The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition Announced for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Obsidian Entertainment has announced The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition, a definitive version of its award-winning, space-faring RPG that not only includes the base game and all of its previously released add-on content (e.g., Peril on Gorgon and Murder on Eridanos), but also a range of new features and optimizations, including better graphics, improved performance, an increased level cap, and more. Players who already have The Outer Worlds and its associated DLCs for Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, or PC (Steam, GOG.com, Epic Games Store, or Windows Store), can upgrade to The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition for the latest console generation within that same console family or, if applicable, from that same PC store at a reduced purchase price. The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition will be released on March 7, 2023.

See full article...

Did they forget their own jingle?

~"It's not the best choice...

...it's spacer's choice!"

That said, I'm all for improvements, but I don't think I am going to "upgrade at a reduced price". I've already played through the story. I know how it ends. I don't think I'm going to do it again.

Who does that?

I only have the one epic was giving away. If it's good maybe.. dunno

I only have the one epic was giving away. If it's good maybe.. dunno

I thought it was a decent game. A little goofy for my tastes. I would have preferred it more realistic and gritty, but that seems to be what is trendy these days.

If anything it was a little on the short side. At least the main story quests, but there are lots of pretty decent side quests, so you can expand it if you want to.

It was worth my $1 Xbox Game Pass Subscription for the time being. It wasn't worth keeping around after that. I feel like I got my $1 worth, but glad I didn't pay a lot more.

Still need to finish this, would have helped if the gear was a bit more different.

I also went to a wrong planet early on which was way too high level and that kind of ruined it, they gave you a choice where to go so it did not enter my mind that there were level differences in the destinations and as such to check the others out first.

There is a decent game in there, seems a bit rushed/incomplete, maybe one day I'll return to it.

If you already paid for everything like a dummy, you get...a mild discount. LOL, I fully expected it to be a free upgrade to those who already paid full price for everything.

It was worth my $1 Xbox Game Pass Subscription for the time being. It wasn't worth keeping around after that. I feel like I got my $1 worth, but glad I didn't pay a lot more.
Same for me, I played it on a trial subscription and that was about it. It is not a bad game, but gets monotonic and dull. The world felt cramped and small, and the companions can't even be talked to outside of missions.

It's basically fallout 4 in space, but worse.

I can't remember if it was my 3700X or the X570 but I got it free with one of them and put maybe an hour or two into it, said I go back, and never did. I didn't hate it but it didn't draw me in either so there's zero chance I'll upgrade to this and I've got enough on my plate as is anyway.

I thought it was totally worth finishing, but then again "open world FPS with RPG elements" is kind of my thing.

Not the best the genre has to offer, but still pretty decent in my book.

Last edited:
I finished it, but I remember a time when games weren't simply decent, they were magical. At least hogwarts legacy brought back that feeling.

I finished it, but I remember a time when games weren't simply decent, they were magical. At least hogwarts legacy brought back that feeling.

I remember that too, but then I have gone back to play some of those games years later, and while I still got a nostalgia kick out of them, the magic was long since gone.

I tend to think a lot of that "magical" game experience may have had more to do with the age we were when we first played them, than it has to do with the quality of the games themselves. Just about nothing in life, music, going to concerts, movies, or any other experience is quite as "magical" now in my 40's as it was when I was in my teens in the 90's.

I can't speak to Hogwarts. I haven't played it, and probably won't. I don't do 3rd person titles, and generally have never played a game based on a movie franchise which I liked. They always feel kind of lame to me. I'm also above the age of the target demographic of anything Harry Potter. I remember when the first Harry Potter book first came out 1n 1997. I was 17 at the time and remember thinking t was a cute book for the little children to read. Then when it grew and grown-*** adults started reading the series and becoming fans I rolled my eyes so far back in my skull I think they might partially have become stuck there, as I have been rolling my eyes at things ever since :p

I sometimes feel like I turned 40 when I was 17. I also rarely enjoy any new music or movies released after 1997. 10 years later on, by 2007, I started rolling my eyes at new tech too. :p

Last edited:
I hear ya, @Zarathustra. I put effort into keeping up with new things up until my 30s and by my 40s I really noticed that I was pulling back from it. Now that I'm in my 50s my awareness of what is new is limited to what is forced from YT suggestions, tv shows, and various media coverage. Otherwise, I don't even try anymore because it's gotten to the point that new doesn't sound new, just redone. In terms of Harry P, everyone around me, friends/family/co-workers got into it at the time and it wasn't until around the 3rd or 4th movie that I finally began watching them and got hooked but I never read the books. I was pretty much done with books by that time.

