Intel Announces 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition CPU with 6.0 GHz Frequency for $699

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has officially announced the Core i9-13900KS, a new flagship Raptor Lake desktop CPU that will deliver up to 6.0 GHz max turbo frequency out of the box. According to a press release from Intel, this is the first processor in the PC industry to cross that threshold at stock, beating out the standard Core i9-13900 K and KF models, which are listed with a maximum boost clock of up to 5.8 GHz. The special edition processor will be available beginning January 12, 2023, with a recommended customer price starting at $699.

See full article...

As yeehaw, hold on to your britches, 6 GHz sounds it's a hard pass for me on a 320W TDP processor.
I still remember 5Ghz on air a few years ago, and hidden phase change coolers on show room floors, so yeah - this stuff doesn’t excite me as much once I see the trade offs. 320W, yikes

I can tease >300W out of an i5, just by taking the brakes off and giving it a moderate synthetic load to chew on.

But you'll never see that unless you run a near-synthetic workload to do... well, work. Games certainly aren't going to get you there.

And one thing to keep in mind - the KS SKU is most valuable for being a factory up-bin. Having a more agreeable voltage / frequency curve can definitely help in the extremes. The brave will be running it delidded with sub-ambient liquid cooling, and the truly mad will just set a copper cup on top and pour in liquid nitrogen!

Never been excited by Intel's "Special Edition" processors. Pretty much just paying for bragging rights at this point.

Become a Patron!
Back