“The Forever Mouse”: Logitech Mulls New Series of Mice with Subscription Fees

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Logitech, the Swiss company best known for its range of computer peripherals and software, including the Logitech G brand of gaming hardware (e.g., G502 LIGHTSPEED), is currently testing a new type of premium mouse that is meant to last "forever," the longevity of which would be extended via new software features, according to new comments shared by Hanneke Faber, the CEO of Logitech.

See full article...

Logitech builds better quality mice (hardware wise) than most if not all other companies in the physical sense. However, they don't build a mouse that's remotely good enough to "last forever."

And they can stuff the idea of subscription fees. People are tired of being nickeled and dimed to death by all the **** they have to subscribe to every month.

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahahah
hahah

*breaths deeply*

hahahahahhahahahah....

the-big-bang-theory-sheldon-cooper.gif

Lol.

If they think I'll ever subscribe to a mouse (or any other hardware for that matter) they have another thing coming.

Logitech builds better quality mice (hardware wise) than most if not all other companies in the physical sense. However, they don't build a mouse that's remotely good enough to "last forever."

And they can stuff the idea of subscription fees. People are tired of being nickeled and dimed to death by all the **** they have to subscribe to every month.

Reminds me of those "Never Obsolete" eMachines...

1722358130687.png

Reminds me of those "Never Obsolete" eMachines...

View attachment 3195
To be fair, the case wasn't proprietary and neither was any of the hardware. That's the one thing they got right with those. However, the power supplies had an anemic output rating which was not only low, but wishful thinking on the manufacturers part. You can't do much with a 200w or less PSU. You'd basically have to replace the power supply at a minimum before doing anything else with it.

At least it was possible. Dell, HP, etc. were far worse despite being better built. You had to keep buying proprietary nonsense outside of warranty and your upgrade path was far more limited.

To be clear, I think its possible to build a mouse that may last forever functionally. However, it would probably cost a lot and a subscription to go along with it is simply too much to ask. I don't know about you, but I'm sick of subscriptions, contracts and other monthly BS for everything now.

I've had plenty of logitech mice that lasted a long time. Problem is the buttons will eventually wear out. Had an MX518 for about 7 years before the buttons were flat wore out.

Then you still have to replace the glides.

But a mouse subscription? Helllllls no.

This reminds me when Soundblaster wanted to start charging money for driver upgrades back in the late 90's or early 00's

To be fair, the case wasn't proprietary and neither was any of the hardware. That's the one thing they got right with those. However, the power supplies had an anemic output rating which was not only low, but wishful thinking on the manufacturers part. You can't do much with a 200w or less PSU. You'd basically have to replace the power supply at a minimum before doing anything else with it.

At least it was possible. Dell, HP, etc. were far worse despite being better built. You had to keep buying proprietary nonsense outside of warranty and your upgrade path was far more limited.

To be clear, I think its possible to build a mouse that may last forever functionally. However, it would probably cost a lot and a subscription to go along with it is simply too much to ask. I don't know about you, but I'm sick of subscriptions, contracts and other monthly BS for everything now.
My mom's first computer was an emachine that she got about a year after I graduated from college. She had a p3-600 (like the picture shown). I remember replacing the power supply and my mom crying in the background thinking that I would be electrocuted. When it was finished, her computer experience improved dramatically (it BSODed frequently). Ahh memories! Thanks for the picture, Zarathrusta.

While I would never do a mouse subscription...I would do a nvidia xx80 or xx90 subscription for $10-$50 a month.

I remember replacing the power supply and my mom crying in the background thinking that I would be electrocuted.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! With PC stuff my mom was never like that cuz she knew I knew what I was doing, but car stuff, especially with my dad? That freaked her out. My dad knows sh1t but he's also really sketchy, especially when it comes to safety stuff (whereas I'm the opposite, really paranoid). And she's Puerto Rican so she wouldn't just get scared, she'd get very mad. Hahahaha, memories indeed!

Ahh memories! Thanks for the picture, Zarathrusta.
If you're looking for some more eMachines memories:

I guess they figured out it was better to make mice that break every couple of years than to try to charge for driver updates

I guess they figured out it was better to make mice that break every couple of years than to try to charge for driver updates
Who needs a mouse driver??

The USB HID driver is included for free with every OS out there since the 90's...

Become a Patron!
Back