SilverStone MILO 12 Is a Dual Chamber Mini-ITX PC Case

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
All sides of the case feature a metal mesh allowing for optimal airflow and the dual compartment design helps to keep heat from the CPU and GPU separate from each other.

See full article...

Hmm...

I guess it depends on what you do with it - but totally open mesh isn't always the best thing.

Sure, it doesn't restrict airflow - but sometimes you do want to direct airflow. Data centers and energy storage and other high density applications will have hot and cool channels, for example.

Not sure if your typical home PC is dense enough to really matter - most of the heat is going to be coming from the GPU, I guess it depends on cooler design and what all else you have in there and what not.

I do like how the dual-chamber design separates things a bit though. Getting the GPU away from the CPU seems like a step in the right direction but I agree that venting in all directions can be a mixed bag. Careful thought in fan placement is crucial to making the best of it but I think they missed out on a great opportunity by not supporting at least 1x 240mm AIO in the front.

I was always proud that I achieved near liquid-cooled performance levels with my HAFs but it was at the expense of noise, a ton of fans, and a huge footprint. I put a considerable amount of thought into fan placement and airflow direction to achieve it. They served me well, for over a decade, but I'm glad to be moving onwards with smaller and quieter options.

I was always proud that I achieved near liquid-cooled performance levels with my HAFs but it was at the expense of noise, a ton of fans, and a huge footprint. I put a considerable amount of thought into fan placement and airflow direction to achieve it. They served me well, for over a decade, but I'm glad to be moving onwards with smaller and quieter options.
My first custom loop is a wash in terms of performance, but in terms of noise? Night and day.

I do like how the dual-chamber design separates things a bit though. Getting the GPU away from the CPU seems like a step in the right direction but I agree that venting in all directions can be a mixed bag. Careful thought in fan placement is crucial to making the best of it but I think they missed out on a great opportunity by not supporting at least 1x 240mm AIO in the front.
CPU cooling is the Achille's heal here. Anything more than ~70W is going to struggle, and anything that likes to clock high is going to be limited. If you can't get at least a 240mm AIO when height constrained, I have to say personally that I'm not really interested; the case isn't actually designed with gaming or 'workstation' use in mind.

the case isn't actually designed with gaming or 'workstation' use in mind.
I agree. They were close to that goal but need a little bit more size to have achieved both. For those with med-light needs, it'll work but beyond that in either direction and it gets tricky.

Become a Patron!
Back