Poll Results Show $700–$800 as the Ideal Price for the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The question comes as some have stated the GeForce RTX 4080 seems a bit overpriced in comparison to the GeForce RTX 4090 whose MSRP is $1,599 vs $1,199 for the GeForce RTX 4080.

See full article...

Imagine that.

If they had just named the the 4080 to 4090 and the 4090 to 4090Ti - everyone would have been overjoyed. Yeah, there still would have been a stink about the -whatever you call it- 4070Ti / 4080 being on a different die whereas x80 is as always a cut down whatever - but so long as the performance and price were in line it wouldn’t have mattered.

I think nVidia screwed this release up. They got the tech right and almost everything else wrong so far. Granted, it will probably still outsell AMD 4-1 and just prove that customers will take whatever you shovel their way.

I think nVidia screwed this release up. They got the tech right and almost everything else wrong so far. Granted, it will probably still outsell AMD 4-1 and just prove that customers will take whatever you shovel their way.
We'll see - the 4090s went from release to unobtanium in true Nvidia fashion, but the 4080s lingered more than anyone really expected - and also as predicted.

Imagine that.

If they had just named the the 4080 to 4090 and the 4090 to 4090Ti - everyone would have been overjoyed. Yeah, there still would have been a stink about the -whatever you call it- 4070Ti / 4080 being on a different die whereas x80 is as always a cut down whatever - but so long as the performance and price were in line it wouldn’t have mattered.

I agree. The more I thought about it the more I started to believe the naming strategy is an issue. However, thanks to scalpers they sell out no matter what but the stink about the price is relative to what something is called. Imagine the uproar if a Ford Mustang was branded as some kind of fancy Taurus and then priced as a premium Mustang.

I'm not saying that any of these MSRPs are great, just that in looking back at the previous three gens there's more to consider than just the price. When one x80 has nearly double the perf of the previous, along with the price it is odd, that the two would share the same name. For some time the generational uptick was barely 25%-30% so seeing double is strange. Things have definitely gotten complicated for NVIDIA though. They got rid of the Titan, introduced Super and then skipped it, and brought back the x90 line since the first RTX cards arrived. It almost seems like the marketing team is being left out on release schedules and has to make it up as they go.

We'll see - the 4090s went from release to unobtanium in true Nvidia fashion, but the 4080s lingered more than anyone really expected - and also as predicted.
Too true but online the 4080s have mostly evaporated in terms of MSRP. I checked BB this morning and all were sold out and Amazon only had it's marked-up sellers.

I kind of want a 4090 but I am too old to have the patience to stand in a line and deal with people over it.

Wake me when I can just walk in off the street and buy one sitting in retail inventory with no needed extraordinary measures.

I'm just not doing the fake scarcity bullshit anymore. If that means I'll never have a high end system again, so be it.

I'm done with this bullshit.

I kind of want a 4090 but I am too old to have the patience to stand in a line and deal with people over it.

Wake me when I can just walk in off the street and buy one sitting in retail inventory with no needed extraordinary measures.

I'm just not doing the fake scarcity bullshit anymore. If that means I'll never have a high end system again, so be it.

I'm done with this bullshit.
I'm feeling somewhat the same. People shouldn't have to wait years for something to become available and watching the insanity of inventory management for multiple past gens just to get things off the self is too much. I had no intention of getting a 4090 since I'm happy with my 3090 Ti and if it wasn't for the great folks at EVGA I wouldn't have even been able to get it, but I was looking forward to what came next. However, that could be a year or more down the road, and then, with the way things are it could be a year or two before I could snag one from someone who isn't scalping. It's just too much.

I kind of like the pace that watercooling necessitates. Have to have a card and a block available, and then have to be prepared to adjust the loop for the new component.

As such, either you're prepared to pay and play at release, or you're able to be more strategic, or just patient.

I kind of like the pace that watercooling necessitates. Have to have a card and a block available, and then have to be prepared to adjust the loop for the new component.

As such, either you're prepared to pay and play at release, or you're able to be more strategic, or just patient.
Yep, the Hybrid 3090 Ti got me there. Factory OC and I'm still able to take it further. It really is a beast.

It always chaps my a$$ when we, the consumers, can't get something. And then we watch J2C or GN with stacks of said product. "oh, you can't get RTX-Whatever? Well, I'm going to try 4 of them in SLI!" ...... really want to reach through the monitor and choke someone.

I don't even want one of these cards, but I do have a confession to make: this holiday season, I hope to hear of many "unfortunate" accidents in which scalpers are liberated of their inventory by means of a bus or other large vehicle traveling at high speed, and that the spoils find their way to more deserving individuals. 🚌 Nothing of value would be lost.

It always chaps my a$$ when we, the consumers, can't get something. And then we watch J2C or GN with stacks of said product. "oh, you can't get RTX-Whatever? Well, I'm going to try 4 of them in SLI!" ...... really want to reach through the monitor and choke someone.
I have to laugh and be sad about this. I know that @David_Schroth has largely spent out-of-pocket for the cards reviewed here because he rarely gets any samples (but a couple of recent miracles did happen).

I would really like a 4080. I don't need all the extra horse power the 4090 has. That being said, for a few hundred bucks the 4090 is the way to go given the performance jump. So, I'm just going to wait. It will give me time to rearrange my case and watercooling loop to accomidate the size of the card.
I too am very tired of the no stock, artificial shortage nonsense......

I hope to hear of many "unfortunate" accidents in which scalpers are liberated of their inventory by means of a bus or other large vehicle traveling at high speed

I'm trying to picture this series of events in my head, and it isn't quite working. :p

I have to laugh and be sad about this. I know that @David_Schroth has largely spent out-of-pocket for the cards reviewed here because he rarely gets any samples (but a couple of recent miracles did happen).

While inconvenient, I'm sure, at least in this market it hasn't been too difficult to resell them at or near the price paid once the review is done, I imagine?

If you guys review a 4090 and want to get rid of it... :p

It can't be as nobody expected AND as it was predicted. Maybe more than anyone in Nvidia expected and as everyone else predicted?

I'm trying to picture this series of events in my head, and it isn't quite working. :p
?
The scalpers aren't driving the vehicle. Picture the scalper transporting their cards (in a box, cart, whatever) on foot. I guess the sentence was poorly worded.

?
The scalpers aren't driving the vehicle. Picture the scalper transporting their cards (in a box, cart, whatever) on foot. I guess the sentence was poorly worded.

So, the bus drives up, and accidentally drives off with their GPU inventory? :p

Because that's how I read it :p

Become a Patron!
Back