Rumors Surface about EVGA Closing Its Motherboard Division after a Report of Employees, including KINGPIN, Resigning at Its Taiwan Office (Updated)

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Update: TechPowerUp has received an official statement from EVGA stating that the rumors are not true and that the Taiwan office is still open and its staff, including KINGPIN, are still there.

Per TechPowerUp:
“We saw those messages and they are rumors.
Our Taiwan office is still operating and Kingpin is still with EVGA.
EVGA is still doing business and supporting its customers.
Thanks for reaching out”

Rumors surface that EVGA is closing another division following a report that all 170 employees at its Taiwan office have resigned. Famed Overclocker and EVGA brand endorser KINGPIN was reported to be among those who have left. The report comes via another overclocker named Safedisc who posted the news on Coolenjoy tech forums. Not long after this post rumors began to spread across social media that EVGA could be closing its motherboard division.

So as rumors surface it appears there could still be more to the story despite EVGA's Spain office claiming they have not heard anything. There has been speculation regarding KINGPIN and the OC team when EVGA announced it would no longer be producing graphics cards. At the time it was wondered if the team would seek sponsorship elsewhere following a FB post from Vince Lucido (KINGPIN) giving thanks to EVGA and the PC community but also saying that the KINGPIN branding may continue to live on elsewhere.

See full article...

Well, that is one way of ending a company, as the founder/ceo (?) just ends it instead of retiring and enjoying the money. Ego it is then.

I think we can all agree that we seen this coming after they moved on from the video card business.
Its too bad too. But also they have no imagination, AMD has a division of custom chips and such, well if you were really that hurt by nvidias allegedly iron hand, well you could have turned to AMD for some really custom cards. Yes surely you'd have to launch much later, but then could do more of what you wanted
.. How about hbm versions? How about fully custom drivers and so on? Nah ceo just wanted to bring it down, and that is okay too, its sad and sucks for the employees, but that is his prerogative.

Its too bad too. But also they have no imagination, AMD has a division of custom chips and such, well if you were really that hurt by nvidias allegedly iron hand, well you could have turned to AMD for some really custom cards. Yes surely you'd have to launch much later, but then could do more of what you wanted
.. How about hbm versions? How about fully custom drivers and so on? Nah ceo just wanted to bring it down, and that is okay too, its sad and sucks for the employees, but that is his prerogative.
I agree with you. They seemed to basically lose any enthusiasm after their video card department shut down. I was just browsing their site the other day and noticed all their motherboards are out of stock on the Z790 side which seemed odd. It really is a shame as I have a Z690 Classified board here and it's a solid board and would have looked to them again at some point.

I'd say the jury is still out but yeah, it doesn't look good. I spent some time this morning while researching this and checked their FB/Twitter and press/news pages and nada regarding this. I'm on their email flyer list and it's been odd over the last few months as it seems they've been directing a number of product sales through other vendors instead of their own site. Often the links in the flyers go to NewEgg now instead of their own site.

There's been no word on if they're still in a contract with NVIDIA or if a contract with Intel could be a limiting factor in doing anything with AMD either. The biggest sign of life was the announcement about their new ATX 3.0 Gen5 PSUs a couple of weeks ago.

Makes me regret my power supply purchase. I was planning on using this thing for at least the next decade.

Makes me regret my power supply purchase. I was planning on using this thing for at least the next decade.
The fact that they went out of business won't affect the lifespan of your PSU

It might affect a warranty claim, but if it was gonna last 10 years without needing that then that die has already been cast.

Hey, just letting everyone know that I just updated the OP per an official statement from EVGA to TechPowerUp.
That's good to hear - if anything, EVGA has a few niches that it would be nice to see exploited, like the motherboards and PSUs of course, but there's always room for quality peripherals with quality support behind them too.

As much as I like EVGA (I've owned several GPUs and MBs for years and still rocking a RTX 3070Ti), I think its done. Hopefully I'm wrong, but they just don't have the presence they had before giving up the gpu business.

Meanwhile, nvidia skyrocketed to a trillion dollar company; not because of its gaming market, but still... care to guess who made the wrong decition?

When you're privately owned it's important you value yourself and your company with pride. That means not letting companies take advantage of you. I still hope they get things sorted and get with AMD. AMD could use a dedicated AIB and motherboard vendor.

Become a Patron!
Back