Modder Installs Ubuntu on Nintendo Switch and Then Proceeds to Massively Overclock Its CPU and GPU to Play Modern PC Games

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
It turns out there may be a sleeping dragon lurking inside the Nintendo Switch waiting to be awakened. Techtuber Geekerwan has shown how it's possible to take the portable handheld gaming device to new levels with some relatively easy steps for those used to tweaking their hardware settings. The modder installs Ubuntu to gain access to PC games via Steam and then modifies some config files for overlocking the device. Following those steps it becomes clear that the NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor and Maxwell-based GPU are just waiting for the chance to stretch their legs.

Geekerwan manages to overclock the 1 GHz CPU to a whopping 2.3 GHz and the GPU (768 MHz docked/460 MHz handheld mode) to 1,267 MHz. Unfortunately, even at these impressive speeds, the Nintendo Switch is still not capable of providing much more than single-digit FPS for demanding games such as God of War or GTA V in 720P at medium settings.

See full article...

I wonder what he uses for overclocking, I'd like to OC my ShieldTV.

I wonder what he uses for overclocking, I'd like to OC my ShieldTV.
I don't have a lot of experience in tweaking Android but in watching the video it looked as simple as changing or adding a line in a cfg file like we do for modding a game. He does show how in the video but I forget at which point.

Become a Patron!
Back