ASUS Is under Fire as Hardware Testers Target the Manufacturer Over Its Handling of CPU Voltage Settings and Lack of User Support

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
ASUS is under fire following multiple postings by hardware testers regarding its handling of the recent reports about AMD 7000-series processors and motherboards self-destructing. Reports about AMD 7000X3D-series processors burning up in motherboards from various manufacturers, including ASUS, began surfacing about a month ago. Not long after hardware testers from around the globe began their own investigations into the matter which resulted in a common conclusion involving voltages reaching beyond recommended specs for the 3D-cache processors. In at least one instance it was also discovered by Der8auer that non-X3D 7000-series processors could also be affected.

Now following all of these reports and investigations both AMD and manufacturers have been rolling out new BIOS and firmware to address the issue but one in particular is still getting negative attention. Both Gamers Nexus and JayzTwoCents have come out swinging at the manufacturer and the ladder has even "fired" it as a sponsor. Now while some folks may not wish to view the posts from either it should be noted that each has millions, yes millions, of subscribed viewers, and at some point that will affect sales. Meanwhile, as if this all isn't enough bad press for the company, KitGuru has published a story of its own claiming it has over 30 emails from a UK ASUS PR representative stating that it believes buying positive reviews is legal and it too has said that it has millions of monthly subscribers so the audience seeing all of this only continues to grow.

See full article...

And the hits keep coming. For some reason, I'm not that shocked that a PR rep would say buying positive reviews is legal.

I went MSI on my 12th gen mobo due to ASUS upping the price of the hero mobo by 200€ or thereabouts (and also all the others went up a decent amount too)

Not sticking up for any manufacturer here (especially just because I have Asus products in my current build), but they've all been guilty at one time or another of some hefty issues/practices. The society we live in currently just likes to pile on the negativity it seems. Youtubers especially just pile it on for the likes and views (Jay especially). This will all blow over at some point like the other issues did with the other manufacturers.
For instance MSI bullying that laptop reviewer to take/change his review of their laptop, and the fiasco where they were price gouging their own video cards. Gigabyte had exploding power supplies, and Asrock blacklisted anyone who didn't like their products. All these problems were within the past 2-3 years and not too many people probably remember them now. Certainly Asus wouldn't be at the top of my list right now for a new AMD build, but in the end most of us aren't stuck to one manufacturer anyway.

What i still remember is msi chanting the terms of their warranty coversge post sale of video cards in the Nvidia 3000 series.

More curious as to what made them screw up though. Thinking about company culture and what not.

I agree with @Niner51 in that all have been guilty of something at one point. It happens and I can forgive it from time to time. I do think, however, someone needs to check in with their motherboard division because out of all the products they make it's the one that's consistently getting in the news, and not just with this gen. In reading threads on Reddit it turns out there's a history with voltage related issues going back a ways.

I too have had great experiences with them. I had 3 gens of Strix OC graphics cards, 1080 Ti>2080 Ti>3090, all of which performed superbly without issue. I also still have 2x 27" 3D monitors that rocked for their time, 120 Hz 1080p and 144 Hz 1440p. I also think they need to check in with their UK PR people because this is no time to have anyone adding fuel to the fire.

More curious as to what made them screw up though. Thinking about company culture and what not.
I quit using Asus for a while years ago as I thought they were expanding to quickly into other hardware other than their bread and butter (motherboards and video cards). I assumed that they were spreading themselves too thin and then the main hardware would suffer quality issues. Then I decided to give them a try here again recently and I'm happy with the motherboard and video card I currently have, but it makes me think with this latest AMD issue and that backwards capacitor issue on the Z690 Hero boards that maybe I was right years ago. Their customer service has definitely gone down hill which is possibly a product of their "biting off more than they can chew".

Their customer service has definitely gone down hill
I've been using ASUS since the late 90s (my first ASUS board was for Athlon Tbird), and their customer service was ALWAYS some real garbage, but this current situation is probably the absolute worst it's ever been. There used to be a saying with ASUS hardware, that if you get one of their products and it works, then good for you, it will most likely be an excellent product, but pray you will NEVER have a problem with that hardware or get a defective product, cuz then you will have to deal with their customer service, and you will be F*CKED.

I count myself lucky that I've never had to go that route because I read more than a few stories about bad experiences.
I honestly have never had to RMA anything over the 25 years I've been building PC's and I am fortunate on that. Anything that I've returned has been within the return policy of the store I purchased it from. I have read and heard stories of RMA disasters from just about every manufacturer out there.

I honestly have never had to RMA anything over the 25 years I've been building PC's and I am fortunate on that. Anything that I've returned has been within the return policy of the store I purchased it from. I have read and heard stories of RMA disasters from just about every manufacturer out there.
I can only remember one defective-based RMA that I had to do at work and it was actually last year at my job. In over a decade of having ordered literally hundreds of IT-related items ranging from components, workstations, labtops, tablets, phones, and more, just one. It was a new HP laptop that came with a defective screen. The lights burned out about a week after we got it. It was a complicated process between HP and Amazon but we ended up getting a refund and then ordered a replacement that's been fine since.

Beyond that I almost RMA'd my MSI Titan GT80 2QE. I ordered it from Exotic PC and had nothing but problems in that process after receiving it after they'd sent the wrong model the 1st time. It was complicated but after a point in working with them, I troubleshooted what was wrong with it on my own and was able to fix it all (failed Kingston SSDs and then a weird power issue requiring me to take it apart and disconnect the battery) but that was really frustrating. I'll mark it up to bad luck because I've ordered other items through the years and had good experiences. Lol! I just remembered the only other bad experience I had with them and it wasn't their fault, it was ASUS so we're back on topic. I had pre-ordered a laptop during the pandemic, about 6 months in advance, and by the time it got to the release date, ASUS canceled that model. They worked with me and even provided a discount/credit for the hassle and I ended up getting the MSI GP66 Leopard w/ the RTX 3070 and i7 11800H which has been pretty solid other than the loud fans.

I've had one bad video card, maybe 2 bad motherboards, and a handful of bad DIMMS (mostly the earlier days of DDR) but all of those were within the return window, so easy to do.

For RMAs - a handful of hard drives (WD - easy to accomplish), one set of Kingston RAM (easy to accomplish), two Macbooks (I almost want Apple stuff to break just so I can use their support, it's that nice) and one ASUS motherboard (WTF useless and painful).

Only thing I've had to return was ram when I bought off brand ram once for a system I was building from Fry's. Returned it the next day and moved on never to use that brand again. I hate that when I am building a system if you don't watch the required voltages on Ram you'll not work with some of the off brand ram that is 'high performance'. Meaning to me... 'pos that only works with non standard power.'.

I hate that when I am building a system if you don't watch the required voltages on Ram you'll not work with some of the off brand ram that is 'high performance'. Meaning to me... 'pos that only works with non standard power.'.
That's why I've used the exact same RAM in all three of my builds. It just works. I thought about tinkering with faster but these days that extra 1-2 FPS isn't worth any hassle when I know what I'm already using is turnkey.

That's why I've used the exact same RAM in all three of my builds. It just works. I thought about tinkering with faster but these days that extra 1-2 FPS isn't worth any hassle when I know what I'm already using is turnkey.
I agree with you there. I used to use only Kingston ram for years because it never gave me any issues, but then I started using Corsair for the same reasons. I have used G Skill occasionally as well and they have been very good.

Become a Patron!
Back