NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Founders Edition Specifications, Performance, and Box Photos Teased

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
RedGamingTech's Paul Eccleston has shared a bunch purported information regarding what is apparently NVIDIA's next GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics card, the GeForce RTX 4070. Unlike the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, NVIDIA will be releasing a Founders Edition of the GPU, according to photos that Eccleston shared. The GeForce RTX 4070 is also said to offer performance that's on par with the GeForce RTX 3080.

See full article...

They can literally go Eff themselves with rusty hooks for all I care about them at this point. I am so disenfranchised with the current nvidia lineup.

I remember when I started building PC's, before discreet 3d graphics was a thing and the top games on PC were like the OLD warcraft or for higher end Dune, and Command And Conquer. Or triangle tanks for local lan play. (Can't remember that one.).

Back when knowledge was more important to grow than budgets for hardware.

Over the years it has all changed. Now if you want to learn how to build computers and enjoy gaming on them you have to spend a literal F-TON of money. This will prevent people from getting into the industry all together. No more home grown experts on IT stuff. It's sad.

They can literally go Eff themselves with rusty hooks for all I care about them at this point. I am so disenfranchised with the current nvidia lineup.

I remember when I started building PC's, before discreet 3d graphics was a thing and the top games on PC were like the OLD warcraft or for higher end Dune, and Command And Conquer. Or triangle tanks for local lan play. (Can't remember that one.).

Back when knowledge was more important to grow than budgets for hardware.

Over the years it has all changed. Now if you want to learn how to build computers and enjoy gaming on them you have to spend a literal F-TON of money. This will prevent people from getting into the industry all together. No more home grown experts on IT stuff. It's sad.
I don’t know what you’re talking about in build cost. I used to spend my whole summer working to buy a build right around Labor Day.

My builds are all less expensive than what they used to cost. I spent over 2000 for my pentium 133 build. Over 3000 each for my p2 400, and p3 733 builds. My Athlon TBird build came in around 2500, and every build since that TBird has been less expensive and longer lasting.

I don’t know what you’re talking about in build cost. I used to spend my whole summer working to buy a build right around Labor Day.

My builds are all less expensive than what they used to cost. I spent over 2000 for my pentium 133 build. Over 3000 each for my p2 400, and p3 733 builds. My Athlon TBird build came in around 2500, and every build since that TBird has been less expensive and longer lasting.
Yep and those were high end builds then. Today y9u can spend that on a video card and still need to drop another 1k on cpu motherboard ram oh and a couple hundred for storage.. don't forget your kb, mouse, and monitor or monitors. Another 1k there to round out the set.. dang yea headset.. another 159 bucks... 500ish for a good chair and your closer to 6k than you ever thought you would be.

Yep and those were high end builds then. Today y9u can spend that on a video card and still need to drop another 1k on cpu motherboard ram oh and a couple hundred for storage.. don't forget your kb, mouse, and monitor or monitors. Another 1k there to round out the set.. dang yea headset.. another 159 bucks... 500ish for a good chair and your closer to 6k than you ever thought you would be.
This is true if you're kitting out your workspace from scratch (you forgot the desk and the mood lighting :D), but you also don't have to go that far, of course.

It's still important to point out that 'high-end' isn't needed to game. If you demand to always have the very best experience, you're going to pay for it in this hobby - but still not nearly as much as many others. PC gaming is still broadly accessible, and accessible worldwide at that.

Perhaps the biggest draw of this 4070 FE will be how small the PCB is. Assuming that it'll also be pretty efficient, it will probably work very well in smaller builds, and also lend itself well to custom watercooling.

I often think about how much it would cost me to build from scratch, just for an o.k. 1080p gaming rig that surpasses a console, and I'm thankful that I've been doing it long enough to have multiple upgrade paths in place for things to offset most other sticker shocks. However, if I were to start from scratch it would take some effort to keep a complete build (rig, display, and accessories) at under $2K these days. I'm not saying it can't be done but it would be a challenge. I don't believe it could be done for under the price of a $600 console though and still outperform said console.

What do you need to pass a console these days? Will a 3050 cut it? You can get a 15" gaming laptop with a 3050 from dell for 749, so I'd think you could manage a desktop for less than that.

What do you need to pass a console these days? Will a 3050 cut it? You can get a 15" gaming laptop with a 3050 from dell for 749, so I'd think you could manage a desktop for less than that.
You need at least a 3060 to defeinitely surpass the PS5, and that costs as much as a PS5 digital version here in the EU. About $650 here. We used to be able to build an entire PC from that 2-3 gens ago that would eat a console for breakfast.

Also mind you a laptop 3050 is far from a desktop one. You'd need a 3080 laptop to even hope to match the PS5. Laptop 3080 < Desktop 3060

Last edited:

I have no idea how your builds got cheaper, unless you have been building lower and lower end PCs..

The last time PCs got cheaper was during the early 90s, it has been a constant upward trend ever since, with a giant spike at the RTX introduction.

I have no idea how your builds got cheaper, unless you have been building lower and lower end PCs..

