CableMod Issues a Statement regarding Its Melted 12VHPWR Angled Adapters and Is Reimbursing Affected Users Whose RMA Requests Were Denied

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
CableMod has been having to deal with its share of brush fires following reports of its 12VHPWR adapters melting and has issued a statement regarding it. The premium custom cable and adapter company is standing behind its products and is offering to reimburse customers whose GPUs were damaged and then denied RMA request by the graphics card manufacturer. CableMod has said in its statement that it found in its investigations into the melted adapters the majority were due to them not being fully inserted but some were actually caused by manufacturing defects.

CableMod adds that it has sold tens of thousands of the adapters and it has had roughly twenty cases reported. It has also said that it is planning giveaways for cards that it has repaired and has already given away one on an NVIDIA subreddit page. Lastly, CableMod is covering shipping costs for cards that it has asked owners to send to repair shops, even if it has already been determined that improper insertion was the root cause.

See full article...

While I'm not a fan of their tendency to magically manifest in comment form at the slightest mention of their brand (across any and all social media), this is how you treat your customers. Kudos.

Full disclosure, I own one of their cables. I just wanted to be able to close my **** case side panel and it did the trick.

Just a heads up that reports of this happening are stacking up on Reddit. It's estimated to be around 30-40 at this point and someone said that the increased reports only add 0.01 percent on top of the previous ones still making them well under acceptable levels. I doubt those with fried cards feel the same. I have noticed the melting points are often similar to the reports of when all this started happening back when the RTX 4090s came out which used manufacturer cables/adapters.

Side note: Most are probably aware that a user reported their BeQuiet cable melted at the PSU last week. This is a 1st. However, Igor's Lab did its own testing to try and replicate it and determined, like so many other hardware testing review sites, that improper plugging, or poor contact, of the cable adapter, is likely the cause.

From Igor's Lab:

"A less than ideal contact of the 12VHPWR connector on the load side (graphics card) can significantly increase its operating temperature, causing it to melt if too high loads are applied, especially at high ambient temperatures. However, a less than ideal contact of the 12VHPWR connector on the load side cannot affect the connector on the power supply side if it is properly connected!"

Side note: Most are probably aware that a user reported their BeQuiet cable melted at the PSU last week. This is a 1st. However, Igor's Lab did its own testing to try and replicate it and determined, like so many other hardware testing review sites, that improper plugging, or poor contact, of the cable adapter, is likely the cause.
This has been 99% of the problem and it always goes back to this being user error. Again not the best design, but I and many others that take our time plugging in the power connector to our expensive video cards don't have an issue.

This has been 99% of the problem and it always goes back to this being user error. Again not the best design, but I and many others that take our time plugging in the power connector to our expensive video cards don't have an issue.
I agree. All three of my rigs are using OC'd cards (for the 3090 TI s they are usually clocking 2085 (air) and 2160 (AIO) and then 4090 2985+ (AIO)) that will pull 320-420 W during 5-8 hr gaming sessions. I've now confirmed this with Metro Exodus, Resident Evil Village/2/ and Biohazard, Witcher 3 Enhanced, Dead Space Remake, and now Hogwarts Legacy. I've done experiments withs DLSS on/off which can significantly affect power draw at 4K. I mostly game at 4K (60-120 Hz) and 5120x1440 (100 Hz).

Very rarely I've seen the 4090 pull upwards of 520+ but that was due to some excessive VRAM overclocking testing and it's extremely rare to see. Meanwhile, I'm now approaching over 1+ year with the 3090 Ti s in two rigs. I'm constantly on the alert with these, which is unfortunate, but so far so good.

I also agree that it's not the best design. Igor, and others, have said that PCI SIG is working on a new recommendation, and update for this standard regarding proper use (it's mentioned at the end of the article I linked to for Igor) but they cannot reveal more until it's officially announced. I'm happy with one connector but it would've been nice if it was beefier and had less to think about in using.

Become a Patron!
Back