Hogwarts Legacy Is Warner Bros. Games Biggest Launch Ever

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The folks at Warner Bros. Games are celebrating as Hogwarts Legacy has hit a milestone with $850 million in worldwide sales in just two weeks. Over 12 million units of the game have been sold and it hasn't even seen a full release for consoles yet as older-gen releases will not happen until April 4 (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) and then July 25 (Nintendo Switch). Warner Bros. Games has said that the game is breaking multiple records with 1.28 million peak concurrent viewers on Twitch at launch, so far 280 million hours played, and traffic at its Wizarding World Digital site has increased by over 300 percent during the game's first 10 days of release.

See full article...

After putting some time in with this game on the weekend I can easily see why it's setting so many records for them and I expect those #s to grow greatly in the coming months after the older-gen versions get released.

Yea I know quite a few people waiting for it to come down to the last gen consoles. The game is really great though. I just hope it maintains how great it is on the older consoles too. I imagine pop in will be VERY painful on those. I still see some on my system.

Wouldn't 850 million in two weeks make it the biggest WB release ever? (Not just among games)
Could be and if not, close, and I'd even go further to say that one of the first HP movies probably holds that record.

Could be and if not, close, and I'd even go further to say that one of the first HP movies probably holds that record.
The largest HP movie made 1.3 billion in its entire run, there is no separate data about the first two weeks.
I think with last gen console release HL can break that record.

I see Mortal Kombat 11 sold 15+ milion copies, also they have a lot of the lego games, they seem to be selling decently also them batman games.

Yea I know quite a few people waiting for it to come down to the last gen consoles. The game is really great though. I just hope it maintains how great it is on the older consoles too. I imagine pop in will be VERY painful on those. I still see some on my system.
Well, I've got about 20 hours into it and I'm loving it. I am surprised how CPU intensive it can be with everything maxed at 4K. My 3700X was having a hard time maintaining 50-55 FPS at 5120x1440p with its overclocked Hybrid 3090 Ti (averages 2145-2160 MHz for this) but meanwhile, the 5800X3D with the air-cooled 3090 Ti (2085-2100 MHz) Ti has no problem at 4K 60 FPS using the same settings. The 5800X3D/4090 Hybrid (2885 MHz) can do 69-100 FPS (frame generation) with TAA and everything else maxed.

Hardware stuff aside I'm having a blast. Visually speaking I rate this game between six and nine. I'll give credit to the developers as they've not only must've read the books (I have not) but have a great deal of passion for recreating the world. Texture quality, and lighting/shading really, really, vary throughout the game which is why I give it a range instead of a flat number. There are wow moments and then there are some meh ones as well. My GPUs can't really do much more with it as is for 4K max settings so I'll keep my complaints to a minimum. Controls are fine, flying isn't as bad as I feared but will take a little getting used to.

In terms of gameplay, I'm enjoying it and glad I committed to playing it with more dedicated/exclusive attention since I had a feeling it would need it. Just finished the room of requirement lessons and things definitely got a bit more complicated. I'm grinding away with it but having a blast. My wife still checks in since there are plenty of moments that have me laughing/chuckling. The castle is simply amazing. The most fun I've had exploring a castle in a very long time. Since she did read the books and got me into watching the movies I'm constantly having her watch different things as I find them. Hogsmeade and the Room of Requirement are so much better than the movies. I'm very much looking forward to exploring all this game has to offer and I'm already aware this is one of those games that will become empty once you've looked in every nook and cranny but it seems like there's a lot to do.

Well after fully digging into this game back around May-June I finally finished it last weekend. I totally did the grind, put in about 90 hours, and have 99% done. The game unfortunately does have ways to allow players to miss out on completing some tasks w/o any real notifications of what they are. I googled this phenomenon over the weekend and my circumstances are nearly identical to a number of others but I wasn't able to fully identify what I missed as the stuff I read wasn't the same. I'm aware of some things I can still look for in Hogwarts/Hogsmeade/etc. but otherwise, nothing really else is left but in my challenges, it says I'm missing one enemy/side quest but that's it.

I had a blast and it was a fun way to spend the summer. I haven't played a game like that in the summer since my youth. I can easily nitpick a number of things but overall I really enjoyed it, especially the story, visual designs, and dedication to lore. Next on the list is much more dark, RE4, but with Starfield being so close to launch there's a chance I might do that if the first reviews are positive enough. At the moment I'm having a hardtime paying 60-70 for RE4 given that I feel a little bit burned with content from the last two (Winters Song and RE3).

Edit: Just to add it was also nice seeing how well the game could scale across all three of my rigs and laptop. From 4090 (DLSS3 framegen worked well here) and C2 to the hybrid 3090 Ti and 32:9 CRG9 (flying is an experience on this) to the air-cooled 3090 and 65 IPS Z9D, and even a little testing on my 130W mobile 3070 laptop, the game did well with various adjustments but it can be a little CPU intensive at moments.

I enjoyed the crap out of hogwarts legacy and want to see a Part II or whatever they want to call it. Still hoping for them doing the other schools of magic as an exchange student. :)

Each release could be a different school/year finishing with a revamped hogwarts at the end or something or even a ministry of magic apprenticeship going over to the US for an investigation. :) I want to see them embrace and add to the expanded world.

If you like games that go deep and can handle the CRPG turn based game try Baldur's Gate 3. I've been loving that.

If you like games that go deep and can handle the CRPG turn based game try Baldur's Gate 3. I've been loving that.
It's on my radar. The last time I got close to something like that was the Kings Bounty games. I really got into all of them (except the last one that came out a year or so ago and got poor reviews). Still haven't made my mind up yet for what will be next. I really want to play RE4 but can't justify the spend and meanwhile, I'm even more interested in Starfield but very hesitant to get at launch, and then the CB2077 expansion is right around the corner but I'm not sure if I'm ready to return to that depressing, but incredibly detailed game.

Become a Patron!
Back