if it had lasted for a 2nd season this is something that would've been more balanced as the showrunners were probably experimenting with a new style. Oh well.

Become a Patron!
Back