MSI Is Warning Its Customers Not to Download Firmware/BIOS Updates from Unofficial Sites Following a Cyberattack on Its Information Systems

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
MSI is warning its customers to only download firmware/BIOS updates from its official website following the detection of recent network anomalies. The PC hardware manufacturer did not disclose exactly what has transpired but did say that its teams acted promptly once the unusual activity was discovered and notified the appropriate government and law enforcement agencies along with Cybersecurity agencies.

It's possible that bad actors are out to find more files to compromise users' systems with following the spoofed versions of MSI's popular overclocking software, MSI Afterburner which were discovered to contain mining malware back in November 2022.

See full article...

From the land of No **** Sherlock comes advice from MSI....

I'm sorry who does this? Do people REALLY just search MSI Firmware update for blah blah motherboard and just click the first non sponsored link? Is that REALLY what happens? Or worse yet seeing some funky link on a tech forum for a beta firmware that they have no capacity to validate?!

You know what... they deserve it and can chalk it up to a learning experience. I swear in this day and age not being careful should be a reason NOT to hire someone.

I'm sorry who does this? Do people REALLY just search MSI Firmware update for blah blah motherboard and just click the first non sponsored link? Is that REALLY what happens? Or worse yet seeing some funky link on a tech forum for a beta firmware that they have no capacity to validate?!
I was gonna say the same thing. Who in the f*ck goes to get a UEFI/BIOS update from a non-official source or website? Like, do people actually do that?! I can't wrap my head around it. Why would you get MSI firmware from any place other than MSI's official website? People can not possible be that f*cking retarded. Do they really trust firmware from random-@ss sources they found from Google searching or whatever? That's insanity.

I was gonna say the same thing. Who in the f*ck goes to get a UEFI/BIOS update from a non-official source or website? Like, do people actually do that?! I can't wrap my head around it. Why would you get MSI firmware from any place other than MSI's official website? People can not possible be that f*cking retarded. Do they really trust firmware from random-@ss sources they found from Google searching or whatever? That's insanity.
While I do agree, but afaik there are some users of older hardware that get modified unofficial BIOS' to get functionality they would not otherwise get so there is that. I would not get involved with that but I can unerstand people that do.

While I do agree, but afaik there are some users of older hardware that get modified unofficial BIOS' to get functionality they would not otherwise get so there is that. I would not get involved with that but I can unerstand people that do.
Yes but these getting modified firmware like that are generally MORE seelctive about the source.

Become a Patron!
Back