Re-playing old games of course can't substitute for new experiences. I already played the old games to death. Re-visiting them offers no excitement when you know every level, every conversation, and every choice by heart already.

I can still enjoy games just as I used to, only they come rarer and rarer despite the fact that my perception of time is accelerating with age. I feel like I'm waiting ages between great games.

As for Hogwarts, I never seen any of the movies, never read the books, and still loving the game. The fact that it is based on a children's story just gives it a more innocent flavor that I actually like. It feels like something completely alien in today's climate, but in a good way. I fully expected the game to be a college simulator filled with entitled brats, but to my surprise everyone is polite and well mannered, even the rivals are likeable.

I actually feel like I'm still 17. An adult who can enjoy games is just a child who survived.

As for Hogwarts, I never seen any of the movies, never read the books, and still loving the game. The fact that it is based on a children's story just gives it a more innocent flavor that I actually like. It feels like something completely alien in today's climate, but in a good way. I fully expected the game to be a college simulator filled with entitled brats, but to my surprise everyone is polite and well mannered, even the rivals are likeable.
My wife even commented while I was playing it that she saw me smiling and was really surprised. I feel the same way about it too and I'm really surprised about that. I actually felt a bit younger just from the few hours I had with it this weekend.

I hear ya, @Zarathustra. I put effort into keeping up with new things up until my 30s and by my 40s I really noticed that I was pulling back from it. Now that I'm in my 50s my awareness of what is new is limited to what is forced from YT suggestions, tv shows, and various media coverage. Otherwise, I don't even try anymore because it's gotten to the point that new doesn't sound new, just redone. In terms of Harry P, everyone around me, friends/family/co-workers got into it at the time and it wasn't until around the 3rd or 4th movie that I finally began watching them and got hooked but I never read the books. I was pretty much done with books by that time.

I still keep up with the stuff. Tech is my hobby after all, so I am generally at least aware of the latest gadgets and computer hardware and sometimes even apps, but that doesn't mean I don't think they are dumb, or that I actually use any of them.

I don't know what it was, but tech definitely peaked in 2007. At that point the financial crisis was at risk of killing Google, so they dropped their "don't be evil" mantra and just went all in an evil instead, collecting and selling data like it was going out of style, and once they did, everyone else followed.

That and the launch of the first iPhone in 2007 ushered in the stupid mobile era, where everything winds up being designed for mobile phones first, meaning I frequently have to use poorly design mobile web pages with huge areas of dead space and huge buttons for fat fingered touch screen use on my desktop, which drives me up a wall.

2007 was the inflection point where new tech started getting dumb (while simultaneously being called smart), and the industry has just continually doubled down on the dumb at every turn since. :p

I'll certainly keep upgrading my desktop with the most powerful components, but that doesn't mean I want anything to do with other modern tech. I used to always say "I want my phone to be more like my PC, not my PC to be more like my phone", but as this transition has been accelerated I may have to clarify. "I want my phone to be more like my PC was in 2010, or is today under linux, not my PC to be even more like my phone".

As far as Harry Potter goes, I think I partially viewed one of the films on a plane once or something, but I couldn't get into it. I'm generally not inclined to getting into fantasy genre stuff. It requires too much of a suspense of disbelief for me. I like science fiction where the "magical" things are explained by technology, but as soon as you throw in orcs and warlocks and monsters I tend to start rolling my eyes.

I'm actually surprised I ever liked Star Wars. The Whole "force" thing would normally be too magical and a turnoff for me, but I guess I did start watching it when I was rather young, so there is that. I was alwas more of a Star Trek guy. Never could get into the original series (but the TOS movies were enjoyable) but TNG was really my jam growing up. it felt like a somewhat realistic (if somewhat optimistic) depiction of what humanity in space could actually be like, and I liked that.

