James Gunn Calls Out “Really Lazy” Superhero Movies as Ticket Sales for The Flash Drop 73 Percent in Second Week

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn has expressed his concerns about the current state of superhero movies, calling some of them "really lazy" and "too generic" in a recent appearance on the Inside of You podcast with Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum. The statements come as ticket sales for The Flash, DC's new superhero film that couples the speedster with Michael Keaton's Batman and a new Supergirl played by Sasha Calle, dropped 73 percent in its second week in theaters.

See full article...

So this is Gunn saying. "See guys this isn't me... the NEXT superhero movie (that does well) from DC will be me."

He's clearly deflecting and probably was all along.

Would love to see the market turn around and all of a sudden the movie start doing well to see how he tries to pivot to show this was under his leadership.

Right now for DC they should be realizing Snyder was the way to have gone and be kicking themselves that they didn't go all in. Instead they shake up everything going with someone that was corporately successful and hope they can right this ship.

When what they should be doing is looking at what the DC animated teams are doing a freaking double downing with them to crank out more great content.

The genre has been exploited too intensively for too long. Thats the problem. Theres are retching sounds in my mind between super and hero and movie
It wouldn't be so bad if super hero movies didn't seem like the only thing that was out more than half the time. It's as if movie studios won't bother with much else and certainly won't green light anything that they don't think will make a billion dollars or more.

Just make good movies and they will be successful, simple as that. Blaming lockdowns, superhero fatigue, or the market, is all BS.

If the flash was good it wouldn't have dropped off a cliff because those who have seen it would be telling everyone else to go see it.

Just make good movies and they will be successful, simple as that. Blaming lockdowns, superhero fatigue, or the market, is all BS.

If the flash was good it wouldn't have dropped off a cliff because those who have seen it would be telling everyone else to go see it.
This 100% THIS. I'm no longer of a mind to see a super hero movie just because. I did that at first because I wanted more, then they made some really good ones that shocked everyone. Now they can't stop churning them out but the quality has slipped OR they are targeting more and more niche markets with them to be inclusive and pull in a wider breadth of viewers. (Which I am all for not every movie has to be made for me to love it.)

Case in Point the Ms Marvel series... was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the Capitan Marvel movie when it came out and now I'm kinda looking forward to the next one. Humanizing the titular uber hero should be fun.

Superman needs his kryptonite to have an enjoyable movie. If the superhero is just flawless and nothing can hurt him there goes the suspense. Nowadays even non-superhero movies are made like this, the hero never gets hurt, or just shrugs it off. The action looses its stakes if you know they can survive anything and defeat anything.

Superman needs his kryptonite to have an enjoyable movie. If the superhero is just flawless and nothing can hurt him there goes the suspense. Nowadays even non-superhero movies are made like this, the hero never gets hurt, or just shrugs it off. The action looses its stakes if you know they can survive anything and defeat anything.
I think you are referencing a particular movie where a hero hides behind a LADDER from a machine gun firing into the room they are in. A OPEN LADDER. It was like the air gaps were also bullet proof let alone a aluminum ladder.

A talented enough team could make a good movie based on just about anything, but the Flash has never seemed like a particularly interesting character to me — more like a supporting/side hero at best. And I don't know that the actor chosen for the lead role is doing the movie any favors.

As far as superhero movies are concerned, I would be more interested to watch a movie based on the Green Arrow. The Green Arrow is from DC comics, and the TV series Arrow was successful. Although I've never read the comic books, there are some parallels with Batman. The fact that they're both mortals with exceptional (but not supernatural) abilities and can in theory be killed is one of the things that make them more interesting to me.

I'm still not going to buy a ticket and go to a theater to watch any movie. It's probably been more than five years since I've gone to a movie theater.
I think you are referencing a particular movie where a hero hides behind a LADDER from a machine gun firing into the room they are in. A OPEN LADDER. It was like the air gaps were also bullet proof let alone a aluminum ladder.
What movie was that? Why didn't the hero just outrun the bullets as they do in most action movies?

He's (Gunn) not wrong but at this point I'm even burned out on them and I used to really look forward to them but not anymore. At this point I do want more sci-fi/fantasy but original IPs instead of rehashed crap and reboots. The only exceptions are GrimJack or an AvP Space marine based on Darkhorse stuff, or maybe get Urban back for another Dredd movie. There are comic book options and they don't have to be super hero's.

A talented enough team could make a good movie based on just about anything, but the Flash has never seemed like a particularly interesting character to me — more like a supporting/side hero at best. And I don't know that the actor chosen for the lead role is doing the movie any favors.
Ever since Ezra Miller was revealed as a total psycho I can't watch any movie with the Flash, I wouldn't see the character, just the douche playing it.

Right. Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper should have had that role.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA did he really?!
It was David Zaslav. I swear I saw James Gunn quoted as saying the same thing somewhere...

The Flash has been the talk of the convention, and earlier in the day, Warners made the film the closer of its presentation, with Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav saying of the feature: “It’s the best superhero movie I’ve ever seen.” (The executive has watched it three times.)

I agree. It would seem that super hero movies are the safe way to go in the industry due to their almost guarantee they'll do well at the box office so they seem more saturated in the market. I'm not blaming the pandemic, but there has been a slow down on anything other than super hero movies since the lock down from what I've observed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA did he really?!
It was David Zaslav. I swear I saw James Gunn quoted as saying the same thing somewhere...

Here's a little more of that:

Become a Patron!
Back