The last time PCs got cheaper was during the early 90s, it has been a constant upward trend ever since, with a giant spike at the RTX introduction.
I always bought the top end processor and video card (2x video cards with the 12mb Monster 3d voodoo2) , then spent extra money on SCSI raid arrays and extra ram. Eventually I stopped doing SCSI arrays and replaced them with WD Velicoraptors which was cheaper, then SSDs were cheaper still. Ram got way cheaper over time and SLI went away with AGP and I never really got back into it when NVidia brought SLI back.

You need at least a 3060 to defeinitely surpass the PS5, and that costs as much as a PS5 digital version here in the EU. About $650 here. We used to be able to build an entire PC from that 2-3 gens ago that would eat a console for breakfast.

Also mind you a laptop 3050 is far from a desktop one. You'd need a 3080 laptop to even hope to match the PS5. Laptop 3080 < Desktop 3060
On the AMD side of the house: the 6600XT would be a hair slower, the 6650 almost dead-on, and the 6700 (non-XT) a hair faster, than a PS5 - going off basic TFLOPS: which would probably be fairly close since all of those, including the PS5, are 7nm RDNA2

I’d also note; it used to be we were stuck for over a decade on a single Console generation, near the end of that cycle yeah, it was very easy to build a competitive PC when the console is coming up on 10 years old.

Last edited:
I’d also note; it used to be we were stuck for over a decade on a single Console generation, near the end of that cycle yeah, it was very easy to build a competitive PC when the console is coming up on 10 years old.
I'm not talking just end of generation, but the entire lifespan. Consoles used to be obsolete compared to PCs as soon as they came out. That's why we were seething when we got console ports. This is the first time a console is a viable alternative to a gaming PC, and not just the peasant way. All thanks to nVidia's greed, and AMD's ineptitude as a competitor.

Nvidia won't sell you 2 cards for 400 if they can sell you one for 800.
Same amd really.

Not the same cards but does have some relevance here:
qDDHKG-z8Srw-Mja91R5laWRAfddkd-ey-6cY6DHEdY.jpg

Nvidia won't sell you 2 cards for 400 if they can sell you one for 800.
Same amd really.

but they can't sell me one for 800 (or at least not this one, a 4080 for around 800 would do)

My go to webshop has 4 different 4090's in stock,, 8 different 4080's and half a dozen 4070 Ti's, **** don't sell like the 3000 series, those were sold out for months after launch, seems they do not want to sell these.

I didn’t have the patience to watch that guy drivel on. Is the 4070 FE a blower card? If so, that would be ideal for a use case I have

those were sold out for months after launch
Yup.

A good part of that was the crypto bubble - everything and anything that was made sold instantly, at pretty much any price, because hey, free crypto money eventually pays for it, just a matter of how long you are willing to go out for an ROI.

By the time that had dried up, there was a lot of pent up demand and stuff kept clearing for a good bit. But eventually you have sold something to all the gamers that are able to continue to spend (nearly) anything just like the crypto guys, then the manufacturers have pulled the bottom end out of the market in the next generation. That means the rest of the modest-means gamers have had to just give up.

Now we've finally found the floor - those people who can afford cards; well that niche market did always exist, and they usually sprung for top-tier no-compromises models. And those have sold about as well as they always have. Everyone else looks for some spot on the value-proposition spectrum, and that's a bitter pill to swallow right now, as there isn't really any spectrum -- there's too expensive, too damned expensive, and holy F'n **** expensive.

I'm anxious to see what happens as the rest of this generation rolls out: we've already screwed the pooch near the high end, but we haven't seen what, if anything, they do towards the middle and bottom of the generational stack. Either side could right the ship if they bring some strong offerings in the sub-$500 market, and especially in that +/- $250 niche that has typically been the most popular.

All those gamers sitting with 1060's, 1050's, 1650's, and so forth are ready to upgrade (even if you believe that 90% of the SHS are game cafe machines over in Asia, those need upgrades too). They just need something in their price range worth upgrading to.

but they can't sell me one for 800 (or at least not this one, a 4080 for around 800 would do)

My go to webshop has 4 different 4090's in stock,, 8 different 4080's and half a dozen 4070 Ti's, **** don't sell like the 3000 series, those were sold out for months after launch, seems they do not want to sell these.
Yea they won't sell you one, or me, but they only need half the people buy, and even then they'll probably have more profit. These high prices though make the market ripe for a new player to become.dominant enough fairly quickly. Thing is its just too steep the cost to enter, too intense in terms of drivers and all that. If there was a a way to be super efficient in those, a player could grow overnight. Intel is wasting time as always, as always they wont see mega profits instantly and will probably pull out (is my guess).

Now we've finally found the floor - those people who can afford cards; well that niche market did always exist, and they usually sprung for top-tier no-compromises models. And those have sold about as well as they always have. Everyone else looks for some spot on the value-proposition spectrum, and that's a bitter pill to swallow right now, as there isn't really any spectrum -- there's too expensive, too damned expensive, and holy F'n **** expensive.
It's not even just the prices, it's nVidia's shady marketing, advertising 4070ti as 3x faster than a 3090ti when really it just beats the 3080 a $700 MSRP card from two years ago by a small margin.

Become a Patron!
Back