“People Might Be a Little Disappointed”: Ex-Rockstar Dev Shares His Thoughts on Grand Theft Auto VI

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Grand Theft Auto VI, the next mainline installment of the leading action-adventure game franchise from the devs at Rockstar Games, may not be wildly different from its predecessors, according to new comments that were shared this week by Obbe Vermeij, an ex-Rockstar employee that served as a technical director for some of the most beloved games in the series, including 2004's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and 2008's Grand Theft Auto IV.

See full article...

Have any of them been "wildly different" from any of the others?

IV was also a drastic change. The tone shifted from light hearted comedy to serious. They removed the fun from GTA.

I actually wish it would go back to being fun, but I won't be disappointed because i don't have very high expectations.

I'm going to be honest. I didn't think GTA V was worth writing home about, so I didn't get the hype over GTA VI

That said, the cycle that repeats is that every single title that gets hyped is a disappointment upon launch.

The key to happiness is having low expectations.

It's only a matter of time before the kids start flaming and downvote spamming this one too, no matter how good a job Jockstrap* Rockstar does.

*Edit: Lol, that autocorrect was too good to remove, so I left it.

I'm with you about GTA V not being that great, I played every GTA tons up till that one since GTA3. GTAV however was a one and done, meaning I've done the main story once then forgot about the game.

Low expectations are only key to not being disappointed. However a bad game is a bad game whether I expected it to be bad.or not. Being right about expecting a bad game won't make me happy.

Downvotes always have a reason, it is not arbitrary. It shows that they are not giving the people what they want. It is gaslighting that a vocal minority would be responsible for ratioing trailers. Youtube is used by everyone, so the ratio on popular trailers published there is a pretty reliable indication of how much of the audience it clicks with.

Publishers like to lament that every pirated copy is a lost sale, by that logic every downvote or "review bomb" is also a lost sale. Because it originates from someone who was interested in the product but was turned away by what was shown.

I'm with you about GTA V not being that great, I played every GTA tons up till that one since GTA3. GTAV however was a one and done, meaning I've done the main story once then forgot about the game.

Low expectations are only key to not being disappointed. However a bad game is a bad game whether I expected it to be bad.or not. Being right about expecting a bad game won't make me happy.

Downvotes always have a reason, it is not arbitrary. It shows that they are not giving the people what they want. It is gaslighting that a vocal minority would be responsible for ratioing trailers. Youtube is used by everyone, so the ratio on popular trailers published there is a pretty reliable indication of how much of the audience it clicks with.

Publishers like to lament that every pirated copy is a lost sale, by that logic every downvote or "review bomb" is also a lost sale. Because it originates from someone who was interested in the product but was turned away by what was shown.

There is certainly a truth to that some pirated copies are lost sales, but it is far from all of them, and may even be a small minority of them.

People pirate things for two reasons:

1.) They don't want to pay for it.

2.) A form of protest.

3.) Warez community who download pirated stuff just to have it, and never even use it.

When I do it, I fall into category 2.

I don't have time to play very many games these days, so I only average like 2-4 new games per year (depending on the year). If a game does something I strongly disagree with (like try to force me to be online, have an account and be connected to their servers in order to play a single player game, I was never going to buy that game to begin with.

Or if they enter into some evil exclusivity agreement with a store that requires me to sign up for a new service, create accounts and install new clients. I'd be boycotting that too. Even if it was a series I was looking forward to.

But sometimes my thought process goes along the lines of "why should I deprive myself of something that I like just because they are being *******s? I'll then help myself to the "community edition" and if they at some point reverse their bad behavior, then I buy it as soon as that happens on principle to make my point, even if I have already finished the game. Right is right.

But even if the majority of those who pirate things are not like me, and instead fall into category 1, that doesn't mean a pirated copy is an automatic lost sale.

I tend to think back to the old Napster lawsuit era, when some 13 year old kid's parents were sued because he had like 100,000 pirated mp3's (or something ridiculous like that) on his iPod. They were treating every single one of those 100,000 mp3's as a lost sale, when the kid wouldn't have been able to buy more than like - what - 200 of them at most if he had to actually pay for them. Even most really wealthy kids couldn't buy 100,000 songs at 99 cents a piece.

