Avatar’s Motion Capture VFX Is Way Better Than Marvel’s, says James Cameron: “It’s Not Even Close”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The motion capture VFX that Marvel Studios uses to bring Thanos and other comic book characters to life are no match for the technologies employed for films in the Avatar franchise, according to director James Cameron, who recently sat down for an interview with ComicBook.com and suggested that Wētā FX (formerly Weta Digital), the visual effects company behind Avatar, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the upcoming Avatar sequel, Avatar: The Way of Water, is the best in the industry.

See full article...

I haven't clicked on the link yet but I have read some stories in recent years of crappy treatment by the big studios in regard to deadlines, particularly by Disney but they are not the only ones.
At some point, you have to learn to stand up for yourself. That applies to executive teams as well as individuals.

If you are continually rolling your company over to bend to terms that aren't sustainable, you might win this one job now but ultimately you lose in the long term.

Yeah, someone else may come in and pick it up, but if they are doing the same thing, it'll catch them too. Eventually, the overlords will get the hint that what they are asking for just isn't possible.

I can sympathize with smaller companies and startups - they can't afford to miss too many opportunities. But a business only works if two things are true - you are providing value to your customer ~and~ you are doing that in a manner that is repeatable. Taking losses on jobs, and/or grinding the labor pool or suppliers into the dirt - those aren't sustainable actions.

At some point, you have to learn to stand up for yourself. That applies to executive teams as well as individuals.

If you are continually rolling your company over to bend to terms that aren't sustainable, you might win this one job now but ultimately you lose in the long term.

Yeah, someone else may come in and pick it up, but if they are doing the same thing, it'll catch them too. Eventually, the overlords will get the hint that what they are asking for just isn't possible.

I can sympathize with smaller companies and startups - they can't afford to miss too many opportunities. But a business only works if two things are true - you are providing value to your customer ~and~ you are doing that in a manner that is repeatable. Taking losses on jobs, and/or grinding the labor pool or suppliers into the dirt - those aren't sustainable actions.
Chances are it will end up like in the rest of the tech world, a couple big players or even only one who can do as they please more or less and maybe a couple tiny studios who get by on some low key work.

Become a Patron!
Back