ASUS Tops CableMod’s List of 12VHPWR Adapter Damage Reports for GeForce RTX 4090

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Igor Wallossek has reached out to CableMod to get a better idea of how many GeForce RTX 4090 users are, as many have insisted, plugging their hardware in wrong. CableMod has apparently received only 31 reports of 12VHPWR adapters being damaged in total, although ASUS sits at the top of the list, with 18 damages, followed by GIGABYTE and MSI, both of which are listed with 5 reports. Wallossek seems to think that there could be something up with the connector on ASUS' boards.

See full article...

Well, this somewhat aligns with the user posts on Cablemod's subreddit page that I saw over the weekend. A number of people said it seemed like there were more reports of ASUS cards but I also remember someone saying that ASUS cards tended to have a higher voltage as well. I cannot confirm any of this beyond that is what I read there.

At least those are "easily" fixable, it seems gigabyte cards 3000 and 4000 series are prone to cracking near the pci-e slot and are somehwat harder to fix and gigabyte does not seem to be wanting to RMA them cuz physical damage is user error.

Well, this somewhat aligns with the user posts on Cablemod's subreddit page that I saw over the weekend. A number of people said it seemed like there were more reports of ASUS cards but I also remember someone saying that ASUS cards tended to have a higher voltage as well. I cannot confirm any of this beyond that is what I read there.
I have the right angle adapter for my 4090 Strix card and the fitment is awful. I tried it and said nope, and went with my stock power cable from my PSU. I watched the power draw on my card through GPU-Z and seen little to no difference over my previous Gigabyte 4090 to my Strix card.

I have the right angle adapter for my 4090 Strix card and the fitment is awful. I tried it and said nope, and went with my stock power cable from my PSU. I watched the power draw on my card through GPU-Z and seen little to no difference over my previous Gigabyte 4090 to my Strix card.
From what I've seen a lot of the reports seem to involve the TUFF line. I'm not sure if both use the same PCB or not but I know from the past when I used to buy Strix cards that they use a custom PCB. It was one of the reasons I used to buy them. Doing another story right now about another update from Cablemod.

At least those are "easily" fixable, it seems gigabyte cards 3000 and 4000 series are prone to cracking near the pci-e slot and are somehwat harder to fix and gigabyte does not seem to be wanting to RMA them cuz physical damage is user error.
Yeah, this is one of the stranger things happening and I don't really know what to say yet.

I'm glad I sold my Gigabyte 4090 card off a while ago then after reading the stories about these cards. I understand mistakes can be made, but to not stand behind your products when those mistakes arise is a total crappy move.

Become a Patron!
Back