James Gunn, Peter Safran Begin Work on “Eight- to 10-Year Plan” for DC Films, TV, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav revealed last month that he had tapped Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn and producer Peter Safran to lead DC's film, TV, and animation division.

See full article...

I hope this will be a new golden age of movies. MCU has grown stale, generic and mass produced, too much agenda, too little story, too little suspense, and no stakes because "OMG She's awesome"

I hope this will be a new golden age of movies. MCU has grown stale, generic and mass produced, too much agenda, too little story, too little suspense, and no stakes because "OMG She's awesome"
Spider-Man: No Way Home was awesome, and possibly the best of all the marvel movies. Series wise, moon Knight and she hulk were also awesome. Overall, I’d say That the MCU is stronger on the series side right now, but the movies have managed the same range of “ok to good” that they have had since Iron Man.

Spider-Man: No Way Home was awesome, and possibly the best of all the marvel movies. Series wise, moon Knight and she hulk were also awesome. Overall, I’d say That the MCU is stronger on the series side right now, but the movies have managed the same range of “ok to good” that they have had since Iron Man.
Spider man is not strictly marvel. I've heard a lot about she hulk, all bad mind you. I heard a little less about moonknight but that was all bad also. Frankly I have not seen anyone outside of the paid shillsphere praise either. What makes you think they are awesome? What is awesome about either?

Spider man is not strictly marvel. I've heard a lot about she hulk, all bad mind you. I heard a little less about moonknight but that was all bad also. Frankly I have not seen anyone outside of the paid shillsphere praise either. What makes you think they are awesome? What is awesome about either?
She-Hulk was a more light hearted spin on a “marvel series meets lawyer show”. In general I enjoy lawyer shows that stick to “Case of the week” and don’t get drug down too far into serious drama - ex, a show like Suites without the “he doesn’t have a degree” drama. She-Hulk Delivered on case of the week stuff, and didn't too serious on the multi episode story arch. It also stuck with the She-Hulks power in the comics to break the 4th wall (ex, when she escapes to an ad page in the comics), which I enjoyed and I wasn't sure they would carry that over into the show.

Moon Knight was nice in that it didn’t get wrapped too far into the larger marvel universe and it was pretty much stand alone. "are you an Egyption Super Hero" was about the only in universe nod to other super heros existing. I appreciated how they handled the split personality portion, and the Egyptian themes hit well ( at least as someone who loved Egyptian mythology in elementary school and then hasn’t thought about since). I enjoyed the characterization of Khonshu and liked how he kept interjecting amusingly in the earlier episodes. Finally, the Kaiju fight was good without getting silly and it didn’t take over, just fit nicely .

Edit to say I'm neither a critic nor a reviewer. I come into these shows / movies, watch them, and say "was that fun, and was it self coherent?". I know some people come in with an agenda "ex: I'm going to hate this because its a female lead", but that just isn't me.

Last edited:
She-Hulk was a more light hearted spin on a “marvel series meets lawyer show”. In general I enjoy lawyer shows that stick to “Case of the week” and don’t get drug down too far into serious drama - ex, a show like Suites without the “he doesn’t have a degree” drama. She-Hulk Delivered on case of the week stuff, and didn't too serious on the multi episode story arch. It also stuck with the She-Hulks power in the comics to break the 4th wall (ex, when she escapes to an ad page in the comics), which I enjoyed and I wasn't sure they would carry that over into the show.

Moon Knight was nice in that it didn’t get wrapped too far into the larger marvel universe and it was pretty much stand alone. "are you an Egyption Super Hero" was about the only in universe nod to other super heros existing. I appreciated how they handled the split personality portion, and the Egyptian themes hit well ( at least as someone who loved Egyptian mythology in elementary school and then hasn’t thought about since). I enjoyed the characterization of Khonshu and liked how he kept interjecting amusingly in the earlier episodes. Finally, the Kaiju fight was good without getting silly and it didn’t take over, just fit nicely .

Edit to say I'm neither a critic nor a reviewer. I come into these shows / movies, watch them, and say "was that fun, and was it self coherent?". I know some people come in with an agenda "ex: I'm going to hate this because its a female lead", but that just isn't me.
We enjoyed both but more so with Moon Knight. I've been a fan of the character since the 70s-80-s but hadn't really kept up with it since after the 90s. We both really hope they do a 2nd season and loved the casting and just about everything with the show.

She-Hulk, well, we enjoyed it but more ups and downs. Almost stopped watching on a few occasions but decided to stick with it. The thing is the comic book series was quirky in itself and the series did try to capture that. Just not exactly my cup of tea though. I can't say I really liked the last episode but there was something similar to that in the comic books as well. I've got a friend who is a diehard fan and he'd let me read them back in the day which is how I know but that was in the 90s. I know that many will want to get on the agenda hype-train for being against this show but I can say it pretty much mirrored a lot of what was done nearly 30 years ago. There were changes made, of course, but the overall feeling is the same. A shame they didn't get into the story where a Hugh Hefner/Larry Flint type got some pics of her and printed them. That was a funny issue.

She-Hulk, well, we enjoyed it but more ups and downs. Almost stopped watching on a few occasions but decided to stick with it. The thing is the comic book series was quirky in itself and the series did try to capture that. Just not exactly my cup of tea though. I can't say I really liked the last episode but there was something similar to that in the comic books as well. I've got a friend who is a diehard fan and he'd let me read them back in the day which is how I know but that was in the 90s. I know that many will want to get on the agenda hype-train for being against this show but I can say it pretty much mirrored a lot of what was done nearly 30 years ago. There were changes made, of course, but the overall feeling is the same. A shame they didn't get into the story where a Hugh Hefner/Larry Flint type got some pics of her and printed them. That was a funny issue.
I'd agree that the comic book series was quirky and they were pretty successful capturing that. I'd certainly say that if you don't / didn't like the She-Hulk comics, then you probably weren't going to like the show. In the end, I'd say that's probably a good thing too, because it means they stayed true to the source material.

Everyone is a critic, except those who unironically call themselves critics think their opinion is better than everybody else's. Kind of like how modern female leads are written to be better than men in everything, instantly, without having to go through a learning curve. SheHulk is just as guilty of this as any other modern female led show. IE.: She is instantly better than Bruce Banner at everything, and saves him even before becoming she-hulk. It just makes no sense, and gives an air of fakeness to her whole character.

And I love female leads, as long as they are presenting as female, ie. not written to mimic male behaviors and mannerisms. Because modern writers are pathological repressed sexists. They think the only way a woman can beat a man is if they act like men. This has made me completely cynical and jaded of almost all modern entertainment. Because they cannot present a compelling feminine character. And that doesn't mean damsel in distress, not even close. It just means the male characters sole purpose shouldn't be being her punching bags. The occasional jab is OK, but don't present all men as imbeciles to make your dumb female lead look better.

Of course the central issue is that the writers themselves are dumb, with zero experience, so they are not able to write a clever character. I really blame the companies who keeps hiring these agenda driven incompetent creators.

Become a Patron!
Back