Amazon Suspends Reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Amazon's ultra-pricey Lord of the Rings show appears to be the latest target of review bombers.

Go to post

I still need to give this first episode a watch. Something like this I think would deserve a few episodes to find it's stride.

I guess "review bombing" = " how dare you not like it!" now.

Don't forget imdb is also hiding unfavorable reviews. Which is even more dishonest. There is no way that the lowest rating would be 3, and only one of those at that.

And if we are going to speak about review bombing then please acknowledge the existence of positive review bombing too. Where individuals give shows a 10/10 rating just because they agree with the politics represented by the creators and or the show.

Not to mention 99% of the bad reviews are due to the quality of the show, so they are just running interference trying to imply that the majority of bad reviews are from various "bad people".

Still on the fence if I wanna watch this or not, especially since football season is starting now. I'm sure I'll give it a chance at some point but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it'll rank to high on my list.

It's not as though Amazon's ownership of IMDB creates any sort of conflict of interest...

I've watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them. It's very clear they are still in introductory phrase.

I did not know that they owned them, well dang.
Yep. From what I understand of the IMBD situation, Amazon has taken the slippery slope of censoring reviews based on content that conforms to their subjective definition of "review bombing", such that even if the reviewer rated the show a 6/10, for example, and provided what they felt was a thoughtful analysis (i.e., not a "bomb"), they may suddenly find their review has gone "missing".

In some ways I think it'd be less disturbing if they had applied a content-blind system based on numerical rating to temporarily suspend the reviews, though in my opinion the only reasonable solution is to leave all reviews and let the reader be the judge. Ideally, users could apply various dynamic filters to display/sort the reviews in more useful ways, but if you've ever tried to find a product on Amazon, you know how likely that is to happen.

We watched both episodes and I'm surprised to say that we both enjoyed them even though we both expected not to. For us, the real test will be whether or not it keeps our interest throughout the whole season.

Become a Patron!
Back