Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition Launches with a Very Positive Rating on Steam as Nixxes Plans AMD FSR 3 with Frame Generation Update

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Nixxes is working on an update that will bring AMD FSR 3 and its Frame Generation technology to the PC port of Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition, which is available now via Steam and the Epic Games Store, Guerrilla Games has announced in a new post that was shared today on the PlayStation Blog to celebrate the release of the definitive version of its post-apocalyptic action-adventure game, which originally launched as a PlayStation exclusive in 2022.

See full article...

Just a few things, that I read in some threads for folks, who might encounter strange performance issues with this game.

1. Low FPS with RTX 4090/4080: If you're using a wired USB controller, especially if its a Dual-Sense, unplug and plug back in after the game has started. Enabling Steam controller support has also been reported to help.

2. Underutilized GPU. DSOG reported as it was preparing its review and that no matter what they did, the game wouldn't peg their RTX 4090 beyond roughly 90%, even they have a high-end 7950X3D system. Turns out that doing a 2nd install of the NVIDIA driver cured that.

3. Make sure you have SMT/Hyperthreading enabled. Evidently, this game will compile shaders at launch but also use the extra threads to compile more while playing. This strategy seems to be eliminating most, if not all, micro stuttering that comes from shader compilation.

1. Low FPS with RTX 4090/4080: If you're using a wired USB controller, especially if its a Dual-Sense, unplug and plug back in after the game has started. Enabling Steam controller support has also been reported to help.

2. Underutilized GPU. DSOG reported as it was preparing its review and that no matter what they did, the game wouldn't peg their RTX 4090 beyond roughly 90%, even they have a high-end 7950X3D system. Turns out that doing a 2nd install of the NVIDIA driver cured that.
Some wwweeeiiirrrddd-@ss issues going on!

Hopefully most issues will be sorted out by the time I eventually get around to the game. That reminds me, I borrowed and played HZD near launch in Spring 2017, and months after I finished the game, there were a ton of patches that improved a lot of sh1t with the game, including quality-of-life stuff. I was like "well shiiiiiiiiiat, all of that comes waaaay too late to help me!" But I'll be in a different position this time. The position I'm usually in, where I get around to games months or years later, and by then they've been hella patched like whoa.

Not by any means a form of real testing but l last night I tried it on my laptop (mobile RTX 4080 aka desktop RTX 4070) and it did pretty well for the moment I had after getting past intro cutscenes. At 2560x1600 w/ settings on very high and DLSS Quality (no frame gen) it was averaging 70-90 FPS. Now I literally on had about ten minutes of running around to get this far but it sure looked nice. I'm really interested in seeing how the laptop with its 13900HX performs with this due to the extra cores/threads due to its strategy of using extra cores/threads for the shader compilation. I will say that the initial 1st one was quick, like seconds. I tried it again with my 4090 rig, albeit at 4K, and that was about a minute.

Become a Patron!
Back