“Best VPN Provider” NordVPN Confirms It Was Hacked in 2018

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
One of the world's most popular virtual private network providers has admitted it suffered a breach last year. NordVPN's motto is to "protect your privacy online" and claims a "zero logs" policy, but subscribers are worried the hack may have compromised user data.

A spokesperson said one of its data centers in Finland was accessed without authorization back in March 2018. The attacker got in by "by exploiting an insecure remote management system left by the data center provider," which NordVPN didn't know existed.

“The server itself did not contain any user activity logs; none of our applications send user-created credentials for authentication, so usernames and passwords couldn’t have been intercepted either,” said the spokesperson. “On the same note, the only possible way to abuse the website traffic was by performing a personalized and complicated man-in-the-middle attack to intercept a single connection that tried to access NordVPN.”

Doesn't Google and MS have quantum computers up and running? End user encryption and passwords are meaningless now that quantum computing is viable.

Glad I went with PIA....
Same, I been with them for years, although I grew very wary of them after Kape Technologies bought them. I don't trust them as much as I used to as a result, but I still think PIA is better than all the others.

VPN has one use to get around geolocks. You are lolling yourself into a false sense of security if you think using a VPN makes your browsing private on the internet.

It might actually make you less secure and an easier target. I mean you think nordVPN or any other VPN provider will protect you if some government puts pressure on them to give out your history?

I mean you think nordVPN or any other VPN provider will protect you if some government puts pressure on them to give out your history?
True, they won't, except if there is no history to give out in the first place. Of course, whether or not you believe companies like PIA don't keep logs is another matter.

VPN has one use to get around geolocks.
Also useful to stop ISPs from throttling traffic.

Also useful to stop ISPs from throttling traffic.
How does that work? Doesn’t the traffic still have to go through your ISP, it’s just all over a single encrypted port.

*edit* I guess if they are using QOS to throttle specific services?

I mean you're literally paying the VPN provider to do that for you.
True, but slower with the ISP throttling. For example, YouTube is faster for me on VPN than off the VPN.

How does that work? Doesn’t the traffic still have to go through your ISP, it’s just all over a single encrypted port.
Yeah the traffic still goes through the ISP, but the ISP can't see what it is. So they can't single out specific kinds of traffic (like YouTube connection) to throttle.

True, but slower with the ISP throttling. For example, YouTube is faster for me on VPN than off the VPN.

Yeah the traffic still goes through the ISP, but the ISP can't see what it is. So they can't single out specific kinds of traffic (like YouTube connection) to throttle.
Sounds like it would be best for phone use. They do qos for all kinds of **** on phones.

Become a Patron!
Back