Sonic Frontiers Becomes Most Successful 3D Sonic Game Ever, with 3.5 Million Copies Sold

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sega has announced that Sonic Frontiers has managed to sell 3.5 million copies since the open-world (or, perhaps more accurately, "open zone") game launched on November 8, 2022. The new milestone seemingly cements Sonic Frontiers as Sega's most successful and best-selling 3D Sonic game ever, beating out the previous record holder, Sonic Heroes, which debuted in 2003 for PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and PC and wound up selling around 3.41 million copies, according to figures found in a Sega Sammy presentation from 2007. Sonic Frontiers received a major update in March called the Sights, Sounds, and Speed Update that probably contributed to the game's continuing success, featuring new challenge modes, a photo mode, and even a jukebox mode that allows players to revisit classic Sonic soundtracks.

See full article...

I can't believe Sonic Heroes was the previous record-holder for best-selling 3D Sonic game. That was the game that started sending the 3D Sonic games downhill. Obviously the most notorious example of a terrible 3D Sonic game is Sonic 2006, and Sonic Boom is up there too. But most of the Sonic games after Sonic Heroes were much better than it, even if they weren't exactly good themselves. Sonic Unleashed's day-time stages were awesome. Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations were decent games. Sonic Forces was a sh1t game (and is also like 3 hours long). The bar is set pretty low, but if Sonic Frontiers is doing well, then perhaps they finally broke the curse of sh1tty-@ss 3D Sonic games. I dunno, I have yet to play it. I've played all the other 3D Sonic games though except Sonic Boom, and I've beaten all of them except Boom, 2006, and Heroes. No I'm not counting any of the garbage ones on Wii, like Sonic and the Secret Rings, or Sonic and the Black Knight. I've also never played Shadow's game.

Do I lose my membership card if I admit I've never played a Sonic main line game?

Sonic All-Stars Racing is the only sonic anything I've ever played.

I forgot to mention Sonic Lost World. That one was barely okay.

Do I lose my membership card if I admit I've never played a Sonic main line game?
Honestly you're not missing anything if you haven't played any of the 3D Sonic games. Sonic's best games are on Genesis, GBA (Sonic Advance 1 and 2, but not 3), and also 2017's Sonic Mania wasn't bad (some good levels, some bad ones, and all the boss fights sucked).

Sonic All-Stars Racing is the only sonic anything I've ever played.
Oh wow. I thought you just meant the 3D Sonic games.

I couldn't get into any of Sonic's racing games, whether they were on-foot racing (like Sonic R and Sonic Rivals 1 and 2), or in vehicles (like Sonic Drift 1 and 2, and the two All-Stars Racing games).

Never have played a 'real' sonic game through. I've played parts of a level here or there but otherwise... Nope.

I've honestly never played any of them. I don't have anything against it, just never got around to it.

I've honestly never played any of them. I don't have anything against it, just never got around to it.

I played some sonic games on the master system, fun enough, but nothing too special, psycho fox in the genre was more fun even if the graphics were mediocre.

I played some sonic games on the master system, fun enough, but nothing too special, psycho fox in the genre was more fun even if the graphics were mediocre.
The Master System games were similar to the Game Gear games, and definitely not very representative of the Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games. Like you said, fun enough, but nothing special, and honestly I don't care for most of 'em. Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble were the best of the bunch. But they don't come anywhere close to those Genesis games (and the Sega CD one, which I also forgot to mention earlier).

Become a Patron!
Back