Starfield Modder Promises NVIDIA DLSS 3 Support within Five-Day Early Access Period: “Don’t You Worry”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD proudly announced that it is Bethesda's exclusive PC partner for Starfield yesterday, and while that has driven many to speculate that the new game from Todd Howard will never, ever get NVIDIA DLSS, help appears to be on the way from the modding community. PureDark, the modder responsible for bringing DLSS 3 Frame Generation to Respawn's Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, has posted a message promising that they will deliver a DLSS 3 mod for Starfield, and not only that, players will be able to get their hands on it during the game's five-day early access period—a perk that comes with owning the $99.99 Digital Premium Edition. Access to the Starfield DLSS 3 mod will presumably require a Patreon payment, however, if PureDark's previous projects are anything to go by.

See full article...

DLSS2 would be more interesting.

I mean, I'd turn on DLSS3 just because, it doesn't really hurt anything, but the fake frames also don't really help.

I also read that they would be dropping raytracing features from the game.

That's not necessarily a big deal if shadow maps and other things have been done well, but most of them time on modern games shadow maps arent done well, because they plan on using raytracing.

I thought DLSS3 only works in combination with DLSS2, not stand alone.
I mean, I'd turn on DLSS3 just because, it doesn't really hurt anything, but the fake frames also don't really help.
It actually hurts, slightly increased lag and graphical glitches likely on UI items and scene changes.

I don't know about all games with it but CB 2077, Hogwarts, and Witcher 3 Enhanced have means of just turning it on by itself. With some it's a singular toggle, others turn on DLSS, turn off for AA, and then on for DLSS3.

I totally agree. I don't care much for DLSS3. For me, it didn't really work well with Witcher 3 and I'm mixed on it with Hogwarts but it does work a lot better there. The added lag is significant and this is coming from someone who's been using wireless controllers and K+M for about a decade now.

I mostly like DLSS2. Sure native is better but most of the time at 4K using the quality settings, it's close enough for my tastes. I am using TAA at 4K with Hogwarts right now and then DLSS3 to bump up the frames but I can still see some jitters when it's adjusting to native frame drops happening at 40-50 fps while bumping it to 60-70. At the moment this is really just experimentation to see how the different setting combinations play out but I might just turn DLSS3 off and stick with DLSS2 for a smoother experience.

It actually hurts, slightly increased lag and graphical glitches likely on UI items and scene changes.

I thought this was going to be the case, but in my personal experience, that wasn't the case.

That said, I've only ever used it in Dying Light 2, but there it was flawless for me.

I didn't notice any difference in choppiness or visual defects with DLSS3 on or off.

It did allow me to max out the refresh rate on my screen, but the game didn't feel any more fluid. You are still going to ahve the 1/(true framerate without generated frames) second input lag no matter what magic frame generation nonsense you use.

DLSS 3 = upscaling + frame gen. Some games my separate the options as "DLSS 2" and "DLSS 3," but you can turn on DLSS 3 and turn off frame gen.

I agree. I tried it in Portal RTX and the added latency was negatively affecting my gameplay. It isn't really needed with the 4090, anyway. If I need DLSS, I just run DLSS quality, at most. It gets Portal RTX to an acceptable frame rate for me.

Become a Patron!
Back