Industry Insider Seemingly Flip-Flops with Rumors Regarding RTX 50 Series Memory Specifications

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
It’s barely been a couple of days and a well-known industry insider is seemingly backtracking on rumors about NVIDIA’s next GPU lineup. Industry insider Kopite7kimi has a fairly solid track record regarding early info and leaks when it comes to unreleased NVIDIA products but it appears their sources for the RTX 50 series are a […]

See full article...

The old adage still applies for me: Don't trust rumors

I operate on published, official, announced, specs ...ya know, facts! :)

This is why I don't trust leak channels like MLID, as a tech journalist, I cannot, it would not be professional or appropriate for me to do so.

Every generation on both AMD and nvidia, someone posts a rumor on next gen cards with a 512bit memory interface. Thing is a 512bit interface brings a lot of issues, to name one, signal integrity specially at high clocks speeds, its also very expensive.

Practically speaking 384bit is the best you are going to get.

Practically speaking 384bit is the best you are going to get.
Radeon Fury X with HBM1 had 4096-bit. Vega 64 with HBM2 had 2048-bit. But indeed, HBM is not "practical", and that's why we haven't seen it again on consumer cards.

I think we're heading there but it's true that going to 512-bit is going to take extra planning hence why it's probable we'll see NVIDIA rollout GDDR7 in stages with different specs.

I think we're heading there but it's true that going to 512-bit is going to take extra planning hence why it's probable we'll see NVIDIA rollout GDDR7 in stages with different specs.

We've been there before, IIRC with the GTX 280, so its not like its not possible, but very unlikely IMO.

Become a Patron!
Back