EVGA Precision X1 Overclocking Software Updated to Support GeForce RTX 4090 Series

I stopped using Precision long ago when EVGA had that falling out with the guy who makes RivaTuner, who ended up teaming with MSI for Afterburner. I've been using Afterburner since, though the original reason I switched was cuz for a time EVGA made you have to get Precision through Steam, which was f*cking retarded. When I buy nVidia I buy EVGA cards, which have proprietary fan controllers that don't work with other programs. Well the main GPU fan does, but if your card has any other fans (my 1080 Ti has a second one), you can't control those if you don't have Precision. Still couldn't be bothered to go back to Precision.

I stopped using Precision long ago when EVGA had that falling out with the guy who makes RivaTuner, who ended up teaming with MSI for Afterburner. I've been using Afterburner since, though the original reason I switched was cuz for a time EVGA made you have to get Precision through Steam, which was f*cking retarded. When I buy nVidia I buy EVGA cards, which have proprietary fan controllers that don't work with other programs. Well the main GPU fan does, but if your card has any other fans (my 1080 Ti has a second one), you can't control those if you don't have Precision. Still couldn't be bothered to go back to Precision.
I mostly use AB but I've seen X1 give a little more OC headroom with my EVGA cards (of course). I will occasionally for the h of it use it to max out the hybrid 3090 Ti. The most I've gotten out of it so far is 2175 MHz but it's almost pointless because at stock it happily holds 2040-2050 MHz and is so quiet and I've seen it do that consistently for over 6-10 hours straight. It only gains a few frames, or more, when OCd so not really worth it for the power draw and noise. I'll never get a non-AIO or non-liquid-cooled card again after this though.

I mostly use AB but I've seen X1 give a little more OC headroom with my EVGA cards (of course). I will occasionally for the h of it use it to max out the hybrid 3090 Ti. The most I've gotten out of it so far is 2175 MHz but it's almost pointless because at stock it happily holds 2040-2050 MHz and is so quiet and I've seen it do that consistently for over 6-10 hours straight. It only gains a few frames, or more, when OCd so not really worth it for the power draw and noise. I'll never get a non-AIO or non-liquid-cooled card again after this though.

My experiences with my EVGA 3090ti hybrid matches yours, Peter.

While I'm really not one for RGB bling, I found the setting in Precision X1 to make the fan LEDs on the radiator indicate relative GPU temperature at a quick glance (i.e., blue for cool, yellow for warm, red for hot - each at a user-specified thermal threshold). I built this system in a Lian Li 011DEX - a glass surround case - and the fans are visible. The fan LEDs have almost always shown blue so I must not yet be pushing the card to its potential. I figure, if I am to see the RGB, I might as well make them serve a useful purpose rather than just be aesthetic.

I tend to use this type of utility software more for setting fan profiles to balance noise vs. performance rather than for squeezing out the last bit of OC overhead. Usually during the first week of use, the software settings are adjusted to where they need to be and then promptly ignored until a future need arises. If I were more motivated and needing to pump up performance to the point where fan noise becomes a problem, I would then look into replacing the fans with quieter versions.

And I'll agree that the hybrid system is relatively quiet. My system also includes an Arctic Freezer II 360 AIO CPU cooler and the system as a whole produces noticeable, but thus far tolerable, noise. I haven't bothered to sort out which component produces and contributes the most noise. The only fans I have in the system are the three on the GPU radiator, the one on the GPU card, the three on the CPU radiator, and one small one on the CPU block. I haven't yet discovered a need for more case fans than these. As I write this, the CPU and GPU are reporting their idle temperatures as 27°C and 28°C, respectively (i.e., 80-82°F) with room temperature at 70°F.

A nice noise management feature on the hybrid 3090ti is that the fan on the card itself only spins up when required during demanding graphic output.

I tend to use this type of utility software more for setting fan profiles to balance noise vs. performance rather than for squeezing out the last bit of OC overhead.
Same, I mainly used Precision and now Afterburner (and GWE in Linux) for making custom fan curves, and for the OSD functionality it gets via RTSS (that function is served by MangoHUD in Linux). I also use Afterburner for taking screenshots for non-Steam games, and on the rare occasion I need to capture game footage (I would use nVidia ShadowPlay but that sh1t is locked behind GeForce Experience).

I figure, if I am to see the RGB, I might as well make them serve a useful purpose rather than just be aesthetic.
Yeah, that kind of sh1t I'm okay with.

Become a Patron!
Back