Marvel Confirms That Secret Invasion Did Maria Hill Dirty: “Heartbreaking”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Fans of Maria Hill were stunned last week when the premiere episode of Secret Invasion ended with a scene of the character dying in a pool of her own blood, and while many couldn't believe Marvel Studios could take out a classic character like that, Marvel.com has published a new interview with Cobie Smulders that seems to confirm the actress is out of the MCU for good. "I think it was unexpected for everyone, including myself, but I think it really adds a level of reality," Smulders, who was introduced at the very beginning of the first Avengers movie from 2012, said regarding Hill's apparent death. Fans of Maria Hill had hoped that Secret Invasion would flesh out her relationship with Nick Fury and give her an extended adventure, but instead, the second episode, "Promise," which dropped yesterday with some cool quotes from Samuel L. Jackson, had her in a casket.

See full article...

I'm a Marvel geek so I'll give anything Marvel a try at least. I've been watching this (only two episodes so far), but it isn't that bad. The acting so far is very good IMO. It's only supposed to be six episodes so the story moves quickly. I never really considered Maria Hill a character that was important to any story, so her being gone shouldn't affect things.

It's marvel... In a series invlvong shape changing aliens.... She will be back and this is all marketing.

I've watched almost every Marvel thing to its end except Morbius and Eternals. Started both but didn't finish. This, at least so far, isn't the worst. I liked her character but even before she gets killed, her appearance seemed to be awkward in the first episode. I'll be surprised if she doesn't come back though.

I had been wondering what happened to this character, but since I'm basically out of the MCU now I didn't care about spoilers and read this headline and article. Sounds like another f*cking waste.

It seems I've been making the right choices with my entertainment.
Seems you have indeed.

I've watched almost every Marvel thing to its end except Morbius and Eternals. Started both but didn't finish.
I REALLY f*cking wish I hadn't finished Eternals. You can't get back that precious time of your life that has been wasted.

I saw all the post-Endgame stuff except Morbius, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel. Not sure I'm gonna bother with Secret Invasion either. MCU has lost me by this point. I'm out.

I saw all the post-Endgame stuff except Morbius, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel. Not sure I'm gonna bother with Secret Invasion either. MCU has lost me by this point. I'm out.
Yeah, it's funny how the current slate of Marvel stuff is mirroring how the comic books started to fall apart in the 90s and early 2000s which eventually led to Disney buying them out. At the time Marvel had changed hands, broken up its distributorship for the movie IPs, and rebooted lord knows how many titles, how many times. It was a mess and it was also during that time that I finally bowed out.

Meanwhile, a lot of the stories for the current stuff are being pulled from then to now, with newer odds and ends mixed in, and just as offbeat. I tried to like She-Hulk but ultimately I just remember cringing during it and haven't been able to go back but I appreciate a few things here and there. With Ms. Marvel, I'm a bit more on the fence and my wife enjoyed it. I've mostly enjoyed all the other shows.

What all of these shows remind me of is how in the 80s some fans would ask for their favorite characters to get their own title but often got a 4, 6, or 12-issue limited series instead. Some of these were decent while many were half-baked at best.

At the time Marvel had changed hands, broken up its distributorship for the movie IPs, and rebooted lord knows how many titles, how many times. It was a mess and it was also during that time that I finally bowed out.
That is about the same time frame for me. I started to get tired of all the crossover events that made me buy titles I wasn't interested in just to continue a story. That and the stories just got bland over that time as well.

I'm a Marvel geek so I'll give anything Marvel a try at least. I've been watching this (only two episodes so far), but it isn't that bad.
Just finished the 2nd one yesterday and I'm honestly liking it so far. It could still easily fall off a cliff but I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Become a Patron!
Back