The remaining estimated 99,800 songs were decidedly NOT lost sales, because they could never have afforded them in the first place. And this goes on a lot with games as well.

...and then there are the weirdos in category 3, god bless them, who get some sort of feelings of social status from having all the WAREZ, and even better if they have it FIRST!

Sure, there are some sales lost to piracy, but it is by no means 100% of pirated copies. Many of those pirated copies are downloaded just because and never even run. Others would never have been bought if people actually had to pay for them as their either wouldn't have had the money, or would rather have spent it on other things. And then there are the people like me with our protests who were going to die on that hill on principle, and never buy it unless something they adamantly object to is fixed (whose sales they still might get in the future if they shape up...)

As for what percentage of pirated copies represent lost sales, I would have a difficult time wagering a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if that figure were in the single digits percentage wise.

I agree with all of that, the reason I brought it up is that if they count every pirated copy as a lost sale, then they definitely should count every downvote as a lost sale also. But for some reason that much more obvious leap of logic is never made.

You forgot another reason:

4. Developers don't provide demo's any longer

If I'm interested in something, a AAA title, I want to know what it's like before buying it.

If I'm interested in something, a AAA title, I want to know what it's like before buying it.
^^^^
This. I played the 'community' version of BG3 for a few hours then went on to buy the whole shebang on GoG. Even with refund status, it's risky with time restrictions and/or play restrictions. I also have limited time to play so I need more time to figure out if I really want to buy the product.

^^^^
This. I played the 'community' version of BG3 for a few hours then went on to buy the whole shebang on GoG. Even with refund status, it's risky with time restrictions and/or play restrictions. I also have limited time to play so I need more time to figure out if I really want to buy the product.
I can't tell you how many times I bought a game because I played a community demo first. I always tell people that in this day and age, you absolutely must try before you buy. It's the ONLY way to know for sure. Even when developers do provide official demos, those demos barely give you a taste of the actual game.

I can't tell you how many times I bought a game because I played a community demo first. I always tell people that in this day and age, you absolutely must try before you buy. It's the ONLY way to know for sure. Even when developers do provide official demos, those demos barely give you a taste of the actual game.

I guess I've never understood this.

100% of the games I buy I get wind of through word of mouth from friends, pre-launch discussions on forums/news sites (like here or the hardforums), or I know the series well enough that I was going to buy them no matter what. If people I know like it, and I trust their judgment, I will probably like it as well.

Most of the time it isn't even a conscious effort. I just kind of absorb game titles by osmosis, and make a judgement whether I think I'll like them or not.

I don't read game reviews in game magazines, or even user reviews. Never have. IMHO they are completely irrelevant, and only risk spoilers.

Except for the odd case where there was some annoying bug (like inability to bind custom keys) I wanted to withhold my money for until they fixed it, or if I discovered that the Steam version installed the developers launcher that required me to create an account to play a single player game, I have never even returned a game.

I treat games sort-of like I treat pints of beer. I've never understood the people who request to sample little shots of beer to make sure they get the perfect one. It's a beer. You are not buying a house. If you don't like it, it's not the end of the world, just don't buy it again.

100% of the games I buy I get wind of through word of mouth from friends, pre-launch discussions on forums/news sites (like here or the hardforums), or I know the series well enough that I was going to buy them no matter what. If people I know like it, and I trust their judgment, I will probably like it as well.

Most of the time it isn't even a conscious effort. I just kind of absorb game titles by osmosis, and make a judgement whether I think I'll like them or not.

I don't read game reviews in game magazines, or even user reviews. Never have. IMHO they are completely irrelevant, and only risk spoilers.
I go through the same process, most of the time I can assess whether I want a game this way, but there are 1% of cases where I'm still on the fence after all that. Case in point Baldur's Gate 3. I'm not confident enough that I'm going to like it to buy it, if there was a demo I could put it to rest finally.
I treat games sort-of like I treat pints of beer. I've never understood the people who request to sample little shots of beer to make sure they get the perfect one. It's a beer. You are not buying a house. If you don't like it, it's not the end of the world, just don't buy it again.
A game is a little more expensive than a beer. Plus I treat buying games as a vote of confidence, if I buy a game and it turns out that it is ****, I'm more annoyed that I cast my vote on it, than the money itself.

Become a Patron!
Back