Intel Proposes 64-Bit Mode-Only “x86S” Architecture as Leaked Roadmap Shows Cancellation of 6P+8E Meteor Lake-S Desktop CPUs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel is mulling the development of a new 64-bit mode-only architecture called x86S, according to a white paper that the company has published online to solicit feedback for the project and outline its benefits, which aim to reduce "the overall complexity of the software and hardware architecture." A roadmap that surfaced online today would also suggest that Intel has canceled its 6P+8E Meteor Lake-S desktop CPUs, although the person who leaked it, @OneRaichu, has claimed that this family has been canceled entirely, with Arrow Lake-S CPUs being their replacement. Arrow Lake-S CPUs aren't expected to release in 2024 and will reportedly max out at only 14 cores and 20 threads, substantially less than what the current Raptor Lake-S family has to offer.

See full article...

What code is still x32? Guessing legacy business applications?

What home code is still x32?

How well will the virtualization work, speed and lack of bugginess wise.

A significant number of games will never be 64 bit, and alot of people still like to play those.
However, it sounds like an alternate mode of 32-bit support would still be available.

I don't think you would be virtualizing - more like emulating x32.

Which, again, for older stuff would probably be fine. Probably.

Yes x86 is due for progress. As long as they arent adding Intel shenanigans then cool. But watch out that S could very well be for Shens.

@Uvilla I do agree here. This would allow some additional simplicity and reduced complexity which will get good for the old x86.

Oh I'm thinking the S is for subscription... Oh you want Ai acceleration enabled.. subscribe, Oh you want native codec processing... Subscribe... and so on and so on...

Become a Patron!
Back