Retailer Reports Selling More NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Graphics Cards than AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, RX 7900 XT, and Intel Arc A770/A380 Combined

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
These totals paint a picture showing how consumers are still far more focused on purchasing lower costs GPUs vs any of the newest flagship offerings. NVIDIA's own flagship cards, the RTX 4090 and RTX 4080, had 210 and 190 units sold respectively, or 400 combined which is still far less than the 545 units sold for the RTX 4070 Ti.

See full article...

Are there 4080 cards parked on store shelves yet? Asking uhhh... for a friend.
I actually saw a post on Reddit over the weekend where there were some 4090s at a Microcenter. I forget where but I was still pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a lot but looked like 6-12 cards, 3-4 different models in a locked display case.

Not sure about physical stores, but there are plenty of 4080 online.
I even saw a 4080 FE to buy online at BB.

Interesting news article. Looks like the price and Ray Tracing are important.
3060 Ti cards are actually pretty stout.
Shows the new cards are just too expensive for alot of folks.

I actually saw a post on Reddit over the weekend where there were some 4090s at a Microcenter. I forget where but I was still pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a lot but looked like 6-12 cards, 3-4 different models in a locked display case.
I saw a Zotac 4090 over the weekend at my local Microcenter. Not exactly my target brand, so I passed, but at only 200 more than the Asus Strix 4080, I'd get the Zotac 4090 over the Asus 4080.

Not surprising.

It's the worst value xx70ti card in history, but it has many things going in its favor.

1.) Nvidia has successfully strong-armed the market into believing that they must have good RT support. AMD just doesn't, at least not yet. They are fully capable of designing boards with good RT support, but I think they were blindsided by Nvidia making the push when the RTX 2xxx series came out, and that that point their arch for the next ~6 years was probably already too far along to back off. Their approach with RDNA would already have been cemented. They could massage it around the edges to improve RT performance a little, but it was too late to do a U-turn and start adding tensor cores like Nvidia. Chip development pipelines are LONG. Nvidia did a surprisngly good job in keeping their upcoming RT push under wraps. I'm expecting that once AMD's next full arch (not just an RDNA refresh) comes out, we will see them catch up a bunch. 2024 maybe?

2.) AMD has had some issues this gen. First it was the spurious cooler results, and now reports of elevated failure rates. A lot of gamers are just scared of buying something they think might fail. AMD would be well advised to extend the warranty for this gen of GPU's to put potential buyers a little more at ease. GPU's are really expensive now. It's not like the old days when a GPU cost $250 to $350 and you replaced it after six months. People buy them planning on keeping them for many years now, and buying something with a known quality issue/failure rate is too much for many people.

3.) Intel's ARC GPU's, while a welcome addition to the competition, are not exactly measuring up. So no surprise there they wouldn't sell well.

And this right here is a recipe for the outcome we are seeing right now.

I hope AMD gets their **** together and fixes their current issues, and pushes something with good RT performance out the door in the next year or so. I also hope Intel takes the challenges with ARC as a sign they need to do better, not as a sign that they should drop out of the discrete GPU market before they even get started.

If they do, the market can improve. Otherwise, welcome to another 5 dark years of poor competition, just like 2015-2020, except with higher prices, because that's what we apparently are doing now.

Last edited:
Nvidia has successfully strong-armed the market into believing that they must have good RT support. AMD just doesn't, at least not yet.
I'd challenge this; AMDs RT support is about one generation behind Nvidia's. That is to say that if the RX7000-series has RT at the level of Nvidia's RTX3000-series, then AMDs RT is already good enough for gaming.

Not talking in terms of racing benchmarks, but actually playing games.

And I don't really know whether AMD can close that gap. They have a lot of gaps to close outside of gaming as well that are going to consume development resources both for their discrete GPU line as well as for their IGPs and APUs. At this time I'd still prefer Nvidia even at a slight price/performance disadvantage just for 'everything else', and I'd still recommend AMD for pure gaming scenarios where they make sense for the gaming workload and budget.

I feel sorry for Intel. I really wanted better for them. There's still time to recover but I'm having doubts.

I agree AMD needs to close the gap and we're seeing some growing pains with the 1st GPU chiplet rollout but I still have high hopes for the next round. Unleash the hounds and go bonkers with it.

NVIDIA continues to dominate but has been for a very long time. It doesn't mean that I still can't laugh a bit about the 4080 though. People will either opt for an all-in with a 4090 or backtrack to the 4070 Ti if they want the green juice for a lower price. The next question is how everything under it performs and its actual prices. At this point, anything below a 4070 Ti is really getting into the last-gen space and will have to be priced under to truly be attractive to customers. This report proves that with several of the 3000 series in the top 10 along with the AMD 6000 series.

Saw this big time with the 6000 series as well, but AMD has to split their fab capacity between CPU and GPU, and probably are weighted more heavily towards CPUs these days as I suspect they are probably higher margin. nVidia has very little "other than GPU" manufacturing they do.

I feel sorry for Intel. I really wanted better for them. There's still time to recover but I'm having doubts.

I agree AMD needs to close the gap and we're seeing some growing pains with the 1st GPU chiplet rollout but I still have high hopes for the next round. Unleash the hounds and go bonkers with it.

NVIDIA continues to dominate but has been for a very long time. It doesn't mean that I still can't laugh a bit about the 4080 though. People will either opt for an all-in with a 4090 or backtrack to the 4070 Ti if they want the green juice for a lower price. The next question is how everything under it performs and its actual prices. At this point, anything below a 4070 Ti is really getting into the last-gen space and will have to be priced under to truly be attractive to customers. This report proves that with several of the 3000 series in the top 10 along with the AMD 6000 series.

I'm not going to shed any tears for Intel. Nvidia is the latest ****ty anti-consumer company, but Intel has a long long history of doing that ****.

That said, I hope Intel doesn't give up. The market needs more competition, and it will only be worse with one fewer players.

I'm hopeful that they double down and try to improve, but lately Intel has been pulling the plug on things left and right over less severe setbacks, so who knows.

Intel jumped in when the Crypto boom was at its height and there were enormous margins to be had. Nvidia is forcing up the margins now too by limiting supply, but if Intel wants to do that they have to play in the same league, and right now they just aren't. So what once looked like easy money is now a "fight for the market" territory, and who knows if they will be willing to do it.

Crypto could come back swinging, but there are no guarantees, and it could wind up being regulated at any moment.

feel sorry for Intel. I really wanted better for them.
I would have bought an A770 if I could have found one at MSRP (an intel one that is not a board partner one) but no dice. From what I read their drivers seem to have improved substancially, maybe I'll find one of the refresh.

I'm not going to shed any tears for Intel. Nvidia is the latest ****ty anti-consumer company, but Intel has a long long history of doing that ****.

That said, I hope Intel doesn't give up. The market needs more competition, and it will only be worse with one fewer players.

I'm hopeful that they double down and try to improve, but lately Intel has been pulling the plug on things left and right over less severe setbacks, so who knows.
Too true. I'd forgotten about that in my moment of having pity for them but I still want them to succeed for the sake of competition.

Become a Patron!
Back