New Report Indicates Diminishing Returns for 30TB HAMR Disk Drives

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
A new report indicates that HAMR disk drives may offer lesser increased potentials at larger capacities when SMR is applied. Seagate recently announced its Exos 30 TB+ hard drives which are based on the Mozaic 3+ HAMR platform. This new technology is bringing storage capacities never seen before in a single drive but, according to this report, it may already be susceptible to its own version of Moore's Law. The new report from Blocks and Files indicates that increased storage capacity potentials at, or above 30 TB may be related to the width of read and write tracks.

See full article...

Well took it far enough I guess.
We just need solid state prices to drop, then shouldn't be too much of an issue to scale it up.

Well took it far enough I guess.
We just need solid state prices to drop, then shouldn't be too much of an issue to scale it up.
Imagine the capacities of solid state growing near 2nm. Or better yet solid state drives with internal batteries that can keep data alive for extended periods of time so you can have even MORE capacity. Of course cold storage wouldn't work for them but for enterprises... maybe.

The tech is amazing.

Thinking back to using my first Apple 2 (no plus or e) and an audio tape to save your program -if it felt like working- having to type LOAD (no lower case on the 40*24 text only display) and quickly press play hoping you got the start point right,

Then, OMG, I could do 140k (280 with a hole punch) on a single floppy disk!?!?!?!

I thought I would never fill up the first disk. Who needs more data/programs than that?

Now my local network has 36tb (not all that much really) of storage between Desktop/Laptop and a little NAS off my router).

So..... Not counting my Blueray or any cloud storage (or in the closet not in use older HD's) I now have storage equal to ~128.6 trillion double sided Apple 2 floppy disks. This over ~40 years of tech upgrades.

That new 30tb drive being equal to just about 107,000,000,000,000 floppies, twice that if you dont have a hole punch handy.

Makes me less worried about them only getting a 6% increase vs 10%. Where will we be in another 40 years?

Makes me less worried about them only getting a 6% increase vs 10%. Where will we be in another 40 years?
If you're 50 this year like me. Eating pudding and trying to grope young nurses. ;)

Or ideally our mind has been transferred to the 'cloud' where we can live FOREVER!!!

Can always go back to 8” platters. Who needs density when you have volume?

Become a Patron!
Back