Activision Will Lose Early Access to PlayStation 6 Details If Microsoft Deal Goes Through

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Axios' Stephen Totilo has shared a "highly confidential" transcript with comments from PlayStation boss Jim Ryan that suggests Activision won't be getting any early, exclusive details regarding the PS6 in the event that Microsoft's planned acquisition of Activision Blizzard, worth $69 billion, goes through. Ryan is asked as to why Sony would do this, to which the executive explained that it would be too risky to give such confidential information to a direct competitor, seemingly confirming its future plans. The inquirer then brings up the curious fact that Sony is already working with a Microsoft-owned developer—Minecraft's Mojang—but Ryan didn't seem to have much to say about that aside from it being a "concern" for Sony.

See full article...

I like to call this self fulfilling prophecy.

Sony first.

"Don't allow this or we won't get the shooter game and loose console sales as people move over to Xbox only where the game will be made."

Microsoft

"Oh we won't do that we'll even sign a promise to continue making MW games for Sonly console for the next 5 years."

Sony

"Oh that's great... but how the EFF you gonna do that when we won't give you developer consoles huh?!"

MS to court.

"We cant control this."

Court

"Well I guess you're off the hook for making MW games for sony consoles then."

Sony

"YEa see... no WAIT!!!"

Of course sony wouldn't. They can't. I mean unless they already ship /share details of their early hardware with ms for reasons. Though in reality Sony, AMD, Nvidia, Intel, ARM, Seagate, Micron, TSMC, WD, Texas Instruments, United Plastics, Industrial Molds, Power Supply companies, on and on probably uses MS cloud services, so MS knows the PS6 design before sony does anyway.

Of course sony wouldn't. They can't. I mean unless they already ship /share details of their early hardware with ms for reasons. Though in reality Sony, AMD, Nvidia, Intel, ARM, Seagate, Micron, TSMC, WD, Texas Instruments, United Plastics, Industrial Molds, Power Supply companies, on and on probably uses MS cloud services, so MS knows the PS6 design before sony does anyway.
There is at least the paper shield of an NDA in place - and those companies aren't directly owned by the competition.

Although the Mojang exception is ... somewhat hypocritical, I admit.

Microsoft sitting in their office "we don't plan to make new IPs through activision on the Playstation anyway."

it's not like they launch a lot of new IP's there anyways, but making a couple billion on COD games might make their gaming division finally a profit.

it's not like they launch a lot of new IP's there anyways, but making a couple billion on COD games might make their gaming division finally a profit.
True but it'll take a few years to pay off that $61B pricetag.

and so the pissing contest continues between them. Unfortunately, it's ultimately the consumers that are getting pissed on.

Become a Patron!
Back