“Market Isn’t What I Thought.” Says the Seller Who’s Trying to Unload RTX 4080 Graphics Cards at MSRP in Order to Avoid Return Fees

You have no time to read the room if you are expecting to flip hard to get cards for a tidy profit. You MUST buy immediately.

I love that some retailers who catered to scalpers are getting shafted as well in having to send back or try to re-sell these cards now that they are 'used'. LOL

Hard to feel bad for these people who are basically trying to ruin a hobby for others. Hopefully they lose money and this is a downward trend for scalpers in general.

It will happen more and more, scalpers are screwed, the economy is slowing down significantly. Fed interest hikes are having the intended effect. This is very clear to me already. Normally I get an argument about this though, typically from people that are better off than myself.

It will happen more and more, scalpers are screwed, the economy is slowing down significantly. Fed interest hikes are having the intended effect. This is very clear to me already. Normally I get an argument about this though, typically from people that are better off than myself.
Everyone is feeling it. Just more of an inconvenience to the upper middle class and above.

With the 4080 it is really more about pricing it out of its weight class. If someone has 1400 for a GPU they have 1800 to get the 4090. The 4080 is just bad value.

Last edited:
With the 4080 it is really more about pricing it out of its weight class. If someone has 1400 for a GPU they have 1800 to get the 4090. The 4080 is just bad value.
Exactly this. With the crypto crash, people aren’t just buying cards at any price, leaving only a few groups. If you have unlimited money, you’ll just pay scalper price for a 4090. If you have enough for msrp 4090 and can’t get one and aren’t in a rush, you’ll wait given how much better the 4090 is. If you bought a 3000 series in the last 6 months, you probably aren’t the kind of person that upgrades every generation, so you aren’t buying anything. If don’t have 1200+ for a video card, you just aren’t buying a 4080.

The only person I could see buying a scalped 4080 is someone with a 4090 msrp budget that can’t get a 4090 and can’t wait for more to come in stock. That’s a pretty small group.

That's an idiot group. Imagine being so desperate. Even if I was building a new PC I'd get some placeholder card until it becomes available, I'd never pay scalpers.
It's ruining what is a fun hobby for most of us, and causing it to be another stress in our lives instead of an outlet. People sometimes cave to get that satisfaction, but many like us aren't that desperate.
I was just thinking about this the other day that I am getting to old to deal with this rolling of the dice every time I want to upgrade something in my PC. I've been fortunate the last couple of times getting a card, but not sure I will be keeping with this hobby if this trend of scalping hardware continues.

That's an idiot group. Imagine being so desperate. Even if I was building a new PC I'd get some placeholder card until it becomes available, I'd never pay scalpers.
I watied about 18 months to get my RTX3070Ti at a non-scalper price. 18 nonths with NO gaming card, that is.

My then 13yo kid surely loved that, but at least he had a new hobby, he got a girlfriend. :LOL: :p

Become a Patron!
Back