Desktop Graphics Card Sales Have Hit Their Lowest Point since 2005

Just saw an article that the big players all cut orders from TSMC. Guess flying off the shelves in only some places isn't enough.

And, yet, AMD 7000 series are selling out the second drops occur.

Title should be "Nvidia GPU sale have hit their lowest point since 2005".

Integrated graphics have become much more capable over the years and have all but eliminated most low-end discrete GPU purchases, which makes interpretation somewhat less straightforward.

Integrated graphics have become much more capable over the years and replaced most of the low-end discrete GPU purchases, which makes interpretation somewhat less straightforward.
Integrated graphics was good enough for office work and basic usage for 15 years, but it's still not good enough for anything else, I don't see a change there.

Well, i suppose there is a price point that will start cracking the market, even though appearances seem to be the opposite. When a gaming computer ends up being multples of top end consoles you know you are being ripped off. Hell the gpu alone can be multiples of top end consoles.
Also used to be that you could put together your pc for very near in price ( could be even lower if you got some stuff on sale) to the equivalent of oem , you could tweak it how you liked and you would still be right there in price, or very close. This hasn't been so for very long, I know, but it gotten so bad.
The prices are out of whack. Doesn't help that neither Nvidia nor AMD want to focus their engineering into price/ performance... Nvidia is.much much worse, but AMD ain't that great either. Focus on saving like, how about a mid/ low range card, with a mere 4gb memory, but of the fastest, widest imaginable ( low amount should keep price down), and they come up with some decent compression techniques... Something like this, a very powerful very cheap 1080 or 1440 card or whatever, not 4k but price to sell at 199, i mean cheap. What they do instead is come up with a mammoth card, and cut it down to oblivion, but it doesn't even scale too well in price, performance.

I
Integrated graphics was good enough for office work and basic usage for 15 years, but it's still not good enough for anything else, I don't see a change there.
I agree, and it seems very much intentional. There is no technological reason as to why AMD doesn't produce APUs at cosole level power. I guess like always they are waiting for Intel to go for it and be successful, so then they can try and fail hard since Intel will have all they players tied down.

You can play a bunch of games on an APU. I logged over 1000 hours of gaming on my A10 7870k

This happens when you only release cards at the highest price points, keep raising prices across the board, and you decimate the price structure that previously held the most popular cards. @Uvilla is right.

I don’t think it has anything to do with IGP.

NVidia has what, 85% market share now? You may be entirely correct, but even at “sellout instantly” AMD doesn’t have enough cards to make a dent in overall sales right now.

You can play a bunch of games on an APU. I logged over 1000 hours of gaming on my A10 7870k
An APU is not the same thing as an iGPU. APU still has real graphics hardware. You can game on an APU. You can't do jack sh1t on an iGPU.

An APU is not the same thing as an iGPU. APU still has real graphics hardware. You can game on an APU. You can't do jack sh1t on an iGPU.
That’s the low to low-mid range market now isn’t it? No need need for, say, a GTX-3030 or maybe even a 3050 when you have a $175 Ryzen 5700G.

APU is a marketing term for AMD's CPUs with integrated graphics. E.g., Ryzen 7000-series CPUs are APUs. Intel has its own marketing terms, but they're both IGPs (or IGPUs). Wikipedia uses integrated graphics processing unit to encompass various vendor implementations, including but not limited to those by AMD and Intel, and is thus in agreement.

At any rate, low-end discrete GPUs have basically evaporated from the market. Regardless of how awesome or terrible people think IGPs are, it seems like an oversight to dismiss their potential impact on discrete graphics card sales from 2005 to present. But the recent slump? Yeah, I doubt IGPs were much of a factor.

I wonder if sales numbers include laptops with dedicated GPU's in them, or only cards sold individually.

XTX models yes, XT models are in stock in Belgium, even on AMD.com

The XTX third party models are even priced nearly the same as a 4080

XTX models yes, XT models are in stock in Belgium, even on AMD.com

The XTX third party models are even priced nearly the same as a 4080
Nobody wants the XT when you can get a 6950 cheaper and it's roughly +/- 2-3% the same performance.

We all know that the graphics card market is up beyond what we all would like it to be cost wise. I think what figures in to the sales numbers being low is that everything in the world has gone up in price like groceries, gas, and just the essentials alike. Some of you know I'm in the automotive business and we certainly have seen our numbers go down.
I think more people are going to the used hardware market, or just riding out with what hardware they have in hoping the market comes back to what it was in the past. I know that's my thinking in my job currently, but I'm just not sure when and if that will ever happen.

I wonder if sales numbers include laptops with dedicated GPU's in them, or only cards sold individually.
It's in the article. They do have both but are indicated and tracked separately. The catch is that back in 2005 there where few or no discreet laptop GPUs to track so it doesn't exactly correlate but these days it is a substantial number. Ironically though, the two were an even split for 2022 at 6.9 million each.

Become a Patron!
Back