Gamers Sue Microsoft Over $69 Billion Activision Blizzard Deal

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft's proposed $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard has hit what appears to be another stumbling block in the form of a federal antitrust lawsuit that was filed in San Francisco today by gamers who believe that the merger would harm the gaming industry, one that could "foreclose rivals, limit output, reduce consumer choice, raise prices, and further inhibit competition.”

See full article...

Going to be the same as always, some of the key creative types will leave a bit after the aquiqition to form new companies or retire leaving the husk of a once profitable company (not that there are already any left at blizzard if one is to believe all you read on the internets)

This is a private antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft, filed on behalf of ten "gamers" who reside in three different states (California, New Mexico, and New Jersey). That seems... weird?

Likely one of their dads is a lawyer and thinks they can cheese some easy settlement money out threatening to take it to trial.

This is a private antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft, filed on behalf of ten "gamers" who reside in three different states (California, New Mexico, and New Jersey). That seems... weird?
Indeed. California and NM I get, but then Jersey? I live in NM and I'm a gamer and they didn't contact me but it wouldn't matter since I'm somewhat impartial on this anyway. The Activision I grew up with died a long, long, time ago.

Indeed. California and NM I get, but then Jersey? I live in NM and I'm a gamer and they didn't contact me but it wouldn't matter since I'm somewhat impartial on this anyway. The Activision I grew up with died a long, long, time ago.
Gaming Clans know no geographical boundaries.

This looks like a novel way of stopping a buyout that probably shouldn't happen. There is nothing beneficial to consumers if MS buys this company. We've all seen what happens to companies in buyouts such as this, the purchasing company zombiefies most of what is left and lets it shamble around for a few years before putting a bullet in the back of its head. I think it would be better to allow the purchased companies to die or split up in case employees of said company wish to purchase parts and strike out on their own. The amount of consolidation in gaming hit a threshold of bad years ago and more isn't going to help anyone.

Become a Patron!
Back