Last edited:
I still keep up with the stuff. Tech is my hobby after all, so I am generally at least aware of the latest gadgets and computer hardware and sometimes even apps, but that doesn't mean I don't think they are dumb, or that I actually use any of them.
I stopped counting iphones at 4 or 5. And didn't even bother with ipad. I don't really follow tech outside of PC and what I actually want to buy anymore.
I don't know what it was, but tech definitely peaked in 2007. At that point the financial crisis was at risk of killing Google, so they dropped their "don't be evil" mantra and just went all in an evil instead, collecting and selling data like it was going out of style, and once they did, everyone else followed.
I somehow slept through that bit, the financial crash was barely a breeze here, didn't affect me at all (unlike the current inflation).
In 2007 I still used opera as my browser and probably altavista as my primary search engine. That decade for me was full of all-nighters, if not at work then out partying, that's all I remember. For me PC tech peaked around 2015, that's when I stopped caring about having the best and latest HW. And that's when it started to matter less as well. It became a sport for the rich, rather than a nerd thing to have a fast PC.
2007 was the inflection point where new tech started getting dumb (while simultaneously being called smart), and the industry has just continually doubled down on the dumb at every turn since. :p
It's the effect of going mainstream, whenever something goes mainstream it becomes dumber. Not just tech, but movies and TV as well as games. My first smartphone was a Sony W950, it was impractical, but I could play Legend of Kyrandia, The Dig, Full Throttle on it with ScummVM. My mind was blown that my favorite games from a decade earlier were now playable on a tiny handheld device.

w950_front_atangle_d.jpg

I'll certainly keep upgrading my desktop with the most powerful components, but that doesn't mean I want anything to do with other modern tech. I used to always say "I want my phone to be more like my PC, not my PC to be more like my phone", but as this transition has been accelerated I may have to clarify. "I want my phone to be more like my PC was in 2010, or is today under linux, not my PC to be even more like my phone".
I'd settle for my computer remaining MY computer. But we lost that already with Windows 10. This is the first OS where I feel I'm not in full control, and at the mercy of the whims of MS. I never liked Linux tho, so I don't think any year will be the year of linux on desktop.
As far as Harry Potter goes, I think I partially viewed one of the films on a plane once or something, but I couldn't get into it. I'm generally not inclined to getting into fantasy genre stuff. It requires too much of a suspense of disbelief for me. I like science fiction where the "magical" things are explained by technology, but as soon as you throw in orcs and warlocks and monsters I tend to start rolling my eyes.
Don't get me wrong, even now after playing the game I don't want to get into the other stuff. The game is a prequel set hundred years earlier, it stands completely on its own, it just happens to be in the same fictional universe. I don't mind fantasy as long as it has clear rules it is no different from sci-fi. And Hogwarts Legacy has pretty straightforward rules. If you replaced magic wand with a scifi gadget, it would still work all the same.
I'm actually surprised I ever liked Star Wars. The Whole "force" thing would normally be too magical and a turnoff for me, but I guess I did start watching it when I was rather young, so there is that.
I never liked Star Wars for the story. Well, I didn't even fully get the story when I first saw the movies out of order mind you. No, my love for Star Wars was purely for the visuals, the production quality, the music, and the extended universe based on videogames mostly. I craved for a star wars themed RPG since forever, in fact I still do. Yes there was Kotor, but I always found that clunky. And being set thousands of years earlier it never felt fully Star Wars to me, just one more scifi game.
I was alwas more of a Star Trek guy. Never could get into the original series (but the TOS movies were enjoyable) but TNG was really my jam growing up. it felt like a somewhat realistic (if somewhat optimistic) depiction of what humanity in space could actually be like, and I liked that.
I had grown up on the TOS movies, and loved them all even ones that everybody hated. Yeah, The Motion Picture, Voyage Home, Final Frontier, were all my favorites. In fact I was such a staunch traditionalist that I refused to watch TNG. To me the original crew was irreplaceable. I watched Voyager as it didn't feel like I'm cheating on the original crew with it. And only after that in 2004 did I start watching TNG. It had it's ups and downs, and the movies definitely count among its downs. Nemesis was a travesty and a precursor to what happens to Star Trek if Patrick Stewart gets a license for creative input, yes I mean Picard S1 and S2. It seems his license was revoked for S3 as it actually started decently, not great but better than anything since Enterprise.

Become a Patron!
Back