PlayStation CEO Defends Staggered Release of PC Ports: “Gamers Have Told Me Two or Three Years after the Release of the PS Version Is Acceptable”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
PlayStation will be sticking to its current strategy of releasing PC ports of PS5 games years after their release on console, and according to PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan, gamers are partially to blame for this decision. "I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them how they feel about the time lag, they often say they feel the release of a PC version two or three years after the release of the PlayStation version is acceptable," the executive told Famitsu in a recent interview that touched upon all manners of topics relating to the PS5, including the supply chain, Japanese market, and upcoming releases, such as Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (2023). The Last of Us Part I, the most recent PlayStation exclusive that made it to PC, continues to be criticized for what some say is stuttering and other sorts of poor performance.

See full article...

Sony wants to pump that cash pedal as they need to not when gamers want the title. That's ALL there is to this one. Because backwards compatibility is so unviersally baked in to PC gaming, they have no worry about gamers not being able to play their games once they port to PC.

Maybe Intel's new 64 bit chip coming will change that?

LOL, Nobody asked me, to sign that we want to wait 10 years for some crappy port like TLOU.

No, what I've said is that I'd rather wait years than to play games with a banana shaped good for nothing uncontroller.

Yeah, it's b.s. I think this has far more to do with the Microsoft/Activision deal than anything else. I honestly think that if that wasn't happening we'd probably be seeing yearly releases instead of hearing this crap.

Meanwhile, I wonder how Sony's bazillion movie game adaptations are coming along? If enough of those flop the desperation to cover losses may cause a change of heart. On the other hand it they succeed well enough the delays could become even longer.

Become a Patron!
Back