PC System Requirements for The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Recommends 32 GB of Memory to Play the Game at Its Highest Settings in 1440p

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The PC system requirements for The Lord of the Rings Gollum have been revealed (via Steam) showing that the upcoming game has a voracious appetite for memory. Those wanting to experience the game using the highest presets at 1440p are recommended to have no less than 32 GB of system memory. One might wonder how a game that also lists an install size of only 45 GB would need so much ram and folks are already posting in forums this could signal yet another unoptimized release for PC but perhaps the game will prove itself.

In order to use ray tracing users are advised to have at least a GeForce RTX 3080 while using the DLSS quality setting. Next of course is the aforementioned system RAM recommendation of 32 GB. Processor-wise the game doesn't seem to need much. There's been no mention if the game's developers will be supporting any direct memory transfer technology such as NVIDIA's Resizable Bar or AMD's Smart Access Memory but considering these RAM/GPU recommendations, perhaps they should.

See full article...

That might be for more flexible or smarter ai in the game .. that's all I can think of that would want that kind of ram use.

I was thinking that with a 45 GB install size using 24-30 GB (basically trying to account for OS/other background apps) to just put all the assets in system mem so the GPU could pull from there might be a thing but that's still kind of weird.

I keep hearing more and more complaints of performance problems in systems with 16GB of system ram across several games. Even if it was a bug with 4k textures being loaded in for lower res, the Diablo4 beta using up 22GB of system ram was an eye opener. At medium it was using 7.5GB of ram.

It was only a matter of time when 32GB of memory replaced 16GB to be the sweet spot (or minimum) for gaming.

I've been running 32 GB for so long that I've kind of taken it for granted. I think maybe 10+ years now but that was also because it hasn't been a hit on the wallet to do so. The biggest trick has been being able to afford the fastest that each platform is spec'd for. It's been fairly common for me to build with one set and then upgrade a year or two down the road after prices drop. Sounds like I should be considering 64 GB for the next build. I like to be ahead of the game when I can.

I've been running 32 GB for so long that I've kind of taken it for granted. I think maybe 10+ years now but that was also because it hasn't been a hit on the wallet to do so. The biggest trick has been being able to afford the fastest that each platform is spec'd for. It's been fairly common for me to build with one set and then upgrade a year or two down the road after prices drop. Sounds like I should be considering 64 GB for the next build. I like to be ahead of the game when I can.
I've been looking at 64GB kits as well for my current build, but honestly haven't seen a slow down in anything I do nor have I seen my PC being anywhere near the worrisome area for memory usage, but as you said I like to stay ahead of things if I can.

Last edited:
I've been running 32 GB for so long that I've kind of taken it for granted.
When I built my current system in Fall 2014, X99 and DDR4 were brand-new to the market. DDR4 was expensive as f*ck, so I only grabbed a 16GB quad-channel kit. In fact, DDR4 was hard to find, and the RAM I bought was back-ordered, and that delayed my build by a month. Been stuck with that since. 16GB hasn't been a problem until recently. I had planned to move to 32GB when I built my next system, but it's taken so long to do that that I will probably go 64GB next time. I run into a lot of situations now where I've come close to using all 16GB of RAM. From programs like Photoshop to games like RDR2. As I've continued to build systems for other people, it was around 2018 when I said I would no longer build systems with less than 32GB of RAM. So all the systems I've built since have had at least that much.

I like to be ahead of the game when I can.
Yeah that's the smart way to roll.

DDR4 was hard to find
Yep. I remember those days and it was another reason I didn't upgrade to a DDR4 platform until I did my 3700X build. I'm feeling the same way about DDR5. Some prices are dropping but it's still maturing as well so still a bit early to plan a build with for me.

I just read an article about one other game - can't recall the title to save my life, but it had a "Recommended 32G RAM" requirement as well.

But they stated that particular game would run just fine on as low as 8G of RAM - most of the 32G was for caching, so it could load faster with fewer loading screens / zone time.

I just read an article about one other game - can't recall the title to save my life, but it had a "Recommended 32G RAM" requirement as well.
I can't remember it either but I think it was about a month or so ago. Last of Us? I think there was another besides that one also.

Become a Patron!
Back