Meta Shifts Its Gears as It Cancels Development for the Quest Pro 2 While Moving Forward with the Quest 3

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The Quest Pro 2 has been shelved as Meta shifts its gears to focus on its 3rd generation of the Quest line of AR/VR/MR headsets. News of Meta's change in priorities is not a completely unforeseen decision given that the Quest 3 is already said to be launching with impressive specs and at a competitive price. The Quest Pro launched in October 2022 with a price tag of $1,499, which was then lowered to $1,000, and while that may now seem like a low price compared to Apple's recently announced $3,499 Vision Pro, consumers could show more interest in a more affordable $499 option that will be provided by the Quest 3.

See full article...

I'm curious about VR and want to try it at some point, but as long as they require a online account, they are a never buy for me.

I'd be leaning more towards one of the HTC Vive products if I bought in today.

I do not buy hardware that requires being tied to online accounts.

That said, it will probably be some time before I buy anything VR/AR. I want there to be actual good titles to use first, not just stupid parlor games like the Wii.

Once every AAA title comes out with VR support out of the box, then I'll start thinking about it.

I have absolutely zero interest in "the metaverse". I will never create a 3D avatar of myself and attend some form of dumbass VR second life bullshit. Not going to happen. I will die on this hill. If this becomes something people do at work in meetings, I will quit.

Last edited:
I'm curious about VR and want to try it at some point, but as long as they require a online account, they are a never buy for me.

I'd be leaning more towards one of the HTC Vive products if I bought in today.

I do not buy hardware that requires being tied to online accounts.

That said, it will probably be some time before I buy anything VR/AR. I want there to be actual good titles to use first, not just stupid parlor games like the Wii.

Once every AAA title comes out with VR support out of the box, then I'll start thinking about it.

I have absolutely zero interest in "the metaverse". I will never create a 3D avatar of myself and attend some form of dumbass VR second life bullshit. Not going to happen. I will die on this hill. If this becomes something people do at work in meetings, I will quit.
I'm in the same boat, I'd like to try it but I'm not willing to spend €1000+ on a device that may potentially end up collecting dust. Actually I was inches from pulling the trigger on a Oculus set, just before they announced the facebook account requirement. I dodged a bullet there.

I was viciously attacked by VR fans for suggesting that it is just a fad, but it is already loosing popularity compared to the peak of its hype when Alyx came out. Which seems to be proving me right. There are no AAA VR games in the pipeline that I know of. VR is only supported by a handful of indie titles and niche games like racing / flight sims.

But it is a chicken and the egg problem. You can't make a proper VR game if it must also be playable without VR. And there aren't enough VR users out there to restrict your customer base to just them. Unless you are willing to loose money to help the sales of VR sets. Or you can recoup development costs by selling hardware like valve does with the index. And even they don't seem to be that enthusiastic after Alyx to make more VR games.

Become a Patron!
Back