Epic Games Launcher Will End Support for Windows 7, 8, and 10 (32-bit) This Summer

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Epic Games Launcher will no longer support Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 (32-bit) starting in June 2024, Epic Games has announced.

See full article...

I didn't even realize there was a 32bit Windows 10.

I recall going 64bit since XP x64, yes there were quite a bit of issues running many games but it was still worth it.
XP64 was absolutely horrendous and not just for games. Unless you had more than 4GB of RAM there was no reason to use it.

I went with XP64 and must've gotten lucky with it. I don't remember how much ram I had but I know that by the time I retired that rig (still have it in the closet) I had maxed what it could take.

Yeah, not a fan of EGS. I've gotten tons of free games but I don't even play them. The main reason I have it is from getting the Crysis remasters when they launched and maybe a couple of other games that I've since purchased on GOG. Honestly though, I'm shocked it took them this long to drop 32-bit support.

Yeah, not a fan of EGS. I've gotten tons of free games but I don't even play them. The main reason I have it is from getting the Crysis remasters when they launched
That's my reasoning for getting EGS as well. I honestly get the free games and then never install them for the most part.

I had an Epic account before there was EGS, because I was trying to f*ck around with Unreal Engine dev stuff. That ended up being a real pain in the @ss to deal with, in trying to get UE4 and Microsoft Visual Studio to play nice, among other things. Anyways, when the store came around, all it really had was stuff like assets for devs to buy and use in their own games. Then one day Epic decided to give out Shadow Complex for free. I enjoyed this game on X360 and had always wanted a PC version. I already had an Epic account, so yeah I grabbed the game and played through it again. Seemed like a random thing for Epic to do. I didn't think they were actually gonna keep adding games, and make a for-realz digital store like Steam, Origin, uPlay/Connect and the rest. That was very weird and surprising to see.

In the end like most people, I usually grab the free games every week, and have been since they started doing this sh1t, but I never play them. I don't like EGS or its launcher. Sometimes I'll have a game on EGS that I got for free, but still play the game on Steam (either my own copy or a friend's), or use a GOG version. EGS has been around for a while too, and yet it can't compare to any of the other digital game storefronts and their launchers, which is pretty f*cking sad. I don't think it should exist. There's no reason for it to. I guess the main reason it's around is for Epic to have a way to directly sell the kiddies their Fortnite crack.

If I knew, then I forgot years ago.

XP64 was absolutely horrendous and not just for games. Unless you had more than 4GB of RAM there was no reason to use it.

I kept it for a while and skipped Vista, I learned a lot to make software work in windows 7 x64. And yes I had 4GB at the time.

I went with XP64 and must've gotten lucky with it. I don't remember how much ram I had but I know that by the time I retired that rig (still have it in the closet) I had maxed what it could take.

Yeah, not a fan of EGS. I've gotten tons of free games but I don't even play them. The main reason I have it is from getting the Crysis remasters when they launched and maybe a couple of other games that I've since purchased on GOG. Honestly though, I'm shocked it took them this long to drop 32-bit support.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows 10 is 64bit only.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows 10 is 64bit only.
No worries. We actually were running the 32bit version on some old HP workstations (~30) for a time because they only had 8GB (or maybe 4GB-I can't remember anymore) of RAM and the hardware was so old I just didn't feel it was worth it to upgrade. Those workstations were in use for roughly 10+ years, SATA II, PCIe 2.0, etc. so I was pretty happy to retire them about 4 years ago but I did get a decent deal for some cheap SSDs to give them a little bump that carried them through their final years.

1710555688658.png

I kept it for a while and skipped Vista, I learned a lot to make software work in windows 7 x64. And yes I had 4GB at the time.
Back in the day I tried every new version of windows as soon as it was possible. Some upgrades seemed more like downgrades.
The green ones were my daily drivers, although up till 98 I always booted into dos mode by default, and only started windows when necessary. The other ones I tried but never used as my main OS. Yellow is my current OS.
  • Windows 3.1 - was my first windows but at this stage windows was inconsequential for most usage.
  • Windows 3.11 for Workgroups - basically the same with network support
  • Windows 95 - It was the new cool thing, and it was terrible.
  • Windows 95 OEM service release 2 - Finally you didn't have to do a full reinstall every 2 weeks, only like every two months :D
  • Windows 98 - Finally the 9x version that was worth having, I stayed on this as my daily until XP!
  • Windows 98SE - It was less stable for me than the first edition.
  • Windows ME - Win 98 bloatware edition that also tried to take away DOS mode for no reason - no thanks.
  • Windows 2000 - Slow and compatibility issues galore both with HW and software, probably the slowest booting windows ever
  • Windows XP - Probably the best version of windows, certainly the peak UI wise.
  • Windows XP 64-bit - It was the same compatibility nightmare that was 2000 all over again, also seemed less stable.
  • Windows Vista - I did not hate it as most, but seen no reason to use it either.
  • Windows 7 - Minor downgrades in UI already started happening here, but the stability improvements were worth it anyway plus 64bit drivers had become mature enough by this time to not cause issues, and I got rid of the non-supported HW that never got proper 64bit drivers.
  • Windows 8 - An absolute nightmare, the UI was such a disaster that I never even got to actual performance and compatibility issues. Just for context this was the first time I had to resort to internet help to find even the most basic functions since I started using windows in 1991.
  • Windows 8.1 - Too little too late. Tried to improve on the most egregious things in 8, but it was just lipstick on a pig.
  • Windows 10 - The current era of eroding user oversight and control, when the only reason to upgrade was the end of support for Windows 7. There are no pros here, if I could I'd just have stayed on 7.
  • Windows 11 - Same as 10, no real benefit in upgrading outside of deliberately witheld features like the advanced scheduler for P-Core / E-Core Intel CPUs. The UI again got a massive downgrade, but they have been trickling back features ever since, maybe by the time 10 goes EOL it will finally have all the UI features I can't imagine my computer without. But I'm still hoping that the abysmal adoption of 11 will force MS to extend mainstream support for 10.

Windows 2000 - Slow and compatibility issues galore both with HW and software, probably the slowest booting windows ever

This was mu main OS untill vista, it was rocksolid and I had few if any issues with it (or I would have gon e to XP), although it was not realy a home version of windows, it was more of a evolved NT version.

Was probably the version of windows I used the longest.

Become a Patron!
Back