Disney+ Cancels Willow After One Season

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Critics of Disney+ have argued that the service is full of garbage that nobody wants to watch, but the streamer's latest moves certainly aren't helping. As reported by Deadline, Disney has decided to cancel Willow, its live-action series based on the 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard of the same name, after a single season on Disney+. No reason was given for the cancellation, but the publication pointed out that media companies have been facing scrutiny for curbing streaming content spending in search of profitability as of late, which may be why Willow fans won't be getting a second season. Starring Warwick Davis as the titular and legendary sorcerer, all eight episodes of Willow are available to stream now on Disney+.

See full article...

We watch a handful of things on it. Not as much as we used to but it still gets regular use. My only complaint is that I could care less about the ESPN part of the bundle we have. Seriously useless or us. Hulu isn't great but does get some use and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dropped depending on who takes over in the coming year. If that happens, all but guaranteed we'll drop the bundle.

In regard to this show, well, I want to be nice and I feel sorry for the cast, but neither of us really enjoyed it. It had some moments but mostly seemed like it was in a constant state of an identity crisis. I really wanted to like this but it became torture to watch. There were some highs but far, far, more lows.

We'll see if Disney doesn't put out a formal statement regarding this because I read over the weekend a post on social media from one of the showrunners who said that they have not told him the show was cancelled, yet. They did say say that production for the next season has been delayed and cast were either let go due to not being in a current contract, or to prevent them from missing out on other opportunities while waiting for a potential second season to go into production. It still doesn't sound good but according to them the show hasn't been canceled yet.

I've enjoyed having it.
We watch it a ton. We have to have 1000+ hours watched on it, but I don’t think that gets tracked anywhere visible to the end user. Would easily be worth double the price.

Become a Patron!
Back