Ubisoft CEO Says That the Microsoft Activision Blizzard Deal Is Good for the Mobile Gaming Industry as It Pushes Forward into the Market

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot weighed in on Microsoft's bid to purchase Activision Blizzard by saying that it would be good for the mobile gaming market. The impact on the mobile gaming market has been one of several details under examination by regulators around the world as the deal works its way to completion. Guillemot expressed positive sentiment for it as Ubisoft has already been proceeding with its own partnerships to expand into the mobile gaming industry.

See full article...

I have to agree entirely.

Microsoft will almost certainly run King into the ground, opening up the market for other players.

I have to agree entirely.

Microsoft will almost certainly run King into the ground, opening up the market for other players.
Exactly, they will infuse every aspect of Activision/ Blizzard with that hard to define yet easy to recognize corporate beige MS seems to spread everywhere. I don't know what it is, is kind of like when they are eating the strawberries in that weird movie Vivarium. Doesn't mean I totally avoid everything MS, but I agree, in the end they might have the IP, they may or may not keep the key people, or may or may not constrain them to oblivion if the manage to keep them.

Ms might find a path to legitimize mobile gaming with the PC gamer crowd through useful crossover.

No gamer is interested in mobile gaming. That's the playing field of casuals, an entirely separate market. They want to focus on that fine, but don't come crawling back to us if it fails.

No gamer is interested in mobile gaming. That's the playing field of casuals, an entirely separate market. They want to focus on that fine, but don't come crawling back to us if it fails.
there are things they can do via the mobile app that will work for us filthy non casual gamers. Hell FFXIV is doing it already and Blizzard has done similar before.

1. Offer us some sort of in game boon (even stupid and for otherwise single player is fine.) to use the mobile app while away. Let us send out minions to do our bidding in trade or whatever. Basically even in a scifi universe they gould give us tradewars as a phone game integrated into the Game.

If you're old enough to remember the BBS turn based Trade Wars you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hell a LOT of those old BBS games could work well as an online game with a mobile face on it. It was a BBS gamer something Dragon Inn is another. I know there is a board game Red Dragon Inn but I'm not sure if that's it.

Last edited:
there are things they can do via the mobile app that will work for us filthy non casual gamers. Hell FFXIV is doing it already and Blizzard has done similar before.

1. Offer us some sort of in game boon (even stupid and for otherwise single player is fine.) to use the mobile app while away. Let us send out minions to do our bidding in trade or whatever. Basically even in a scifi universe they gould give us tradewars as a phone game integrated into the Game.
Having to engage with a game when I'm not actually playing it sounds like work to me.

And they'd make it mandatory to force you to install their app. After all you can collect much more information over a phone about a person.

They are no longer trying to make games more fun to get you to play them more, they are looking for ploys to drive up engagement even at the detriment to the experience. Like nerfing progress, to make you grind. This is also why we get things like daily login bonuses and such nonsense. As soon as you start a game for any other reason than you wanted to play that game becomes work instead of leisure.

Having to engage with a game when I'm not actually playing it sounds like work to me.

And they'd make it mandatory to force you to install their app. After all you can collect much more information over a phone about a person.

They are no longer trying to make games more fun to get you to play them more, they are looking for ploys to drive up engagement even at the detriment to the experience. Like nerfing progress, to make you grind. This is also why we get things like daily login bonuses and such nonsense. As soon as you start a game for any other reason than you wanted to play that game becomes work instead of leisure.
Oh I agree to this 100% My wife plays a bunch of those on her tablet. "I gotta do my xxx actions in these games."

The best thing that could happen to the mobile gaming industry?

🚽 Whoosh!

Many would hate me, but I'd include the Games as a Service (GaaS) industry as well. Remember to flush twice. Whoosh! We can make an exception for the handful of honest games that might exist.

Install our mobile app and "like" us on <insert social media platform> to redeem your "free" DLC for <single-player game>. No. 📵
Keep that filthy mobile crap away from my single-player games, and I won't flush your MMOs down the toilet. ;)

Yeah, it really is a shame that the mobile gaming market is such crap and so sketchy to boot. I use Android tablets for portable media playback and will occasionally try out a game here and there and I'm impressed at how good the graphics can look these days. Sort of PS3-4/DX10-early DX11 era. I know there's more to it than that, just using it as a reference. I've tried a couple of RPGs, racing, and pinball games and was impressed with what they were but I never got too far into them.

Become a Patron!
Back